Ratings & Reactions: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/08/23 at 22:59

Just now, TheFish said:

Ahh, fair enough, yeah we were terrible that game and you were absolutely deserved winners. I don't think any of our lot got the better of their counterpart.

Moreno's not better than Trippier overall though. Don't want to get into a spat or anything, but I have to stick up for him.

See I believe that he is and proved it on that day, I also predicted that before the match.

Moreno was too quick for him...

2 hours ago, TheFish said:

Before Mings went off I think it was a close game, but once you lost him to injury the game got away from you. Then as the game went on you seemed to tire and we got stronger. I don't think that result/performance is indicative of how either team will play the rest of the season. You'll still have a very good season, you're too good not to. 

I wouldn't be shocked to see us lose the return leg at Villa Park.

Make no mistake, of my point....Newcastle United are a very good team and are only due to get better.....Can they win the league? why not.

I am not arguing with the notion of Mings's injury.....but let me remind you, when he was on the pitch.....That first goal.....Firstly, Anthony Gordon was blessed by a half soaked Leon Bailey, who made a lazy gesture of a raised leg yards off Gordon, subsequently a well measured delivery ensued.....while I accept the intelligence and anticipation of Tonali's movement was top class, it was at the same time aided and abetted by a lethargic Kamara and a slow on the uptake, Lucas Digne.......All that for me set the tone, just as McGinn's challenges on Dan Burn in the very early exchanges at Villa Park, set that tone.

That game will not define either teams Seasons, and I accept they are both really good teams.

Oh and bye the way, the impressive way the Toon Army responded to Tyrone Mings injury, was top class.....surely that has to be an olive branch, to get 2 sets of supporters, to appreciate each other.

30 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

See I believe that he is and proved it on that day, I also predicted that before the match.

Moreno was too quick for him...

I take performances over the course of a season, at least. Trippier was the best fullback in the league last year, and arguably has been since he joined us. 

Moreno had his number at Villa Park, no doubt, but the whole team played beneath themselves. 

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Make no mistake, of my point....Newcastle United are a very good team and are only due to get better.....Can they win the league? why not.

I am not arguing with the notion of Mings's injury.....but let me remind you, when he was on the pitch.....That first goal.....Firstly, Anthony Gordon was blessed by a half soaked Leon Bailey, who made a lazy gesture of a raised leg yards off Gordon, subsequently a well measured delivery ensued.....while I accept the intelligence and anticipation of Tonali's movement was top class, it was at the same time aided and abetted by a lethargic Kamara and a slow on the uptake, Lucas Digne.......All that for me set the tone, just as McGinn's challenges on Dan Burn in the very early exchanges at Villa Park, set that tone.

That game will not define either teams Seasons, and I accept they are both really good teams.

Oh and bye the way, the impressive way the Toon Army responded to Tyrone Mings injury, was top class.....surely that has to be an olive branch, to get 2 sets of supporters, to appreciate each other.

We cannot win the league, haven't the depth or quality to really challenge Arsenal, let alone the Light Blue Behemoth. You'll see on the weekend how big of a gap there is between us and a below full strength Man City.

I think a lot of that ridiculous animosity has disappeared now that both fans are happy with how things are going. No misplaced, misdirected anger. When Mings stayed down, I thought he was trying to win a foul/get Isak booked. But it soon became apparent that there was something very wrong. Awful to see a player go off on a stretcher, especially one who wouldn't fake it. 

I reckon you'll be among the pack chasing for the 5 Champions League spots, as will we. I don't know if Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs have done enough in the window/managers office to put the disappoints of last season behind them, but I'm worried they have and that they'll join Arsenal, Man City and Man Utd at the top of the tree once more.

Hope everyone who came up to St James' had a good visit, away from the football. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, TheFish said:

I take performances over the course of a season, at least. Trippier was the best fullback in the league last year, and arguably has been since he joined us. 

Moreno had his number at Villa Park, no doubt, but the whole team played beneath themselves. 

