Ratings & Reactions: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/08/23 at 22:59

Just now, Khizzy said:

Didn't really have a proper plan after losing Mings, kept changing the system and players heads had already gone. Emery will need to pick them up before the next game. 

And I guarantee he will

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

I’m sure quite a few people scoffed at the idea of signing Barnes

4 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Hit me with some quotes baby. 

There are plenty. Go to the search function and type “Barnes” and you’ll see enough to see that a sufficient amount of people were not convinced.

That doesn’t mean to say they will be proven wrong. But there was scepticism.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

You really don't have to be. All in all we are in a great place. Surely you haven't forgotten 16/17 already? Chin up.

Nothing like a bit of toxic positivity to cheer everyone up eh?

We just lost 5-1 on the opening day of the season and two of our best players have cruciate ligament tears (one albeit unconfirmed but clearly extremely likely).

Telling people it's all rosy and chin up immediately after that is frankly insane, but you do you. Some things are just shite, they don't need happy clappy silver linings wrapped around em.

We'll bounce back, at some point, but this feels absolutely shit for now, as it should.

Injuries sure, absolutely, but we lacked zip. Very confident we will sort it out, but that pretty much turned out as history presumed. Utterly pathetic. I am glad we lost like that because it shoves the undeserved overconfidence down the throats of our ridiculous over confident supporters. 

We were crap but this is one of those games that could've easily gone much differently. They scored not one but two offside goals, we gifted them another, and one of our key players got a bad injury. Pretty much everything that could go wrong did go wrong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

Nothing like a bit of toxic positivity to cheer everyone up eh?

We just lost 5-1 on the opening day of the season and two of our best players have cruciate ligament tears (one albeit unconfirmed but clearly extremely likely).

Telling people it's all rosy and chin up immediately after that is frankly insane, but you do you. Some things are just shite, they don't need happy clappy silver linings wrapped around em.

We'll bounce back, at some point, but this feels absolutely shit for now, as it should.

I'm insane for trying to cheer you up? I'm upset about the loss too you know.

If that's how your mind works then fine. Bye.

Edited by osmark86

Players with any credit

Diaby who ran chased and created and scored

Martinez who saved 2 or 3 certain goals

The bad

Emery set us up completely wrong

Mginn is most effective on the right , was put as a floating midfielder and that means he was lost and did nothing 

Bailey, oh my days, shouldn't have started and proved why.

Watkins ? Seriously ? He put in a Bailey type of effort today, as in pretty much none. Flick on for goal and 1 shot. No running, no closing down, nothing.

Cash with zero help from Bailey managed to get torn apart and then booked, poor decision making multiple times and at fault for 2 ? Of the goals, 1st being 2 yards behind the high line and 2nd fancying around and instead of a simple pass to torres makes a stupid pass to martinez, they then score, from nothing.

Konsa, started well enough but then went to sleep multiple times for at least 2 goals

Digne, gets a stupid yellow after 9 minutes and then is under pressure all game.

Teilmans played deep then further forward then deep by which time the balls zoomed passed him and he's out of the game, multiple times.

Doug, a very bad day, possibly should have had a penalty but really looked off.

Kamara decided we don't need the ball any more and just gave it away repeatedly 

Mings being injured just sums up what a terrible day its been.

Instead of playing the ball, goes back to trying to play the player, something he trys to do and rarely succeeds in doing. 

Ends up probably out 3 to 9 months now, gutted for him.

We possibly now need a right back a winger and a forward as a matter of urgency after injuries and players continuing to fail to impress.

I can only hope man utd get hammered.

• Thanks 1

We did our own survey on this site didn't we? I think before the Torres and Diaby signings I suggested another top 10 finish and a good run in the cup, hopefully a final, would be progress. Top 10 for two years running after not being top 10 for a decade I think is progress. 

Obviously though it hurts watching a game like that whether expectations are high or not. Some of the players looked like they'd already played a match that day in 40° heat they were so lethargic. Newcastle are known to be outrageously fit and strong. Complete mismatch in the end and our record at St James speaks for itself. Only won in 2005 thanks to 2 penalties and Newcastle playing with 8 men 

5 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Howe cooked him today. No need to try and make excuses, it was a shocker from minute 1 to the end.

Big week ahead, he has to try and fix a Villa defence without Mings because if he can't then we have a real problem. 

I dont think he cooked us. I think we set ourselves on fire. From konsa not being able to control  a ball, to cash misisng a sitter, to cash making a absolute mess and putting martinez under pressure.

We overcooked ourselvws with our pathetic performance 

• Like 4

Â