Ratings & Reactions: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/08/23 at 22:59

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

First up congratulations to Newcastle, I thought they were excellent, they defend well, they're organised, they have strength, they press really well and they have talented players at the sharp end who can score goals. 

I thought we were poor and sloppy in places, but I think 5-1 is still flattering - they one the game in big moments - injuries, mistakes, close offside calls, penalty decisions and some really sloppy finishing from off - but overall, if you look at the stats on the game, we really weren't far off them, in general play we were right in the game, we just ruined that by sloppy moments and the silly offside law.

The last twenty minutes are what we'll remember, and we were shambolic in that period, but considering we were off it, we could well still have been level at half time and if Cash had put his chance away we might still have come back from 3-1.

The positives would for me be Diaby, who looks like a superstar in the making and Pau Torres coming on and looking okay and Coutinho with another nice cameo, it might be time for him to start a game. 

The big negative is the Mings injury obviously, it doesn't look a good one and we'll miss his leadership and his quality as a centre half, he's developed into a player who should be starting for England and to be without him for months is a real blow.

Beyond that Kamara looks out of form, and I thought Tielemans looked poor - we know there are things that he's not strong in, in terms of his running and so on, but his passing was really poor today and that's what he's there for. McGinn couldn't quite get on top of it and Luiz often looked to be doing his best work in the wrong parts of the pitch. Midfield might need a bit of a think.

We might have had the penalty for the foul on Luiz by Joelinton, Luiz and Diego Carlos might both have done better with headers from corners, Watkins might have tucked away the first half chance in the aftermath of Mings injury - woulda, shoulda, coulda - you have to take advantage of the key moments in games and you have to avoid making mistakes.

Taking advantage of key moments and avoiding mistakes - that was the difference between the sides.

File it under one to forget and beat Everton.

Agree and disagree....

File under to forget, yes agreed.

Villa were miles off today, be objective.

10 minutes ago, macandally said:

Good to see the bed wetting kicking off after one game!

First game of the season and we were 10% off all over the pitch.  Mings is a big loss and Bailey was awful today, couldn’t hold the ball and fell over when he lost it.

However, it’s one game and hopefully an anomaly that we put right quickly.  Just calm your jets!

Bed wetting? This week we’ve lost two of our main players to potentially season ending injuries and got tanked 5-1 by a team we’re supposed to be competing with and looked absolutely shocking defensively.  I think people have every right to be panicking. I could just about get over the result but those injuries and the key players who have suffered the will have a huge impact on our season.

• Like 1

I'm shocked. Thought it would be a close game today. Worse than anything I saw under Slippy even.

Must win against a poor Everton team. Let's hope today was just a one off, I hope so otherwise we're in trouble.

Oh and....SIGN SOME PLAYERS! Especially a right back to replace Cash and a winger to replace Bailey. Astounding this hasn't been done already with Emery and Monchi in charge. Quite disgraceful actually.

Just now, WallisFrizz said:

Bed wetting? This week we’ve lost two of our main players to potentially season ending injuries and got tanked 5-1 by a team we’re supposed to be competing with and looked absolutely shocking defensively.  I think people have every right to be panicking. I could just about get over the result but those injuries and the key players who have suffered the will have a huge impact on our season.

I'm not panicking, I think we'll fix it, I'm just angry, and to be honest I think quite justifiably so.

Newcastle are a very good side and this was always going to be tough, - But - Third season in a row where the start of the season seems to have taken us by surprise and we play like clueless rabbits in the headlights.  We looked slow, lethargic, indecisive and vulnerable from the off, got it together for 30 minutes and then did bugger all second half.  We just didn't look well prepared or up for it.  Again.

Sub-standard performances all round but special mentions for Cash , who made the normally useless Gordon look top notch and then missed an absolute sitter, and Bailey who may as well not have travelled. 

Watkins fluffed a very decent chance and then did nothing.

Second half Diaby and Watkins disappeared, Kamara gave the ball away constantly,  Konsa gifted them a goal which effectively killed our chances, and then the whole defence fell to pieces.

Torres looked ok on the ball but does not look like he's been trained in playing the high line properly. 

Creatively the midfield missed Buendia and Ramsey today.  McGinn was way off it, and Tielemans looked poor when he came on.  

Difficult to imagine any other of last year's top 7 or 8 capitulating like we did today to the extent of shipping 5.  Unai has some work to do to sort it out.  And please never ever pick Bailey for an away game again.

13 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Yep and Gordon is awful apparently 

He's been pretty consistently an appalling player for a couple of years, tbf. Well done to Howe if he makes something out of him.

Meh. Wank result. So disappointing. 

Pretty much in line with what we know though. 

The high line works really well for us...but a mm out through miscommunication and you let the opposition in. (Not to mention dubious offsides not being called) I wonder if the constant changes of defenders in preseason may have hampered the unit in playing the tight offsides. 

Newcastle are up there with the best at pressing and bullying teams physically - and for some reason the officials are keen to let them do it. 

Watkins is a great player, but not as clinical as we need when we want to take advantage when we're on top as Isak did. 

We need an alternative striker to use in games. 

Bailey has probably run out of time. Swapping Buendia for him in the starting line up would've helped Newcastle get on top.

We could probably use a midfield with physical presence as well as passing ability.

We play some good football and will always create chances.

Wilson and Barnes will always score whenever they play Villa.

The media bumming of Newcastle is gross and relentless. 

12 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Yeah finishing 7th and qualifying for Europe was shit wasn’t it?

It's mostly been shit the last 13 years. Last season was the odd exception. 

A smaller club like spurs got top 4 seven times since that time. Of course we can't have nice things like that, hence why every supporter of other clubs think we're small too.

3 minutes ago, striker said:

Said to a mate of mine in pre-season that if Emery continues with that high line the better teams (top six) will slaughter Villa. You simply cannot play that way against the better sides who have too much quality and will pick you apart!

Generally it was a really poor performance and the score line flattered Villa. 

Villa played against a CL team today and it showed in every area of the pitch. 

Emery needs to drop the high line now before he has more embarrassing results on his hands. I questioned his appointment at the time and still need to be convinced by him.

Wish we had you in charge ☹️

1 minute ago, striker said:

Said to a mate of mine in pre-season that if Emery continues with that high line the better teams (top six) will slaughter Villa. You simply cannot play that way against the better sides who have too much quality and will pick you apart!

Generally it was a really poor performance and the score line flattered Villa. 

Villa played against a CL team today and it showed in every area of the pitch. 

Emery needs to drop the high line now before he has more embarrassing results on his hands. I questioned his appointment at the time and still need to be convinced by him.

I'm not sure what more convincing you need after last season? I agree that Emery needs to rethink that high line now but there is nothing to suggest that he won't analyse this game and make adjustments. 

Just now, Captain_Townsend said:

Yeah, two ACL injuries to two vital players in a week, we totally brought that on ourselves, yeah.

Thing is Villa are playing catch-up now...

Two very important players down, likely out for the majority of the season.

My expectations for this season have suddenly dropped considerably; Emery looked crestfallen too. It was noticed.

Â