Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Newcastle

limpid

Match Polls  

179 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/02/24 at 23:59

What has happened to Luiz? Every time he got the ball all he wanted to do was pass to Konsa. He offered absolutely nothing. And Kamara wasn’t much better. 

Bailey made a difference when he came on and if VAR wasn’t such a bag of sh1t we might have gotten a point from 3-2. Great finish from Watkins. 

Edited by Herman22
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, R.Bear said:

The main problem is everyone seems to have lost form at the same time.

This is too rue. McGinn, Cash, Luiz, the whole midfield are not doing enough, strolling about, hardly any service to watkin's until Bailey came on, I'd be having a fit if I was Emery.

• Like 1

Sigh. Just so disappointing. Perhaps now they’ve had the hiding they have deserved for the last couple of months it can be a kick up the arse, but I’m not hopeful 

We improved a lot after Bailey came on. Just have to trust that Unai can find another system to improve us even more - our current system has been found out, big time. But still not having a 'melt down'. UTV

Worse overall night with Emery I can remember. Awful team selection, no motivation and far to slow with the subs. I can’t understand Bailey on the bench but I have gone for Martinez mom because they could have been 6 or 7 without him and I don’t even think Newcastle played that well

8 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

That couldn’t have gone any better for Newcastle. Get everyone behind the ball and pump it long at every opportunity and focus on set pieces. 

We need to improve and fast. 

It worked.  Undone by anti football tactics.  Very avoidable.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, brummybloke said:

1st half was very poor.

Half time everyone could see it needed changing, diaby and teilemens were terrible and needed replacing.

Only at 3 nil was the change made and we were instantly better.

Diaby needs to be the sub not the starter.

If only emery had bothered changing it at half time, we would have had a chance to get something from that.

I don’t agree with that. I thought Youri was ok, he did what we expect him to do. Get on the ball and try pick some passes.  

You could tell that was going to happen from the first minute. Their intensity and pressing was amazing, whilst we just looked half asleep. Really poor from our team. When we actually raised the intensity, they fell apart but we didn’t maintain it.
The amount of stupid fouls we gave away which allowed them to take the sting out of the game was so frustrating. We have very little football intelligence and when things go wrong we revert to stupidity.

Not much else to say really. Bailey was great but i guarantee that he will start in the next match and he will be rubbish. It’s so frustrating.

Please pray for Pau! If ever we needed a player back it’s him. We also really miss Digne. He has been miles better than Moreno this season. Let’s hope they both return soon.

• Like 4

From the first minute it didn't feel like we were at it and the balance of the team didn't feel right and was a poor performance and we deserved to lose.

Diaby needs to be taken out of the team as he is woefully off form and Bailey surely must start.

Would also prefer Ramsey over Tielemans in the next match.

Plenty for Unai to sort out. UTV!

• Like 1

Just now, Herman22 said:

I don’t agree with that. I thought Youri was ok, he did what we expect him to do. Get on the ball and try pick some passes.  

I think he has to play instead of Luiz or Kamara though , not with them

Too slow and easy to counter. When we added energy via Bailey we scored. We need more urgency like that or we can kiss CL goodbye. We know we have the talent, so we need that belief and players taking responsibility.

I thought we were let down by our fullbacks, Diaby and particularly Luiz. He slowed us down ridiculously tonight by taking too long on the ball all the time. Lost his man for the goal as well. Lenglet also made us static and should have done better for the second goal. Cash and Moreno,...well. Diaby shot of confidence.

Some were fairly invisible too like Youri, JJ, Watkins (until Leon came on). 

I thought SJM showed some fight, but Leon Bailey deserved MotM. That is the level of urgency every player has to put up. I hope Unai sets an example for the team based on that. 

Also shout out to Martinez who I thought had a good game overall. Didn't deserve to have 3 goals passed him and made a couple of great saves. Defence let him down today.

