Ratings & Reactions: Burnley v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/08/23 at 22:59

Just now, switters said:

Very good overall. Burnley had spells in the 2nd where we did look a bit ropey but we showed resilience too.

Not sure we've ever had a team with more quality on the ball than what we have now. Players who want to receive the ball to feet in tight spaces, players across the field all capable of picking passes. Zaniolo looks like will be great addition to that.

Diaby looks a lot like Sadao Mane to me, that mixture of pace, directness but also great linkup play and calm clinical finishing. Think there will be a few clubs in the nominal top 6 kicking themselves for not going for him from the way he has started.

Between Pau and Carlos, the latter looks more assured currently and if we go back to 2, it could be that Carlos-Konsa is the preference initially. Might take Pau a bit longer to get up to speed defensively, though you can see his quality on the ball.

the late changes did seem to disjoint us a bit. Did Emery stick Cash LB purely to stop him making more attempts on the hattrick?!

Makes me wonder if it means Digne is off next week. 

Overall a very good performance, probably about 10 or so minutes in total where we were on the back foot, but dominated otherwise. The goal we conceded was a accumulation of individual errors after we came out for the second half a little complacent, which is good in a way as that can be fixed. I'd much rather that than conceding because of some major systemic issue.

If we were more clinical and with some better decision making we should have had at least 1 more.

What is very promising is that we look to be creating from multiple areas across the pitch; ball over the top, down the flanks, incisive through ball or working it around the pitch with nice intricate play looking for the opening.

Hopefully someone can work out how many passes there were in the build up to Cash's 2nd, because we seemed to keep it for ages.

• Like 1

Played very well and kudos to emery for the tactical shift. Diaby, Watkins and Zaniolo with Moreno, Ramsey and Mcginn are going to give team’s absolute nightmares. 

Also kudos to Olsen. I was very negative about him potentially playing and he must be aware of the general lack of confidence in him from across the fan base but he did ok today. Yes, there were a few moments but on the whole it was a solid performance and that’s all you want from your Number 2. 

• Like 1

Good away performance, we lost our way abit and started gifting them possession but we eventually calmed down and went back to holding onto the ball.

We created some really great chances , given a bit more luck (their keeper was good as well) could have scored more. McGinn was unplayable at times, there is just no answer to him when he's playing like that, I think he's the best premier league midfielder atm. 

Someone is going to get a right thrashing from us if we hit form up front and the wind blows the right way.UTV 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Makes me wonder if it means Digne is off next week. 

Digne is playing at a really good level currently.

He can also fit into both of our formations.

I know he's a real drain on our finances but personally I'd be tempted to hang onto him until January as don't want to be selling him and then his replacement needs months to settle in.

Zaniolo with his style looks an obvious Coutinho replacement so I'd say he's the one to let go of to get us some more flexibility with the wage bill going forward over next 12 months.

4 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Played very well and kudos to emery for the tactical shift. Diaby, Watkins and Zaniolo with Moreno, Ramsey and Mcginn are going to give team’s absolute nightmares. 

Also kudos to Olsen. I was very negative about him potentially playing and he must be aware of the general lack of confidence in him from across the fan base but he did ok today. Yes, there were a few moments but on the whole it was a solid performance and that’s all you want from your Number 2. 

Emery went ballistic when Olsen started launching the ball up front, he stopped it. 

• Like 2

Really good performance overall. A slight period of nervousness after the break, when they scored but I think the most pleasing thing for me was the resilience to see that period out, get the goal to restore the 2 goal cushion and then re-assert our control back on the game. Cash, Diego, Luiz, Kamara all superb, but McGinn MOTM for me. 

Always in control. We look like one of the best teams in the league.

Burnley are a good little side and will be alright this season.

Diaby was my man of the match, unplayable at times, high quality goal and assist. 9

Cash might have got my man of the match had he kept playing as he is supposed to instead of hunting for the hattrick. Can't blame him, but we might have had 4 or 5 otherwise. 8.5

McGinn was so composed, which isn't something I'm used to saying about him. His throughballs, and abilty to retain possession and break their press was vital to a complete team performance. 8

Digne's performances in the last 3 games means Moreno has a job to get back in the team. I make that his 5th assist in 4 games. 8

Watkins got a good assist tonight, should've had a goal too, but his work in the build up and his running off the ball kept the Burnley defence on the back foot throughout. 7

Kamara really got stuck in today, and his distribution was good.  7

Luiz didn't control things as well as he can, but a solid shift nonetheless. 6

Carlos was the pick of the back 3 mopped everything up, strong as an ox. 7

Pau's ball playing is very assured, gradually getting up to speed. Got done for their goal though. 6

Konsa was beaten by Koleioso a couple of times, and he won't have been happy about that. His ball playing is much improved. 6

Olsen was solid played one dodgy pass to Kamara, had no chance on the goal. Otherwise decent distribution, and a couple of decent saves. Looked a more reliable no 2 keeper than has been. 6

Zaniolo linked up well, looks hungry and eager to do well. If he can stay fit he'll be very good for us.

There is a confidence and assuredness about this team that makes me feel we can win something this season. We have few weaknesses and many strings to our bow. We are good defensively but have goals a plenty. I'm as excited as I could be again after what was a very deflating defeat on the opening day.

My concerns about the defense and our ability to adapt in the absence of Mings was valid, but fortunately none of the teams we subsequently faced could really threaten us This is mainly due to their lack of quality, but the team has been very organised and the midfield has protected the defence really well. This has bought us time to get Pau and Carlos up to speed. The real test is awaiting us at Anfield next week.

• Like 3

Right John Mcginn was incredibly frightening i have no words 👏🏽 MOTM for me despite Cash grabbing two goals… everything he did was superb, Diaby looks proper … Luiz is so bloody silky on the ball tremendous quality between him and Bouba… Zaniolo showed a bit of magic with the nutmeg but was not on the telepathic levels this team currently has … doesn’t look to be as sharp but of course in due time he should click … i swear every player just knows where each player is without thinking about it… excellent win this would have been nice at Anfield next week UTV

• Like 1

Â