Ratings & Reactions: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/08/23 at 22:59

They just interviewed Isak on NBC here in the States. They asked him if Newcastle were targeting certain spaces. He was quite blunt saying that they knew that Villa play a high line and wanted to hurt us for it.

Edited by TomC

3 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Yeah, two ACL injuries to two vital players in a week, we totally brought that on ourselves, yeah.

what are you talking about?

Are you telling me that you genuinely think that the stars, zodiacs and space fluff aligned to apply some wiffy waffy magic curse of bad luck to Aston Villa Football Club?

Or is it that our tactics were poor, a lot of our players were poor?, a lot of our players sh** the bed and lost composure (and their brains)?, some players played terribly, made stupid mistakes and we got spanked?

Or was it wiffy waffy magic?

Edited by MaVilla

21 minutes ago, Dale said:

Defence was criminal. Kamara poor. Youri poor. Cash very bad. Konsa, oh god. Who's gonna lead the defence sans Mings. Woeful, but score still unrepresentative. 

Youri poor??? FFS give the bloke half a chance

4 minutes ago, striker said:

Said to a mate of mine in pre-season that if Emery continues with that high line the better teams (top six) will slaughter Villa. You simply cannot play that way against the better sides who have too much quality and will pick you apart!

Generally it was a really poor performance and the score line flattered Villa. 

Villa played against a CL team today and it showed in every area of the pitch. 

Emery needs to drop the high line now before he has more embarrassing results on his hands. I questioned his appointment at the time and still need to be convinced by him.

Do you actually really genuinely believe this though? Hmm

5 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

Odd decisions from emery in the line up didn’t help. Putting Bailey in is pure idiocy at this stage- he’s shown absolutely nothing to warrant a starting spot during pre season. We shouldn’t kid ourselves: even when mings was on the pitch we were poor given we were missing an ability to link the play between midfield and attack which Buendia brings. The obvious alternative to bring in was coutinho who looked good in his cameo and could have done the Buendia role. That’s on Unai

I think we’re gonna have to get comfortable with having a slower start to this season given the sucker punch of the mings/Buendia injuries. That means the fans being patient these first few months. But it also means there should be an onus on the board to bring forward any signings planned for January into these next couple of weeks. Buendia, ramsey’s and moreno’s returns will feel like new signings when they happen but the squad urgently needs a boost right now.

The negatives (other than injuries obviously):

- Martinez needs to concentrate more and cut out his bullshit time wasting- it will cost us

- Torres looks off the pace still

- Cash basically hasn’t improved in 3 years playing for us. Still weak in one on ones and at playing the offside trap

- Kamara looks off the pace and might be worthy of being dropped for tielemans next week

- Watkins was poor overall and missed a key chance. When big players like mings are out you need others to step up and Watkins didn’t 

- the officials were awful. Their first goal should have been disallowed and we had a genuine penalty claim barely looked at. What’s more the Sky commentary team barely looked at the first goal offside issue. I won’t go as far as to say the officials are bought, but watch out for the lack of scrutiny Newcastle will be subject too through the season by the media given their god-given de facto top 6 status. I bet that MOTD will focus a load of time on the Martinez yellow card and spend no time on the offside for the first goal 

The positives:

- Luiz was brilliant- genuine defensive splitting passes at times which is an element of his game I hadn’t seen before 

- Diaby was also good and you can see what he adds to the side. He’s great both off and on the ball

- it’s controversial to say it but I thought konsa had a decent game overall despite his mistake

A true reflection.. thank you for posting

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Amen.

That's macandally's standard response to a defeat though, have a go at the disappointed fans on here.

I think there's ways of expressing it though.

I can absolutely understand being frustrated and horrified at that performance and scoreline, but some of the posts insulting our players came as early as 45 minutes into the first competitive game of the season. Think we had people calling Cash and Bailey shite and calling for subs ten minutes in.

You know when you're at the game, things aren't going well, and there's some nobhead foaming at the mouth, spitting everywhere as he screams incoherent abuse at the players? A few of them post here apparently.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Villa were still in the game at 2-1 and made two more decent chances, which were fluffed.

They passed the ball surprisingly well around a congested midfield but then started to give the ball away and had too many ring-twittering moments playing it out from the back.

The howler from Konsa ended Villa's interest in the the game.

With three guys out with knackered knees, Villa seem to have run our of luck, and history looks likely to repeat itself.

Villa certainly don't look equipped to play three games a week, and spending every midweek touring the lesser-known parts of Europe won't help.

