Pre-match thread - not a cup final!

Really looking forward to it aswell, will finish work a bit early and go straight from there to b6 then chill in the midlands for the weekend. I think that Ajax and Lille were the best teams and we played them already so I’m hoping we can rack up a bit of a buffer in the first leg making it a bit easier for us fans a week later! 

• Like 2

I shall be watching this from "The Pub" in Peurto Rico GC. If Mrs T doesn't put up a fight. As its our first night. Or atTiffany's bar (the owner is a villa fan) second leg same place 

Edited by Robtaylor200
  • Like 4

They're not as good as Lille.

Looking at their squad and plenty of experience. Vicente Iborra as DM in midfield is 36. El Arabi their main CF is 37 and Jovetic comes in at a youthful 34. Their main danger will be Podence on loan from Wolves who caused us issues at VP last season.

I think we can take a 2 goal lead to Greece and that should be enough.

Mendilibar is their coach so it will be a very very low block for this leg so we'll have to be patient. Really hope Unai just dosen't treat it like a chess match due to facing a compatriot as he overthought the Wolves games last season facing Lopetegui and that played into their hands more than ours.

Can see us winning this 3-1.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

They're not as good as Lille.

Looking at their squad and plenty of experience. Vicente Iborra as DM in midfield is 36. El Arabi their main CF is 37 and Jovetic comes in at a youthful 34. Their main danger will be Podence on loan from Wolves who caused us issues at VP last season.

I think we can take a 2 goal lead to Greece and that should be enough.

Mendilibar is their coach so it will be a very very low block for this leg so we'll have to be patient. Really hope Unai just dosen't treat it like a chess match due to facing a compatriot as he overthought the Wolves games last season facing Lopetegui and that played into their hands more than ours.

Can see us winning this 3-1.

I know little about how they play but we sometimes really struggle against the low block/park the bus type teams I  hope this isn’t going to be one of them, we need to take goals and a clean sheet to Greece.

Edited by zab6359

Mmmm, not sure what Emery is going to do here? A change in formation maybe without the added protection of Martinez and Tielemans? Three at the back and four across midfield?

………………..….Olsen……………………..

..…Konsa…….Carlos…….Pau……

Cash…..McGinn…..Luiz……Digne

………………….Rogers….……………

…….……..Bailey………Watkins…………….

Subs: Gauci, KKH, Munroe, Lenglet, Chambers, Iroegbunum, Kellyman, Diaby, Duran

Watching Bailey even in the warm up last night he was wincing and feeling his knee. He isn’t right at all at present and could probably do with sitting this one out but needs must maybe?

Alternatively, tried and trusted formation:

……………...…….Olsen…………………..

Cash…..Konsa……Pau…..Digne

………….McGinn……..Luiz……….

Bailey..….….Rogers……..Diaby

………………..…Watkins….……………..

Subs: Gauci, KKH, Munroe, Carlos, Lenglet, Chambers, Iroegbunum, Kellyman, Duran

Taking any lead into the away leg will do here. I don’t think even a draw would be a disaster, as we’d hopefully have Martinez, Tielemans and Zaniolo available for the return tie to boost the squad.  UTV 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

……………...…….Olsen…………………..

Cash…..Konsa……Pau…..Digne

………….McGinn……..Luiz……….

Bailey..….….Rogers……..Diaby

………………..…Watkins….……………..

It’ll be this unless for some reason (freshness, fitness, injury niggle) Carlos or Lenglet get a run out in defence.

Once again this lot get a break in between the two legs so we’re going to have to win it the hard way. We’re running on fumes at this stage but back the boys to score a couple at home and get it done over two legs

On 26/04/2024 at 11:47, ender4 said:

Anyone else really excited about this game already?

Big time. Our first semi-final in any European competition since 1982, before I was born. It is time for new stories to add to our wonderful history.

It wasn't that long ago we were getting ready for Championship play off semi finals, it shows the journey that we have been on.

They will be fresher but we have Emery the don of European football. He won't accept anything other than a win from the players even if our squad is down to the bare bones.

• Like 1

After this weekend's fixtures, Olympiakos is still embroiled in a four-way title race with 2 or 3 matches left for each team. They're in 4th, 5 points off the lead, but they control their own destiny because they play all three teams ahead of them and have a game in hand on two of them.

However, that probably will not be much of a distraction for them. Next weekend is an off week the entire Greek league because of Greek Orthodox Easter, so they have no more league matches until after both legs against us. They can go all-out against us on Thursday and still be well-rested for the following Thursday.

3 hours ago, TomC said:.

However, that probably will not be much of a distraction for them. Next weekend is an off week the entire Greek league because of Greek Orthodox Easter, so they have no more league matches until after both legs against us. They can go all-out against us on Thursday and still be well-rested for the following Thursday.

That’s interesting to know, I thought the Greek FA had just given them a break like the French did for Lille.

Just glad I'm not sat in an airport for this one. I've missed a disproportionate amount of European games this season because of that. And I fly again this weekend, but thankfully it's a Friday. So with Emi out, I'll be watching this one from behind the sofa instead.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1