Ratings & Reactions: Burnley v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/08/23 at 22:59

This Villa side are very easy to watch, with quality and organisation all across the pitch.

Very good performances from SJM, Cash, Diaby and Konsa. (Digne, Luis & Kamara also worthy of a mention in despatches.) There were no passengers today and even Olsen defied the pre-match pessimism.😀

Konsa was the pick of the 3 centre backs, with some nice touches when venturing down the right in support of Cash. I think his PL experience puts him ahead of Diego & Torres who are still bedding into this League. Next weekend will be a good test of the defence, last season Liverpool repeatedly exposed the high line. Hopefully Emi will be back by then.

Some of the passing through the midfield was excellent and once Diaby & Ollie start latching onto these, there will be good times & goals ahead.

Diaby and Zaniolo do show a true step up in quality to what we have seen in many a year.

Thursday should give some game time to some of the squad and not stretch us too much before Liverpool.

Definitely onward & upwards.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Hopefully after we get through against Hibs on Thursday (fingers crossed) he comes out after the game and in his post-match inverview for Villa TV thanks the supporters as usual but with a 'they drink in town' twist...

Mate

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Hornso said:

I am hoping I’m not getting carried away after seeing us beat the likes of Everton and Burnley, but yeah, we are **** good!

Oh, go ahead. You can be comfortable in the fact that however carried away you get, it will have absolutely zero impact. 😉 (At least, that's what I remind myself in these ebullient times of ours!)

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hornso said:

I am hoping I’m not getting carried away after seeing us beat the likes of Everton and Burnley, but yeah, we are **** good!

Any other Villa team in the last 15-20 years would have dropped at least two points between those matchs.

Good teams beat the teams they're supposed to beat. Yeah, we are **** good!

• Like 2

i love the we are so well ocached that we can play a modified formation and line-up and even shift it fluidly when in or out of possession.  sometimes three at the back.  often 4 as Digne dropped back, a few times even 5 as Cash dropped back.

Glad to see Matty played more as a midfielder, I have thought for some time that it was actually a better position for him.

SJM flawless for the entire match and easily my MOTM.

Zoniolo showed incredible touch and drive, but looked out of sync with the rest of the team.  Taking away dribbling and passing lanes from the man with the ball  I think he could be a great, but he is not at all in sync with the system we are playing {yet}.  Not laying off the ball to Ollies was the most obvious example, but not the most eggregious.

My concern is who will play and who will sit when we have everybody back and healthy.  I still wish we had an option to take Watkins' role, and Zoniolo might be it.  Becuase he seemed a bit out of place in the second striker role and Diaby OWNS that second striker role with Bailey and Bertie to back him up.  So Zaniolo is extremely talented but may struggle to get a start.

JJ will slot back into left mid with SJM moving to right mid and making Cash another reserve (who could come on at R mid or R back).

• Like 2

21 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Other than 10mins after HT where the entire defence shat itself, that was a comfortable win against a side we should be beating. 

Carlos, Kamara, Dougie, Diaby, Cash all excellent but McGinn was on another level and really drove us forward, so gave him MOTM.

Happy Bank Holiday 💜🩵

We have to physically engage more at times when defending the goal......you can't always intercept everything.

we paid the too much respect, for their goal, we must get challenges in to disrupt their ball control...their goal was avoidable.

Edited by TRO

20 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Diego Carlos 💪 

Great to have him back, looks strong, dominant and imperious… just what we need at CB. He’s going to make up for lost time…

I thought the same.....loved the way he kept dropping back after passing out from the back , like military precision...

He also looks a threat, when we have a corner, we haven't had that, for so long.

I think he is going to be great for us.

20 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Slight concern that we rely too heavily on him atm… such an important player and transformed by Unai…

I agree.....that ball winning higher up the pitch, is so impressive.

just hope the predators, are kept at bay until Sept 1 

20 hours ago, catanzaro said:

I know what you mean but I’m hoping that JJ will be the one that takes up the challenge of taking SJM’s spot in the team.. when he’s fit..

they do different jobs....can't see McGinn losing his place to anyone on this form.....no one can do what he does, in terms of winning the ball on turnover.

He has no peers, in the villa squad, in turning defence in to attack.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Makes me wonder if it means Digne is off next week. 

I think he has just about played himself, back in to UE's thinking.

Not the best defender, but going forward he has class and on form a jink of a cross.

I like him, when he's in this form.....says he's very happy at the club too.

21 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Supremely comfortable, bar a poor start to the 2nd. I like the cut of Zaniolo's jib. McGinn is something else (and my MOTM) and Cash did waaaay better than I expected.

3 things I learned:

• I enjoy listening to Lee Hendrie almost as much as watching him play (was co-commentator on my stream)
  • Konsa is a baller
  • We can win with Olsen in goal
  • just a shame, he couldn't have had a clean sheet
  • Lee is not a bad commentator, has come on quite a lot.

We do seem to have a lot of ex players, who are/have been commentating....must be something in the water at BMH

Edited by TRO

Â