Ratings & Reactions: Burnley v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/08/23 at 22:59

20 hours ago, The_Rev said:

It's clear we miss Mings, I don't think that 15 minute wobble in the second half happens with him (and Martinez) on the pitch.  Torres still needs time to adjust to the Premier League, he's going to get targeted by the opposition a lot in forthcoming games but enough of the negatives, we looked sensational for long periods in the first half, comfortably holding Burnley at arms length and cutting through them at will.  Cash gets the headlines but I felt McGinn was our best player again, he's just brilliant at the moment, he uses the ball so well and he just doesn't make mistakes.  I didn't think he was good enough for a team looking to break the top six of the Premier League but he could probably hold down a spot in a Champions League team on current form. 

I think Torres thinks he has a bit more time than he actualy has......thats just setting in to a new league.

He looks class though, and I'm sure he will fit in fine.....It took Ken McNaught 20 games to come good, and he only came from Everton.

21 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Agreed, but it's one of those where I completely get why he shot.  Two minutes into his debut, game is (probably) already won and he's clean through on goal?  Should have squared it, but I forgive him. 

On a wider point, towards the end of last season it felt like a bit too much was going through Watkins. It was great watching him score so frequently but we were in danger of becoming one dimensional. Stop Watkins and you stop Villa. Bringing in players like Zaniolo and Diaby should give the opposition a lot more to think about as we've got a few players in the squad who will be aiming for double figures this season. 

it's a very good point.

20 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

I've not seen an arse turn like that from a player since King Kenny played.

Shearer used it a lot too....Chris Nichol told me he worked on it with him at Southampton.

19 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Burnley fans bricked our coach (the vehicle not Emery) causing significant damage apparently.

glad it was the Charabanc and not the manager

19 hours ago, thunderball said:

We looked superb today, the first half was a master class, they looked like they would never score. 

I just love how we play, it’s great to watch, we just play so well as a unit, anyone can score. We break through the lines so well, it’s why I am sad about Coutihno, I think he would be great in this Emery side.

Absolutely loving it at the moment, so excited about this team which gets better and better, you can see the quality we have now in rotation and substitutions, we are now a squad and no longer an 11.

Control, control, control....is the essence of our game, now.

2 hours ago, rjw63 said:

I watched MOTD2 last night, and not only was this superb move not mentioned, it wasn't even shown in full (I don't think).

If one of the scum 6 had done this they'd be jizzing their pants and screaming "goal of the season".

And I didn't think I'd say this but, bring back Lineker!

We remain a story the media just isnt interested in, and thrown off the scent by our opening defeat to Newcastle. However I think the Telepgraph had an article by Percy today suggesting we might be a dark horse (behind a paywall - used to subscribe but no longer).

• Like 1

Finally got to watch the extended highlights on Sky.

Diaby is some player.

Villa very sharp going forward and I can see why Emery brought in Torres. Excellent passer but at the moment a bit timid for a Premiership CB. However, fully expect that to change with more experience in the Premiership.

11 hours ago, TRO said:
  • just a shame, he couldn't have had a clean sheet
  • Lee is not a bad commentator, has come on quite a lot.

We do seem to have a lot of ex players, who are/have been commentating....must be something in the water at BMH

Aye - maybe wasn't clear from what I said, but I loved watching Hendrie play. He's one of the better co-commentators IMO - he reads the play well and remains (mostly) impartial

On 28/08/2023 at 14:48, rjw63 said:

I watched MOTD2 last night, and not only was this superb move not mentioned, it wasn't even shown in full (I don't think).

If one of the scum 6 had done this they'd be jizzing their pants and screaming "goal of the season".

And I didn't think I'd say this but, bring back Lineker!

Absolutely, they'd have had a 5 minute analysis commenting on each pass individually and raving about the genius of Pep. 

• Like 1

On 28/08/2023 at 13:23, TRO said:

I think Torres thinks he has a bit more time than he actualy has......thats just setting in to a new league.

He looks class though, and I'm sure he will fit in fine.....It took Ken McNaught 20 games to come good, and he only came from Everton.

That’s exactly what I think too. He’s clearly an excellent defender, just needs time to adjust to the PL. 

Â