Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Spurs

limpid

Match Polls  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/03/24 at 23:59

Just now, Paul33 said:

Emery got tactically undressed in that one ..... never a need to make such changes at home. Let his players down !

I feel like it’s more that we undressed ourselves. (And please no Kenneths.)

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Possibly, but we’ve shown a tendency to bounce back from poor results.

Losing McGinn is my biggest worry. He’s our heartbeat and I’m not sure we can cope without him in midfield. 

Yeah we don't do losses. Always need to lose a player too, Red card or ACL or whatever 

Spurs are actually shit too… the commentator raves about them but they’re a shit side with a chancer for a manager… they’ll get found out

IMG_1794.png

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Changing our approach for them and then losing feels way worse than if we had just given it a go in our usual way.

What is our way? We played turgid against Ajax midweek

We're just not set up for Thursday (away)/Sunday. Not enough quality depth and another low energy performance as a result.

Bad day at the office. We move on.

Lots of talk of the setup being wrong, but spurs had very few if any shots in the first half. We then concede the first (a pretty much inch perfect cross to set it up) and then gift them a second. Not sure the setup was the issue there, except for Konsa's lack of options in buildup.

Probably still in the game until our captain puts in an idiotic challenge and, deservedly imo, gets sent off.

Bigger issue today was any time we were in promising areas we picked the wrong pass, or played the right pass poorly.

Ref was pretty good, actually.

• Like 3

Just now, Don_Simon said:

Forum warning points need to be given for anyone who uses the phrase "bottled it".

Tbh Emery did lose his bottle today. 5atb at home against Spurs is cowardly and pathetic tbh 

2 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

We have so massively over performed so far this season that something like this was always going to happen.

Playing against 12 week in week out is going to take a toll and the ref was Spurs best performer today. 

No doubt all sky will talk about is spurs but the game was decided on a clear pen not given. And a soft red card for McGinn that if it was the other way around we would never get.  

Completely incorrect!

We wasn't at our best, it happens, we move on. I'm expecting a win against Alax which will pick us up for the game against Wet Spam, which is obviously the preverbial must win.

• Like 1

Well that was chastening wasn't it? To start I feel that Emery set out a team because he was frightened by the potency of Spurs attack. I think this was a mistake, but to some degree his hand was forced by injury. I would have preferred to be on the front foot at home and so I feel he got it wrong from the start. Having said that the first half was fine and an even contest between two evenly matched teams. Second half the wheels fell off big time. No complaint about their first, quality cross and finish, that happens. But from the moment Konsa gave away the second goal we lost our heads starting with our captain who really should know better, and has cost the team far more than the three points lost today. We did show some signs of threat after that, but we were always vulnerable to Spurs who have quality to punish the best of sides. The 4-0 is on the captain and I'm sure he will admit that.

Plenty of points still to play for so we can and should qualify for Europe again, which is progression. Come the summer I would not be against selling one of our big names if it meant it would fund three quality replacements. We need a stronger squad, and one with a stronger constitution.

Tactics wise was wrong today and player wise was wrong today.

Wish I'd gone out for bloody mothers day now 🤦

Teilemens on the left doesn't work, it just doesn't. Against poor opposition you can get away with his lack of energy, against strong sides you can't. 

Bailey central ? 

5 at the back ?

Lost the midfield battle as soon as that team sheet was published.

Mcginns red card, it looked to me like he was late but caught him with his knee rather than booting him but only saw it from one angle. No complaints with the red though.

Zaniolo and big Tim did ok when they came on, diaby was a total disaster.

You know its a terrible day when werner scores 

Some self reflection required from the manager, down to all the players after that.

6 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Pathetic team, pathetic mentality. Wrong approach from the start and once again we’ve lost at home to a top half team. And not just lost but totally embarrassed.

We’re just a small provincial club these days with the odd good season. We have financial issues and our ambition in January was to sign a mid table championship player. We’ve been in this position many times before and bottled it. Back to mid table next season I reckon.

Hi I'm a fish, you caught me well done 🐠

• Haha 2