Pre-match thread - not a cup final!

8 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

If Talksport is anything to go by I swear that ALL english clubs have been knocked out of Europe. More interested in JT and his racist spat with Anton Ferdinand and a boxer yet again failing a drug test.

They were talking about us in the first hour.

3 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

I haven’t been this excited about a Euro Semi since watching Eurotrash in my earlier years! 

Fearing we’re running on fumes but hoping we have enough to get the job done!

The no excuse mantra will see us through....Unai is right, its an opportunity for the peripherals, to show their worth and state their case.

Like " you've knocked my door, now show me"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

They were talking about us in the first hour.

Were they?! I've sat listening since they came on air and didn't hear them talking about us.

We need a really solid defensive performance this evening. I know it might seem smart to go gung ho and try kill the tie but, a bit like the first leg in Amsterdam, we need to be smart. 

We are missing so many players so I think the team kinda picks itself. 

Olson

Konsa Carlos Pau Digne

McGinn Luiz Rodgers

Bailey Olly Diaby

I do fear Unai might push Cash into midfield and move Rodgers forward and keep Diaby on the bench. 

6 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

430am KO, just the way I like it...

For some reason I just feel like we are going to batter them..

I know what you mean. I think, because we know what's in store for us next week - or maybe we have a healthy respect for what's in store for us next week - we may go all out to put it to bed tonight. If we click like we can, and if we can get an early goal and make a mess of any low block gameplan they started the game with, I can see a 3 or 4 like Ajax.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BOF said:

I know what you mean. I think, because we know what's in store for us next week - or maybe we have a healthy respect for what's in store for us next week - we may go all out to put it to bed tonight. If we click like we can, and if we can get an early goal and make a mess of any low block gameplan they started the game with, I can see a 3 or 4 like Ajax.

I didn't really know why I felt like that, but you're totally right... I think if we are to progress we need to be clinical, our players have gone to the well so many times recently that we need some luck as well.

They will come to the match to be nothing but difficult and horrible and it will be even worse next week.

We need a performance for the ages!

2-0 after 30 minutes is my prediction 

48 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

If Talksport is anything to go by I swear that ALL english clubs have been knocked out of Europe. More interested in JT and his racist spat with Anton Ferdinand and a boxer yet again failing a drug test.

BBC football page is the same. They've done their usual roundup of the papers' back pages, and even though several of them had big spreads covering us (Matty Cash saying we don't get enough respect), they just focused on the small strip across the top about Sancho. 

Point proven, I think, Cashy. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Were they?! I've sat listening since they came on air and didn't hear them talking about us.

Definitely spoke about us in the first hour or so. Both said they hope Villa go through and win the competition.  

Posted (edited)

Even though I'm in Australia, I listen to a lot of Talksport... We have been spoken about on there heaps. Cundy and O'Hara were genuinely staggered by Cash's comments, I found them a bit baffling.

The only person I've heard be short of praise for us is Goldstein, and he's just a bitter twisted United fan 😅

I don't know about all media but Talksport have been nothing but fair as far as us being a discussion piece.

Edited by Villan_of_oz

50 minutes ago, TRO said:

The no excuse mantra will see us through....Unai is right, its an opportunity for the peripherals, to show their worth and state their case.

Like " you've knocked my door, now show me"

Spot on. The harder we work the luckier we get. That’s true now, always has been and always will be. Being good at anything is always a challenge but always has its rewards if you’re prepared to work to overcome the challenges and not accept excuses. Now is definitely the time. UTV!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Olympiakos are no mugs. If we're going to win this we need to be on it, all game, full effort and concentration. 

12 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Olympiakos are no mugs. If we're going to win this we need to be on it, all game, full effort and concentration. 

yeah, they have beaten Spam already this year in Greece, and only lost 1-0 in London, in the return fixture.

They aint no mugs.