Our performances have been lacking as of late and we need an injection of urgency badly. Pace is key in the PL or you get nullified. We stood like statues out there tonight and our midfield got completely shut down. When we finally played through balls our attackers were often isolated. We have to move more and I am certain Unai sees it and is disappointed.

• Like 4

Yet another poor, one dimensional performance from Villa. Not one player broke sweat except for a very good cameo from Bailey.

Villa’s midfield really starting to worry me as the players in there are too similar without pace to run beyond the forward.

As someone else said 50m bid for Luiz in the summer Villa should bite their hand of. McGinn is the only creative spark there but he also lacks real pace and isn’t a playmaker.

Stated at start of Jan window Villa needed 3 quality players to push on for a CL placement. Nothing has come in other than a championship player.

Presently Villa will struggle for 6th with Emery’s high line and the owner’s lack of investment this window.

I think Emery got that wrong. The changes should have happened at ht not when 3 goals down. Unless Bailey is carrying an injury I don't get why he isn't starting. Tielemans doesn't look up to speed yet. Moreno is not showing the quality with his crosses or defensive attributed thst Digne showed.  Carlos never gave Haaland a kick so I don't get why he keeps being left out

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brumstopdogs said:

From the first minute it didn't feel like we were at it and the balance of the team didn't feel right and was a poor performance and we deserved to lose.

Diaby needs to be taken out of the team as he is woefully off form and Bailey surely must start.

Would also prefer Ramsey over Tielemans in the next match.

Plenty for Unai to sort out. UTV!

Thought Ramsey was anonymous after coming on, to be fair, but was worth bringing on to try and shake things up. Zaniolo was woeful. Either lost the ball whenever it was passed to him or gave away idiotic fouls to help them see out the game. Bailey looked like he was on another planet to the rest when he came on.

• Like 1

Very introverted. It took 3 changes to get the team playing with any sort of spark and desire and then even that disappeared with the offside goal.

We've been average at best for weeks. 

Scabbed results but tonight we served that up on a plate and they took it.

We need to go back to playing quicker. This slow tempo is crap and we end up forcing a pass and losing possession. 

I never do this but looking at the players, here is my assessment... 

Martinez - Can't fault him, he's quality. 

Cash - Worst player in this team. We can get better. 

Konsa - Love him but over recent games, he's the main culprit in slowing it to walking pace. 

Lenglet - Very hit and miss. 

Moreno - Struggling since the injury. Flashes tonight but not the player we saw before. 

Kamara - I think he's class but he plays on the edge and needs to try and stop getting silly yellow cards.

Dougie - He's a superb player but not at the the level he was 2 months ago. 

McGinn - With Bailey, best player for us tonight. 

Tielemans - Jury still out. Few decent moments but not involved enough. 

Diaby - Not impressed at the moment. I think he's lacking confidence and probably needs Bailey to be in the starting 11 with him. 

Watkins - Feeding off scraps, I get his frustration. 

Subs... 

Bailey - MOTM for us. Made things happen and needs to start every game. 

JJ - Shadow of the player we know. Hopefully he regains form and fitness ASAP. 

Zaniolo - Just not happening for him. 

Manager - Only he knows why we've adapted this slow play and why he didn't start Bailey. I'd say the last 6-8 weeks is the worst we've looked under him but I trust he will sort it out. 

We are still hugely in the mix for top 4, every side goes through a blip during a season but at the moment we have more questions than answers. We need to pummel someone, get the confidence back and kick on again. 

Oh and we need Pau back, we've missed him so bloody much. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chips'ngravy said:

Thought Ramsey was anonymous after coming on, to be fair, but was worth bringing on to try and shake things up. Zaniolo was woeful. Either lost the ball whenever it was passed to him or gave away idiotic fouls to help them see out the game. Bailey looked like he was on another planet to the rest when he came on.

Tbf JJ barely got the ball. We played it mostly on the left side. Understandably so too considering Leon played there.

Â