Ratings & Reactions: Burnley v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/08/23 at 22:59

I know Cash got 2 goals, but there is no way anyone is telling me McGinn wasn’t MOTM.

Utterly superb display.

Zaniolo needs to be squaring that.. but forgiven in the excitement of the moment.  He’s gonna be bloody brilliant.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I don't think we are relying on him, we have plenty of top performers at the mo, and still not at full strength yet. We look strong 

Not in terms of quality but energy, drive, determination, tenacity, aggression… he brings the “fight” and you need that to compete… alongside the technical quality and skill… which he also has now…

It’s obvious and evident that when he does not play well, the whole team is negatively affected and no one takes up that “mantle”…

That’s what I mean in terms of reliance…

• Like 1

Defensively Carlos was great but he gave the ball away a bit too much with some misplaced and underhit passes.

McGinn uber Emery is world class. He and Digne are developing quite a nice little relationship on the left there.

Frustrated for (rather than with) Watkins this week - really unlucky not to get a goal today. 

I think our defence will be a bit brittle over the next 4-5 games while they get used to each other.

Attacking wise the possibilities seem endless with multiple routes to goal - not something we've seen at Villa for quite some time.

5 minutes ago, RicRic said:

I swear every player just knows where each player is without thinking about it 

There were a lot of 'no-look' first-time flicks to feet, often involving five or six players. Unai and his coaching staff have clearly worked some magic on the training ground. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Can we go back and have a rerun of the Newcastle game now, please?

😂 I was going to say this in the match thread but didn’t bother in the end!

Yeah, with confidence, momentum and new players settling into the side (as well as avoiding a serious injury to a player)… I think things would turn out quite differently…

Upon reflection, it was a tough challenge for the first game of the season but maybe… actually benefitted us in terms of focus and reducing complacency… a lesson we can continue to learn from and reflect on…

31 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Not in terms of quality but energy, drive, determination, tenacity, aggression… he brings the “fight” and you need that to compete… alongside the technical quality and skill… which he also has now…

It’s obvious and evident that when he does not play well, the whole team is negatively affected and no one takes up that “mantle”…

That’s what I mean in terms of reliance…

Unai will sort it

59 minutes ago, Rosch said:

It's Zanigoalo, not Zaniassistolo!  Gotta make some allowances for attempting a debut first touch goal. I'm pretty sure that in just about any other circumstance, he properly dishes that to Ollie.  

He will never square that ball!

Good win, but should have been more comfortable.  Came out half asleep after half time but every team is going to have a spell of pressure against you at some point.  We also afforded Rodriguez two very good chances at the end, and things could have been different if the bastard had decided to use his hands again.

Zaniolo looked decent but really should have squared for an Ollie tap in instead of going for glory.  That would have killed the game at 3-0. Mind you, despite his Hibs hat trick Ollie has missed several very scoreable chances already this season, so who knows.

McGinn is in top form, another brilliant performance driving things forward from midfield.

The build up to the second goal was great football, and a great strike from Cash.

Olsen generally ok but still some shaky moments and odd decision making.

Â