Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Spurs

limpid

Match Polls  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/03/24 at 23:59

14 hours ago, duke313 said:

Finishing 6th now would feel like a kick in the balls.

But maybe that's our current level, maybe we punched above our weight the first half of the season and it's now balancing out.  99% of fans at the start of the season would have taken 6th and a Europa Conference run.

People will post about our form not being great since the Man City/Arsenal games but it seems evident that we were over performing up to that point and now the league is balancing itself out. Bit like the media was getting carried away with Spurs after those first 10 games where they won 8/10, they were over performing. 

We will finish where we deserve at the end of the season whether that’s 4th, 5th or 6th. Personally think 10 games is a lot of football to still be played and there will be twists and turns for both sides over that time. 5 wins 2 draws 3 losses is what I predict but difficult to tell what position that is going to be good enough for. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichW said:

People will post about our form not being great since the Man City/Arsenal games but it seems evident that we were over performing up to that point and now the league is balancing itself out. Bit like the media was getting carried away with Spurs after those first 10 games where they won 8/10, they were over performing. 

We will finish where we deserve at the end of the season whether that’s 4th, 5th or 6th. Personally think 10 games is a lot of football to still be played and there will be twists and turns for both sides over that time. 5 wins 2 draws 3 losses is what I predict but difficult to tell what position that is going to be good enough for. 

It will be at least 5th unless Man U win every single game pretty much. Knowing those shits they probably will

Edited by VillaJ100

The Sky narrative is definitely going to be to put pressure on us because they want Man Utd to finish as high as possible and in the CL places. All they care about is viewing figures and there are tons of fair-weather fans who will tune in if Man Utd are on a roll but not be arsed if they aren't. Of course they'll be having a word with their presenters to try and pile on the pressure by casting doubt on our credentials, but you know what? F**k it. Unai is an incredible manager and he has handled the pressure of being at clubs that don't have the backing of the league/media before. We're not getting a better manager than him and so he's our best chance of achieving something for a change. 

2 hours ago, RichW said:

I'd be happy enough with that, means United would need 9 wins out of 10.

We should have tried to do it the way we beat Arsenal, early momentum, the crowd behind us, a quick goal and  then pull the shutters down.

I'm firmly behind the manager but that doesn't mean he's averse to criticism, especially when it seems there's some justification to it. 

I alluded to how we sometimes can let teams find their feet in games, that's not how we managed to win all those games at VP.  

There was a reason for McGinn,s anger, and to me, it seemed borne out of frustration at Spurs being able to pass the ball to a teammate wily - nily. 

That doesn't excuse his lack of discipline, but it does help, imo, to explain it.

I'm still hopeful that we can achieve our aims of at least some silverware and 4th or 5th, but we need to regain the self - belief that has enabled us to have those aims, especially at VP.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Nah I'm still a believer. Unai just needs to go back to trusting the team.

5th at worst - but I think 4th.

6th would require both a monumental collapse by us and an incredible run by United.

I thinks its about form and the last 10 games show Man U slightly ahead, even Wolves are too.....so we have dropped off, compared to our early season form....ppg confirms that.

What we do over the next 10 games, will be interesting.....I guess we all hope we have done enough, earlier in the season, to see us over the line.

If we do end up 6th....I don't see it, as a monumental collapse.....I see it more as a fading or running out of steam.

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

I thinks its about form and the last 10 games show Man U slightly ahead, even Wolves are too.....so we have dropped off, compared to our early season form....ppg confirms that.

What we do over the next 10 games, will be interesting.....I guess we all hope we have done enough, earlier in the season, to see us over the line.

If we do end up 6th....I don't see it, as a monumental collapse.....I see it more as a fading or running out of steam.

It would be close to as bad of a collapse as you can get. 

Spurs were 8 points ahead last year and had to go onto 1 PPG collapse during the last 10 matches and we had to go 2 PPG to overtake them and we still needed a win on the last day. 

Obviously not impossible. 

Since the new year we have a 1.62 PPG over 8 matches. We don’t need to be particularly great the last 10 matches to get 70 points. 

Â