We can only hope that it was just a case of Newcastle being a lot better on the day, and we can only pray confidence doesn't evaporate as fast as it has done too many times in the past.

4 minutes ago, striker said:

Said to a mate of mine in pre-season that if Emery continues with that high line the better teams (top six) will slaughter Villa. You simply cannot play that way against the better sides who have too much quality and will pick you apart!

Generally it was a really poor performance and the score line flattered Villa. 

Villa played against a CL team today and it showed in every area of the pitch. 

Emery needs to drop the high line now before he has more embarrassing results on his hands. I questioned his appointment at the time and still need to be convinced by him.

Is this sarcasm? I can’t tell.

15 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

What did you expect? We drew 3-3 with them in USA and the man who scored two and assisted one is out for the season. 

We had no left side of our team today. We lost our best defender to a terrible injury. We had a right forward who dell over like a feather touched him. 

They are funded by a country and using that country to filter money in and out. The result was predictable - the score less so. 

Wilson and Barnes scoring was so so obvious. 

It is a bonus for us. We will have to do business if we are to compete. 

This is probably the most rediculous post, ever… are you saying losing 5-1 is acceptable because of those conditions that you mentioned? And we shouldn’t say that we did anything wrong with how we played? Injury aside… many many teams do not perform like that… 

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I think there's ways of expressing it though.

I can absolutely understand being frustrated and horrified at that performance and scoreline, but some of the posts insulting our players came as early as 45 minutes into the first competitive game of the season. Think we had people calling Cash and Bailey shite and calling for subs ten minutes in.

You know when you're at the game, things aren't going well, and there's some nobhead foaming at the mouth, spitting everywhere as he screams incoherent abuse at the players? A few of them post here apparently.

Mm hmm. And over the course of the 90 mins (or first half in Bailey's case), were those posters proven right or wrong? 

You can justifiably call out if someone is flagrantly abusing a player for no reason or going way over the top, but fans are well within rights to call a performance as they see it.

Bailey and Cash were shite, and not for the first time by any means. It's a weird kind of sentimental denial to want to frame any other kind of narrative around it.

11 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Think Bailey needs to be sold on that showing. Looks unfit, hasn’t learnt anything defensively, it’s been too long now.

Yes, we're into season three (granted, he missed much of his first season with injuries) and he still isn't looking up to it. I'm patient, but I'm beginning to accept that he will end up a flop.

• Like 1

I shut it off after 87 minutes fully expecting to read that they scored a 5th. :rolleyes:

Terrible loss, shocking performance, catastrophic injury. Hard to imagine a worse opening match scenario.

To make matters even more painful, you could see how Buendia, Ramsey, Moreno and Ashley Young would have made a difference.

We have 2nd rate fullbacks and and a dull edge in attack when Ollie is not at his best or contained. 

This result screams for more signings if we want to challenge for anything.

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

what are you talking about?

Are you telling me that you genuinely think that the stars, zodiacs and space fluff aligned to apply some wiffy waffy magic curse of bad luck to Aston Villa Football Club?

Or is it that our tactics were poor, a lot of our players were poor?, a lot of our players sh** the bed and lost composure (and their brains)?, some players played terribly, made stupid mistakes and we got spanked?

Or was it wiffy waffy magic?

How rude of you to talk to me lile that.

We have been preparing for a season with optimism and two players go down with ACL's in a few days. Am I not allowed to comment that this is unfortunate???

I have a doctorate by the way and don't appreciate your condescending tone. 

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

Just now, est1874 said:

Mm hmm. And over the course of the 90 mins (or first half in Bailey's case), were those posters proven right or wrong? 

You can justifiably call out if someone is flagrantly abusing a player for no reason or going way over the top, but fans are well within rights to call a performance as they see it.

Bailey and Cash were shite, and not for the first time by any means. It's a weird kind of sentimental denial to want to frame any other kind of narrative around it.

They were poor for sure - Bailey more so than Cash, IMO - but people had written them off in 10 minutes, and that's without considering the people who can't criticise without it being abusive. With fans like that, who needs an away end.

• Like 1

Not too bothered about that one ...... was always a tough game and we'll move on from here.

My only criticism is starting Bailey who, to my eyes, is not and has never been Premier standard. He was way out of his depth tonight and hopefully Emery saw enough evidence. Hopefully he won't start another game ..... just use him as a supersub ..... better off, sell him fast !

Just now, Davkaus said:

They were poor for sure - Bailey more so than Cash, IMO - but people had written them off in 10 minutes, and that's without considering the people who can't criticise without it being abusive. With fans like that, who needs an away end.

But they were right, were they not?

Â