The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

This is the by now traditional 'entire movie in 2 minutes' trailer, so if you don't want to watch Ghost in the Shell, watch this and save yourself 2 hours and £10.

As is... I'm not an anime fan, or manga, so I'm never going to watch or read the original Ghost in the Shell, and I know nothing about it. Having watched this, I now know the entire plot, and it seems a fairly cool idea that might have been done badly. It also seems to crash between looking **** fantastic and a bit ropey.

I've a sneaking suspicion this is going to end being a demo disc for new TVs for the foreseeable future, and critically mauled.

14 hours ago, Xela said:

David Brent movie. 8/10. I really liked it, but I am a massive fan of Gervais

I'm a massive Gervais fan too, as you know, but I didn't really like it.

It was alright, don't get me wrong, but I think my expectations were too high.

Watched two movies this weekend

Bad Neighbours 2 - a solid 5/10. Whilst there were some genuinely funny (and gross) moments it had a vey flat middle section. Chloe Moretz was the worst I've probably seen her in a film, but it still passed an easy 90 minutes.

Wars Dogs - I'd give it 6.5/10. Based on true events, surrounding two Miami based twenty-somethings who get into arms dealing. Both Jonah Hill and Miles Teller were decent and the events pretty amazing considering how anyone could bid on US government military orders... Typically greed, drugs and sloppiness lead to it all cocking up. Worth a watch (along with Nic Cage's Lords Of War - which is also decent)

Now off to the cinema to watch Lego Batman!

Edited by theboyangel

14 hours ago, Chindie said:

This is the by now traditional 'entire movie in 2 minutes' trailer, so if you don't want to watch Ghost in the Shell, watch this and save yourself 2 hours and £10.

As is... I'm not an anime fan, or manga, so I'm never going to watch or read the original Ghost in the Shell, and I know nothing about it. Having watched this, I now know the entire plot, and it seems a fairly cool idea that might have been done badly. It also seems to crash between looking **** fantastic and a bit ropey.

I've a sneaking suspicion this is going to end being a demo disc for new TVs for the foreseeable future, and critically mauled.

Fwiw seeing the original movie and/or reading the manga would only get you so far in regards to the plot of this. It appears to be an amalgamation of the original movie, and the anime series Stand Alone Complex and Arise - in the anime canon they're each set in alternate universies, where the Major is quite different in each. 

I was under the impression that the movie was following the story of SoC, a smart move as it's probably the best (if not most iconic) iteration - but this trailer suggests that the focus is on her origin, which Arise deals with in part (plus she wears a red suit from Arise in the new movie) whilst also keeping some of the most memorable scenes from the original. 

Time will tell if the right decision has been made story wise - whether dealing with an origin story first, and then dealing with another villain(s) if it does well at the box office, perhaps - marvel styley. 

2 hours ago, sne said:

The new Underworld movie was as expected, meh.

Really quite liked the first 2 but now I only watch them because of Kate Beckinsale.

I've always been amazed at how many of those they continue to make.

its made $80m on a $35m budget, the cast cant cost them much and they're fortunate that prague fits the theme perfectly, i doubt they pay much to film there, they do hardly any promotion

she's in pretty much nothing else so whether or not she's keen to keep it going

they're doing a sixth, its like fast and the furious, awful films but as long as they keep making money they'll have a reason to keep making films

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Lego batman movie is brilliant and has more than enough for adults watching with their kids.

no doubts, it will be seen again

Mark's out of 10 lad ....I won't get upset if it doesn't match up with what the critics say ......:trollface:

I'm looking forward to it.  I thought they nailed the humour in the first one and I fully expect they'll do it again, and I've only heard good things.

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'm looking forward to it.  I thought they nailed the humour in the first one and I fully expect they'll do it again, and I've only heard good things.

There are many laugh out loud moments I assure you. 

And several jokes that go over the kids heads (luckily!) for the adults to chuckle at! 

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm a massive Gervais fan too, as you know, but I didn't really like it.

It was alright, don't get me wrong, but I think my expectations were too high.

I was the opposite. I was worried it would be awful so was pleasantly surprised. 

Its not The Office, which is a genuine 10/10 show, but I enjoyed the film. Some genuine brilliant Brent moments. 

Â