Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Spurs

limpid

Match Polls  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/03/24 at 23:59

Disappointed with our approach to the game today. Our setup and application looked like a plucky underdog trying to play for a draw away from home. Ultimately, you limit your chance of winning and set yourself up to be beaten. A big club mentality would have been to sniff an eight point cushion and attack to win the game. 

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

We were worse against Luton in the second half 7 days ago. 

We're just waiting for the catalyst to implode and go on a big winless run. This is the start of it now. 

I said I wouldn't melt down and I won't. Not hugely disappointed because I expected us to lose.

Spurs the better team throughout and looking a much better bet for fourth at this moment in time. 

This will upset some, but I am afraid today we have bottled it again when it was necessary to turn up and deliver.

Tis the Villa way.

• Like 1

They were the better team, looked brighter and fresher from the start.

It was probably a mistake to change our system for them, but perhaps the way we've played in Amsterdam and today is why we did. We have a small squad and maybe Emery has thought we were too tired to play full throttle in either game.

Ideal world we'd have gone for them and won. Probably the idea was to take the sting out of the game then change it, but we gifted them the second and the red card killed it for us really.

No qualms about the red card, he hasn't played the ball and he's very aggressively just gone right through him. The 3 game ban with Kamara out for the season is a concern.

No need to be calling us shite or panicking yet. I'm sure there'll be the same over reactions like after the United game but there's really no need. A very few games aside we've been amazing since Emery got the job. There's just no reason to think we won't still have our best season for a long long time.

• Like 4

I remember losing against Ipswich at home the season we won the league and everyone to a man thought the outcome of that game would decide the title, but our Ron, "do you want to bet against us," the rest, is in the history books. 

They never best Chelsea when it matters. 

• Like 1

Just now, CVByrne said:

We're just waiting for the catalyst to implode and go on a big winless run. This is the start of it now. 

Do you have someone I can call to put away your sharp objects?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have so massively over performed so far this season that something like this was always going to happen.

Playing against 12 week in week out is going to take a toll and the ref was Spurs best performer today. 

No doubt all sky will talk about is spurs but the game was decided on a clear pen not given. And a soft red card for McGinn that if it was the other way around we would never get.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Negative formation, negative tactics from the first whistle. You'd get away with that setup if playing away from home. To setup like that is 100% on Unai. Really gifted Spurs an advantage.

That on top of some terrible performances. You can get away with 1 or 2 but when 5 or 6 have stinkers it was always going to be a loss. 

Such a far cry from the side that beat City at VP. 

• Like 1

Just now, CVByrne said:

Possibly, but we’ve shown a tendency to bounce back from poor results.

Losing McGinn is my biggest worry. He’s our heartbeat and I’m not sure we can cope without him in midfield. 

1 minute ago, Villaphan04 said:

McGinn & Konsa lost us the game. 

Mcginn for losing head...though we already two down

Konsa....how about the lack.of urgency from the luiz 1st and other players to give him an.option so that he doesn't make that mistake.

Midfield for another game were shocking...lack of.movement....wanting the ball and urgency when.we had it.

That's what lost us the game....mcginn meant we wouldn't get back into it...even if he was still on the pitch we wouldn't have 

Ugh, that was horrible to watch. We did OK in the first half but capitulated in the second.

I’m not going to name a man of the match because I honestly don’t think any of our players deserved it.

Quite a lot of recovery needed to get us into shape for Thursday ☹️

Â