Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Newcastle

limpid

Match Polls  

179 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/02/24 at 23:59

Glad I missed the first half it sounded as though Villa never turned up.

Second half not much better.

Villa looked half-a***d, the other team wanted it more.

Many players look scared to make the difference, I hate the sideways passing.

Bailey is currently the only Villa player in form so why did he not start?

• Like 1

I think we need to learn that teams know if they press us, we can use our pivot to bypass their midfield, but if they lose a low block, we're not cute enough with our movement to break teams down.  We seem a bit pedestrian when we have the ball, which leads to frustration because we're thinking "have a go then".  I knew it would be a hard game tonight, but the set pieces is something I didn't suspect.  I imagine the set piece man will be looking at that.

Really, really need a big performance and win as soon as possible. Have been sleepwalking since that City and Arsenal double in December but it hasn't bitten us as much as it could have. 

• Like 1

Really bad day at work, but looking on the bright side Bailey looks up for it. I have noticed that since Man City we just don't press the opposition quickly enough, and seem to want to play a very leisurely pace, something we didn't do for the first half of the season. Never mind, we were going to lose at some point at home, and maybe this will be the wake up call required for the rest of the season.

The first 65 mins was probably the most disgraceful effort we've put in all season.

Lost the ball cheaply repeatedly, kept passing straight to them or out of play, 1-11 we just didn't look bothered. 1st goal we had two players there and still the Newcastle player barged past them both to get to the ball. He simply just wanted it more.

Livened up with Bailey and no surprise that when we pushed the pace we pushed them right back, but the slight offside goal killed all momentum for us.

Someone please explain the decision to play Diaby over Bailey, I mean how long can a player be that absmyal for?  It's perplexing. 

Luiz was well below par, Tielmans was totally anonymous and the defence were just dreadful from start to finish. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

So I guess we're shit now.

Apparently we are now yeah. Or maybe we were shit when Gerrard was here, or Garde. 

Hmmm. Possibly a few fans need to give their heads a wobble and realise that while that was disappointing it doesn't mean we're shit, unai is shit, the way we play is shit...

Had Watkins' foot been four studs further back I reckon we'd have got at least a point. Momentum was lost with that VAR break, regardless of what went before.

We've still had a great season, and a brilliant 17 game run at VP undefeated. We're still on for top 4 too. Not bad for being shit is it?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, est1874 said:

To quote the mighty Republica...

Uh oh! we're in trouble

something's come along 

and it's burst our bubble

Wasn't it shampoo ?

• Like 1

Zaniolo, Diaby, Cash can f**k off …. Diaby is shocking, Zaniolo is all over the place and Cash yeah leave it there… of all teams to lose our record to … i f**king hate them g**rdie c**nts 🤬 seeing them bounce up and down around villa park at the end just p**sed me off… tbf Mcginn played quite well and watkins was okay too

Leon Bailey was absolutely insane… that was as magical as I’ve ever seen from him, maybe he should have came on soon as we went 2-0 down, did you hear him say “come on man stop this bullshit referee”. For those watching from home. 

Look very disappointing tonight we need to put things right again and beat both the united’s we got next.

• Like 1

Can only assume Bailey carrying knock as no possible reason otherwise for him not playing more of that match. He was the only real positive and i guess Olly at least ending a dry run and looking more confident after that.

Thought really back four were all off it tonight in particular. Got the line wrong a couple times to give them chances, several goals from set pieces, and from the full backs nothing good going forward. 

Truly miserable to put in such a dreck performance against rivals that will reawaken their season as much as it damages ours. 

1st half was very poor.

Half time everyone could see it needed changing, diaby and teilemens were terrible and needed replacing.

Only at 3 nil was the change made and we were instantly better.

Diaby needs to be the sub not the starter.

If only emery had bothered changing it at half time, we would have had a chance to get something from that.

The Man City performance feels like it happened 10 years ago.

Sad to say it seems like we are finding our level.

Emery has room to improve as well to be honest. 

Â