Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Spurs

limpid

Match Polls  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/03/24 at 23:59

We look like a team who just played a game 4 days ago. Spurs were the liver side. Also, cash as your wide right attacker at home is too negative for me. Hopefully we don't see that again. 

11 minutes ago, adw95 said:

Lots of talk of the setup being wrong, but spurs had very few if any shots in the first half. We then concede the first (a pretty much inch perfect cross to set it up) and then gift them a second. Not sure the setup was the issue there, except for Konsa's lack of options in buildup.

Probably still in the game until our captain puts in an idiotic challenge and, deservedly imo, gets sent off.

Bigger issue today was any time we were in promising areas we picked the wrong pass, or played the right pass poorly.

Ref was pretty good, actually.

This

Just now, NorthEastVillan said:

4 in 5 losses at VP is a bit worrying. No McGinn for 3 matches and we now seem very vulnerable at home. Sad that we may end up looking back at what might have been yet again.  I've had better Sundays to be fair.

We always do it. 1999, 2009, you can now add 2024 to times when we’ve totally and utterly bottled it at the business end of the season.

I don’t see us bouncing back. As people have said, home form is completely out the window, injuries are bad, our silly captain is now suspended for three games, and losing 4-0 at home to a team below us is going to seriously damage our belief. 

So much negative news recently too. Stadium expansion plans paused, FFP issues in the press, and then in January in a position of great strength we only signed Rogers an average championship player and a right back who we loaned back to his club for the season.

Hopefully the wheels aren’t falling off already so early into Emery’s tenure.

Just now, lexicon said:

It was tiredness and complacency in the 2nd half that cost us - the system was fine. 

The system was passive. It was about containment. We had no real forward threat and simply asked for them to attack. When you set up like that any tiny mistake will more than often result in a chance on goal for the opposition.

• Like 4

Losing McGinn for 3 games is worse than losing the game today… I’m worried about our central midfield and general lack of energy and drive without John in there… we are so short on (quality) options…

Injuries have really killed us but suspensions have hurt us too…

The squad has been too depleted… and the few options we have have lost confidence and form…

Huge challenge for Unai now…

Today is a big setback… I can’t deny that’s it’s hit my positivity and belief…

But… we have no choice but to keep fighting and see how things turn out…

Regardless… we are a transformed club and team, it’s been an age since we were competing so high in the league… it’s completely new for these players and is a learning experience they will gain a lot from…

Today was bad though… no getting away from it.

We have to overcome this and fast…

• Like 1

Stated in the pre-match thread that I felt the game today would come down to whether Villa had the mentality to win a 6 pointer as time and time again they had bottled it.

Further stated that I didn’t think so and Spurs would win comfortably!

Unfortunately prediction came through as it was a complete bottle job by the Villa players who to a man were awful and McGinn’s red was fully warranted!

Villa have a soft underbelly which was exposed yet again by a top team who totally outclassed Villa from minute one of the game.

I also expressed my opinion earlier this season on here that Villa wouldn’t qualify for the Champions League as I didn’t think they did enough in the January transfer market to achieve that.

Failure to strengthen properly in January and having to play the same players in Europe plus the league is now biting Villa in the arse.

If you couple that with a soft underbelly you get what you see now over recent performances.

It might also culminate in defeat against Ajax at home on Thursday?

This game went badly from the off I noticed in the first minute how fast they were.

the five at the back didn’t work

several players really didn’t turn up.

captain banned for three games

lost three points when everyone else picked up three and even lost our goal difference advantage.

The midfield looks tired and now only has three players left one of which is a youth player.

Worst thing about today was that spunk trumpet scoring and doing his stupid darts celebration. 

Would love to throw darts at him, Coventry scum 🤣😂

• Like 2

Poor from the first minute, I know the sending off didn't help but even with eleven we were second best. I gave Cash man of the match because he was the least worst player to be honest.

I hope the team can pick themselves up for Thursday now because I thought that performance was worrying.

Typical over reaction on here as always. 

It was poor but it was fairly evenly poised at half time with neither team showing any real quality. We potentially shaded the first. 

Second half we imploded against what is a good team. The red card was soft in my opinion and put an end to any hope of getting back into the game. 

Injuries and fatigue got the better of us and they looked the fresher team, which they should be given we played on Thursday and are down to the bare bones. 

• Like 1

Just now, striker said:

Stated in the pre-match thread that I felt the game today would come down to whether Villa had the mentality to win a 6 pointer as time and time again they had bottled it.

Further stated that I didn’t think so and Spurs would win comfortably!

Unfortunately prediction came through as it was a complete bottle job by the Villa players who to a man were awful and McGinn’s red was fully warranted!

Villa have a soft underbelly which was exposed yet again by a top team who totally outclassed Villa from minute one of the game.

I also expressed my opinion earlier this season on here that Villa wouldn’t qualify for the Champions League as I didn’t think they did enough in the January transfer market to achieve that.

Failure to strengthen properly in January and having to play the same players in Europe plus the league is now biting Villa in the arse.

If you couple that with a soft underbelly you get what you see now over recent performances.

It might also culminate in defeat against Ajax at home on Thursday?

I said the same about January and was repeatedly told we didn’t need another DCM because of Tim and we didn’t need another right back because of Konsa 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Just now, Hiney said:

Typical over reaction on here as always. 

It was poor but it was fairly evenly poised at half time with neither team showing any real quality. We potentially shaded the first. 

Second half we imploded against what is a good team. The red card was soft in my opinion and put an end to any hope of getting back into the game. 

Injuries and fatigue got the better of us and they looked the fresher team, which they should be given we played on Thursday and are down to the bare bones. 

69/31 possession for spurs in the first half and we had nothing on target but sure we edged the first half 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

We didn't stand up, went missing again switched second half sloppy goal. Tactics first half didn't like them at all yeah we kept spurs to one shot first half but there no city or arsenal who we took the game on to from the first minute and were at home go for it.

Yeah… it’s disappointing…

I was hoping for an approach and performance such as those games… but… nowhere near it…

Feel for Unai… has had so many challenges to deal with regarding player availability and squad depletion… we don’t have the options other sides do…

3 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

The system was passive. It was about containment. We had no real forward threat and simply asked for them to attack. When you set up like that any tiny mistake will more than often result in a chance on goal for the opposition.

Just waiting for the inevitable. Played like a bottom half side with that set up. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MCU said:

Can someone check on Leon Bailey please... you can't just turn up when you feel like it. Didn't look like he gave a **** today. I don't know if it's tiredness or what but that was so dissapointing.

RELAX! Yes Bailey was miles off it today but if you watch closely you can clearly see its fatigue, its wrong you attacking him thinking he does not care or that he chooses whether to turn up or not! … Mcginn would have been my MOTM but that was a silly challenge which didn’t cost us the game because we was well out of it anyway but for the next three he will miss… this is what spurs have always done to us except for the last 2/3 seasons so im not shocked but i’m extremely angry with that result.

Zaniolo looked like he tried when coming on, Diaby is frustrating for a £52m player I’m expecting way more and he just does not deliver, watkins just like bailey needs a break very poor today, cash played ok and i cba to go through the rest just very poor all around and the ref is a w**ker 👍

And those saying mcginn wouldn’t be red carded for that if he was playing for villa need time to calm down and assess I understand everyone is angry after watching that.

Edited by RicRic

Whoever it is that thought it was a good idea for the players to start smoking opium at halt time needs to get sacked. Looked like zombies after the break for quite a few games now.

Â