Ratings & Reactions: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/08/23 at 22:59

Best to just forget this debacle and start again for the next game.

Losing Mings shook us. We were poor, but the officiating was utter garbage. Any tackle on a Newcastle player resulted in a foul while they were able to shove and kick our players at will.

The lack of fight for the last 30 mins was massively out of character and this has to be dealt with immediately. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Hahahaha! Sense of humour is important after a defeat like this.

What exactly is funny about what I said? Genuine question. As there's no relation between your response and my post.

It was inevitable that there would be downs.

Exasperated by the extremely high expectations and dare i say even over optimism from some people.

Another reason I knew/felt all these talk of Champions League etc was setting us up for potential failure and embarrassment.

I have faith in him to get it right, bu ti don't think we can downplay the unexpected disruptions of the past few days.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

It’s no fun being a Villa fan is it? Renewed hope dashed by reality. How often does this happen ? 

Emery has a lot to sort out but I won’t blame him if he becomes yet another manager overwhelmed  by the “Villa disease” 

That was one of the worst performances I have seen fie a long time.

Yeah finishing 7th and qualifying for Europe was shit wasn’t it?

• Like 2

A big big worry is how narrow we want to build up, stop that and we have no answer. No Moreno kills any attacking threat on the left. I think we need Diaby out right and a forward beside Ollie. I’ve seen a lot of analysis of how we don’t press in the final third and allow teams to build up, I think it needs to change against better teams because they’re going to kill us with quality. 

That's about the worst opening game of a season that I can remember. There's no doubt that the Mings injury completely rocked us, but it was concerning just how much of a shambles we looked today.

Konsa or Torres will have to seriously step up and show some leadership this season. Mings is a massive presence on the pitch and I do worry how our defence is going to look without his organisational skills.

Just now, est1874 said:

What exactly is funny about what I said? Genuine question. As there's no relation between your response and my post.

He thinks you're overreacting obviously

• Like 1

What is it about Villa and the first day of the season?

Let's say this first: Newcastle are an excellent side. I could see them in the mix for the title. We already knew they had an excellent defence, joint best in the league last year. But now they have a midfield capable of dominating. Guimaraes and Tonali ran the show. That was the biggest difference.

That said, they shouldn't be 5-1 better than us. Lots of blame to go around.

Kamara: He was off in 2 of the 3 preseason games that I saw, and was off again today. Lost his man for their first goal. Gave away the ball for their 5th. Lots of misplaced passes. I'm worried about him.

Doug: He wasn't poor, just mostly invisible. He and Kamara could not contain Tonali and Guimaraes,

Cash: Probably our busiest player today. Not as bad as some people in the match thread said. Just average.

Konsa: Bad mistake for their 3rd goal. Apparently forgot that he was now playing right back for their 5th and left Barnes unmarked on the flank. Just not mentally in it second half.

Pau: You can see his skill with the ball, but like Moreno did, he's going to need time to adjust to the PL. Lost his man for the 4th goal. Burned a few other times.

Digne: Nice work for our goal. Like Cash, kind of average.

Bailey: Just useless.

Diaby: The bright spot. The real deal.

Watkins: Worked his socks off. Nice flick-on for our goal; not something you see from his often. But not at his best overall.

McGinn: Did a lot of little things well.

Tielemans: Surprised to see us go 5-3-2, and even then, we got overrun in midfield. Not much wrong, just outclassed along with Doug and Kamara.

Mings: We're going to miss him. The defence did not look organized without him.

Unai: Outthought today. Newcastle exploited our high line and he didn't have an answer. Tried switching to 5-3-2 to get Cash and Digne forward more, and what does Howe do? Substitute fresh legs on both wings to make them defend, since both of them were already fatigued.

We can recover from this. The next two matches will be crucial to get our season on course.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Â