Pre-match thread - not a cup final!

Hopefully we've learned from the Lille tie that although you can get through the early stages with minimal effort (which i think was by design to manage workload across the season, particularly given injuries), as you get further into the competition you are going to come up against decent sides and you suddenly need to switch it on -  I think we struggled to do that against Lille.

Still annoying that West Ham's run to the final last year was Larnaca, Gent then AZ Alkmaar; and we get Ajax, Lille and Olympiacos, which i think is much tougher.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, andym said:

Hopefully we've learned from the Lille tie that although you can get through the early stages with minimal effort (which i think was by design to manage workload across the season, particularly given injuries), as you get further into the competition you are going to come up against decent sides and you suddenly need to switch it on -  I think we struggled to do that against Lille.

Still annoying that West Ham's run to the final last year was Larnaca, Gent then AZ Alkmaar; and we get Ajax, Lille and Olympiacos, which i think is much tougher.

Undoubtedly we've had a harder run. Be a strange coincidence if we do end up with Fiorentina in the final. Like groundhog day for them. Another English side that play in claret and blue 😂 

Edited by NorthEastVillan

3 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

we can not win the tie tonight but we can most certainly lose it 

Exactly. We do however have a chance to put it to bed though. Go full tilt and take a 2-3 goal lead to Greece and effectively have one and a half feet in the final.

1 hour ago, andym said:

True, but at least it's not as tough as all those poor souls who came up against Aston Villa :P 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I have no idea how good Olympiacos are now days, yet I feel like we have it in us to get the job done 

They were in the Europa League this season and dropped down to Conference League after finishing 3rd in their Europa group. 

They were in the Champions League last season and dropped down to Europa League after finishing 3rd in their CL group.

Their current manager won the Europa League last season with Sevilla.

Their current form is Won 5, Drawn 1 and Lost 0 in the last 6 matches.

Edited by ender4
  • Like 1

We there yet lads or what?!!

bloody hell working night security in Sunny Queensland Oz pacing up and down, punching dart after after waiting for 4:30. Only 5hrs to go. I’ll chucking patrons out left, right and centre if they’re not out by an hour to kick off!!! 

The Beer From up Here 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

BBC football page is the same. They've done their usual roundup of the papers' back pages, and even though several of them had big spreads covering us (Matty Cash saying we don't get enough respect), they just focused on the small strip across the top about Sancho. 

Point proven, I think, Cashy. 

At least The Grauniad are Loud and proud in there promotion of the Villa cause........! eeesshhhh

123.jpg

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

BBC football page is the same. They've done their usual roundup of the papers' back pages, and even though several of them had big spreads covering us (Matty Cash saying we don't get enough respect), they just focused on the small strip across the top about Sancho. 

Point proven, I think, Cashy. 

This actually has gotten funnier as the day went on. 

Just before lunch their daily live page had a post that said, paraphrasing, What's to come? Well we'll have buildup to Aston Villa in their big European semifinal tonight, and updates from PL managers press conferences. 

They then deleted that and replaced it with effectively the same thing, but all about Manchester United with no mention of Villa. It's **** pathetic.

14 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

I wonder how many viewers they’ll be tonight across the world 

There’s a big gathering in Brisbane tonight for the game. Would’ve gone but working and an hour from me. Loads of us in Oz.

The Beer From up Here

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ender4 said:

They were in the Europa League this season and dropped down to Conference League after finishing 3rd in their Europa group. 

They were in the Champions League last season and dropped down to Europa League after finishing 3rd in their CL group.

Their current manager won the Europa League last season with Sevilla.

Their current form is Won 5, Drawn 1 and Lost 0 in the last 6 matches.

So they’re pretty good then 😬