Ratings & Reactions: Spurs v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

274 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/11/23 at 23:59

Yeah both MOTD and the spurs forum shows how little class they have. I mean, on the forum they have people openly calling for 'shivving' Cash. Jesus.

MOTD seems like they're going to erect an altar to Ange. I hope spurs get absolutely walloped next game too.

I think the tactical error from Emery in the team set up and balance left us in a difficult place in first half. we had 3 runners, Watkins, Diaby and Cash and too few passers. Swapping Diaby for Tielemans and his passing ability and composure and then Bailey in RM fixed that. 

The second half was 1.1xG apiece and most of that half was us from a winning position. 

20 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not sure I've ever seen a fanbase take a defeat so badly. Apparently they should have had three penalties and Matty Cash should be in jail.

They know I think - and rather than face up to what this defeat means to their magical season or for their future in general, they're screaming about the place like a scouse toddler, lashing out at anything and everything for being 'unfair'.

Excellent.

Think it's finally dawned on them that they won't be anywhere challenging for the title this season and that "Big Ange" isn't some infallible genius.

The Chelsea game they could justify as a heroic defeat, the Wolves game could be waved away as a one off, but this one really seemed to shock them. They were all over us for most of the first half and going 1-0 up at home and dominating to that extent really should result in walking away with all three points. Instead they got nothing.

You love to see it.

• Like 1

Watched the Cash challenge on motd. It was nothing really was it. It was no "Ben Mee" it was effectively just a late strong "trip". You see those almost every game. Yellow card was fair. Was just unlucky Bentancur got hurt.

I would still rather we didn't start playing that way though.

I also thought we looked superb on the highlights. I know they don't tell the whole story obviously, but honestly, from just those clips I thought we looked the better team. Funny how highlight packages can tell a different story to the actual game sometimes.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I also thought we looked superb on the highlights. I know they don't tell the whole story obviously, but honestly, from just those clips I thought we looked the better team. Funny how highlight packages can tell a different story to the actual game sometimes.

Yes I agree. I think the fact we won influenced what they showed. There were definitely a few good chances spuds missed early on that weren't shown. Never mind - we're 4th.

9 hours ago, smg said:

How long have you been watching? Three months ? Believe  me there  has been a lot more shit than that in recent years but I guess it’s always good to post a negative What fun you can have next week if we don’t put 10 on little Bournemouth .

No need for the childish comments, I've bene watching Villa since the early 90's, and I was talking about under Unai's tutelage, apologies for not stating that but thought it was rather obvious. Regardless, I still think that first half was very poor, and if it were not for a few brilliant saves and the post Spurs would have ben out of sight. Also that was a makeshift spurs team. We were caught like rabbit in the headlights for the first 30 minutes and not for the first time we struggle with aggressive press, something that needs addressing.  

If we want to be Top 4 come end of the season then we must learn to keep possession better than we did when teams come at us aggressively with a strong press, the ball has to stick better than it did. I'm not being negative, just a realist 

• Like 1

I know Spurs are suffering the worst injury crisis in the history of football, but only two, possibly three (Van de Ven, Maddison, maybe Richarlison but his record is terrible so maybe not) would definitely have started on Sunday. Spurs fans/the media seem to be conveniently forgetting that as many of their key absentees in the past few games have been due to suspensions. And oh, those poor, brave lads, having to play with two full-backs in the centre of defence... Maybe only having three senior centre-backs in the squad (and one of them being Eric Dier) was not the best way to go into a season? Especially when Romero, the hot-headed card collector, is probably going to miss 5+ games a season through suspension.

Edited by oishiiniku_uk
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Adman said:

Just because Gil is 4ft 5, doesn't mean he should get a pen when he's screened off the ball.  

I don't know, it's wild to me that the slightest hint of contact on a foot and they'll pour over slow motion replays and give the penalty, but clumsily catching someone in the face with an elbow is apparently fine.

It wasn't intentional, no malice in it whatsoever IMO, but I'm just baffled by what is and isn't a foul, particularly in the box.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I wonder if that first half performance is going to influence how we set up against city next week, we probably conceded 2/3 against a better team yesterday in the first 45. 

I don't think the overall tactics will change, but if you mean the players' positions, then hopefully yes. I don't like Cash in midfield with Konsa at RB. Not in a game where the opponent is very attack-minded. Cash wasn't doing enough going forward to worry Udogie  who was inverting and causing a lot of problems. And Konsa looked really uncomfortable being pulled wide by Gil, who was hugging the touchline a lot of the time. He didn't know whether to fully engage Gil or hold his position.
I don't want to see Konsa vs Doku. Would much rather have Cash being the one to engage a winger like that, then Ezri can step across to help out if needed.

Edited by oishiiniku_uk

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just watched the highlights again and they probably should have been 2-0 up in the first few minutes. I actually agree with Murphy and Jenas for once that we do need to be a big tighter away from home. Attacking wise we’re always quality.

Highlights didn't show the opportunity we created in the first minute where Cash had a good chance but it just hit off him (looked like he tried to chest it in from 6 yards out?). And Torres' first header was in the first 5 minutes also. Spurs created a lot, but we could have taken the lead before that.

Â