Moreno only joined Villa but when he was up to speed he was exceptional for us; he's a big miss for Villa at the moment.

I had no idea he was rated that highly (Trippier) interesting if he keeps that standard up this coming season...

25 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Moreno only joined Villa but when he was up to speed he was exceptional for us; he's a big miss for Villa at the moment.

I had no idea he was rated that highly (Trippier) interesting if he keeps that standard up this coming season...

Really? That genuinely shocks me, he's one of the best right backs in the world. 

2 hours ago, TheFish said:

Really? That genuinely shocks me, he's one of the best right backs in the world. 

Who'd a thunk it? Wonder why he never went to one of the best teams in the world?

But then I never really watch any other football these days...just the Villa.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

5 hours ago, TheFish said:

He's a great player and has been a major part of your upturn.

You was the hungrier team on Sunday and deserved to beat us, fans played apart in that as well. 

Our performance was fractured, we started OK but when Mings was injured it took a big part of our spirit away.

Moreno....he was arguably our best player when we played you at our place and he did, with the help of Beundia, cause you real issues. It was a dominant performance from us, as dominant as yours was against (izaak is a top top striker, clinical and skillful) 

We are both up for good seasons,  hopefully,  and I'm pretty sure one of us, if not both, will be top 4.

I look forward to you coming to villa Park, hopefully it will be emery 2 howe 1 . UTV 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tinker said:

He's a great player and has been a major part of your upturn.

You was the hungrier team on Sunday and deserved to beat us, fans played apart in that as well. 

Our performance was fractured, we started OK but when Mings was injured it took a big part of our spirit away.

Moreno....he was arguably our best player when we played you at our place and he did, with the help of Beundia, cause you real issues. It was a dominant performance from us, as dominant as yours was against (izaak is a top top striker, clinical and skillful) 

We are both up for good seasons,  hopefully,  and I'm pretty sure one of us, if not both, will be top 4.

I look forward to you coming to villa Park, hopefully it will be emery 2 howe 1 . UTV 

Cannot overstate his importance to the club. First player to join us after the takeover, immediately imposed his professionalism on the group, raised the standard of every player, he's captain in all but name. Model professional and a nice bloke by all accounts. On the new puff piece documentary he reveals that his Mrs was feeling lonely and homesick when in Madrid, so he put family first and moved back to England instead of staying at the La Liga Champions.

Definitely think both clubs can expect good seasons. So many people are expecting Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs to have much better seasons than 22/23, but I wonder if that's as guaranteed as made out. Liverpool still don't have a top tier DM, Chelsea are in the middle of a huge overhaul, and Spurs are without Kane and there's no guarantee that Postecoglu will be able to translate his performances in the Scottish league to the Premier League. I don't think they're definitely going to be better than us and yourselves. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Cannot overstate his importance to the club. First player to join us after the takeover, immediately imposed his professionalism on the group, raised the standard of every player, he's captain in all but name. Model professional and a nice bloke by all accounts. On the new puff piece documentary he reveals that his Mrs was feeling lonely and homesick when in Madrid, so he put family first and moved back to England instead of staying at the La Liga Champions.

Definitely think both clubs can expect good seasons. So many people are expecting Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs to have much better seasons than 22/23, but I wonder if that's as guaranteed as made out. Liverpool still don't have a top tier DM, Chelsea are in the middle of a huge overhaul, and Spurs are without Kane and there's no guarantee that Postecoglu will be able to translate his performances in the Scottish league to the Premier League. I don't think they're definitely going to be better than us and yourselves. 

It's very similar to us and Mings, who has been through promotion, near relegation and our recent rise in standing, Mings has grown with us and his influence on our dressing room is massive, he's a great bloke and a massive miss.

I see it as you do with the league as well, the traditional top 6 teams seem to be in transition and they are vulnerable. Even city don't seem to be at full strength atm. Although their in depth strength is alarming, Cole Palmer looks like a De Bruyne clone. 

Good luck for the rest of the season , bar the Jan 30th. 😉

• Like 1

Â