Ratings & Reactions: Spurs v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

274 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/11/23 at 23:59

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

On another day, it could have been a " Newcastle" before the changes could be made.

We will all wallow in this result.....and so be it.....but to ignore some of the poor play, is sheer denial.

Martinez, was clearly the hero.

Personally, I thought Pau was man of the match.  I think the game would have felt very different if the linesman had put his flag up as soon as Spurs were offside rather than waiting for things to play out.  A lot of their chances were or would have been ruled out for being offside.  The fact that play continued so that they could either score, shoot or force a save from Martinez could give a distorted view of our performance.  Spurs played very well first half and we struggled to play our "slow" game.  Maybe Emery could have made the Cash / Tielemans switch quicker - because once we had four proper midfielders on the pitch we actually regained the balance that was missing first half.  That allowed us to be more controlled when on the ball and better able to resist Spurs when they had the ball.

Although we haven't looked as impressive away - we've still P7 W3 D1 L3 - and we've already played Liverpool, Newcastle, Chelsea and Spurs away from home.  Although we are showing as in the bottom half of the away form table - we are joint 5th in terms of points and only 3 points behind Man City who are second in the away league table (and who have arguably had a slightly easier set of fixtures). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, turvontour said:

Sky pushing this 'we haven't been in the top 4 since 2009'. Were we not around top when we beat Liverpool 7-2 or am I completely misremembering that?

I think it is that we haven't been in the top 4 after 13 matches since 2009.  So at this point in the season it is our best showing for 14 seasons.

• Like 1

First half really was a bit of a disaster tactically. We get the Torres goal to give us a lifeline and then we need our manager to be tactically switched on and change it to give us that extra boost. 

Surprise surprise, that's exactly what Unai done. 2 brilliant subs and tweaks changed the game around and that's the difference we have now, so far clear of all previous Villa managers. 

It's just repetitive but win or lose, we are blessed to have Unai Emery in charge. We have to make the most of this era. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, allani said:

I think it is that we haven't been in the top 4 after 13 matches since 2009.  So at this point in the season it is our best showing for 14 seasons.

Haha. OK that makes more sense. They didn't say that either time they mentioned it though.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Five?

Mings, Buendia, Moreno and JJ the only ones out all season so far basically. 

I hadn't realised that Carlos has now featured in more matches than he has missed.

We didn't play at our best but still beat them, our offside line is exemplary, it's so affective Spurs gave in trying to beat it. The Spurs fans and players trying to get Cash sent off was a bit much, it was a heavy challenge amd deserved a yellow card but every tackle after that was greeted with howls of "foul, send him off"

Tielemans was instrumental in the victory.

Spurs.....haven't got the strength in depth to compete for the top 6. Missed loads of opportunities, tactically they were set up well......but poor up front and looked leaky at the back when attacked.  

PSA: If you see me building a statue outside Villa Park tonight mind your business 😝 this man Unai Emery words cannot explain.

GET F**king INNN!! 😆 WHAT A WIN!!! …. Even better when the commentary was soooo bias towards spurs, the feeling to turn that one around was marvellous 😍Diaby poor again and cash lost composure, best decision taking them both off and Tielemans was so calm on the ball and bailey offered much more than diaby ( something i never thought id ever say).

Martinez was sensational and nothing short, i gave MOTM to Kamara i just felt his dribbling and getting between players today was excellent or im just fed up of giving it to SJM every week hehe.

But lets not forget about Luiz who yet again put in a fine performance very silky around the pitch. 

Overall im just buzzing, how the script used to go is that we would take the lead and then go onto lose 2-1 so this a new chapter.

UTFV !! Love this club man !

• Like 2