Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

36 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

All of this just makes me wonder, again, why a perfectly good revamp as approved by fans has been set aside for yet more tinkering and ultimately bickering. 

Because it looks nigh on identical to the badge of a much more successful club in the modern era and that's a really weird choice. No brand/club with any sense or self respect—or ambition for themselves—would chose to follow in the direct footsteps of a more successful club no matter what some fans voted for.  

Edited by Rolta

1 hour ago, sne said:

Philly rocking that City group round badge we supposedly will move away from due to Heck...

Edit: A round badge that is also rather busy. Name, stars, numbers and a ball. Not exactly the minimalistic Juve style thing is it.

They use the partial primary most of the time. It's easily recognisable as them and has the 13 stars as their key characteristic. That's the issue with ours. At a glance you can't tell who it is. 

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

They use the partial primary most of the time. It's easily recognisable as them and has the 13 stars as their key characteristic. That's the issue with ours. At a glance you can't tell who it is. 

There are a lot of problems with our branding but being unrecognizable is not one of them. We are one of very few clubs using claret and blue, and of those clubs the only one using a lion as our symbol. And whether it says AVFC or Aston Villa, it clearly calls out who we are.

I don't think that's the issue at all personally.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Could anyone explain to me why people think Heck's 76ers rebrand is so good? 

I think it looks bland, lacking in personality, and overall just a bit shit tbh.

Their previous logo/brand was admittedly dated but still much much more distinct and interesting to me.

A valid point, the revamped logo was fairly basic, and far less intricate and bold than their previous one.

Probably worth noting that it came after two decades of under achievement for them, and coincided with them winning the league again. Succes on the pitch (or court in their case) brings joy off it.

Edited by MrBlack

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

There are a lot of problems with our branding but being unrecognizable is not one of them. We are one of very few clubs using claret and blue, and of those clubs the only one using a lion as our symbol. And whether it says AVFC or Aston Villa, it clearly calls out who we are.

I don't think that's the issue at all personally.

It looks far too similar to the Chelsea badge and the colours are washed out so it doesn't look like our colours. The blue is far too close to west hams and the claret is too purple. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

It looks far too similar to the Chelsea badge and the colours are washed out so it doesn't look like our colours. The blue is far too close to west hams and the claret is too purple. 

Also the fact our lion is new (again)...we've had so many that we can't claim a particular lion as ours.

You want one that you see, and you think,  that is Aston Villa. The new iteration might be it, but it needs time to develop a reputation. Success whilst we have that lion will help, then it can become "the" villa lion. 

But whether it stays in a circle or not, and how we use it in different media will be the end goal.

20 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Because it looks nigh on identical to the badge of a much more successful club in the modern era and that's a really weird choice. No brand/club with any sense or self respect—or ambition for themselves—would chose to follow in the direct footsteps of a more successful club no matter what some fans voted for.  

If you throw away our heritage just to become a 'unique brand entity', you are selling out big time.

The badge was chosen as an option originally specifically because of it's historic use. 

We can't copy other clubs, but going the other way and alienating our own history to avoid it being similar to Chelsea, who essentially copied us, is similarly desperate.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

If you throw away our heritage just to become a 'unique brand entity', you are selling out big time.

The badge was chosen as an option originally specifically because of it's historic use. 

We can't copy other clubs, but going the other way and alienating our own history to avoid it being similar to Chelsea, who essentially copied us, is similarly desperate.

It wouldn't make sense to do it despite what you say. There's a better way. And the Chelsea badge is an unavoidable reality. 

For transparency, I have no love for the round badges, so I am particularly biased on this, but I guess that's where I'm at.

Edited by Rolta

4 minutes ago, Rolta said:

It wouldn't make sense to do it despite what you say. There's a better way. And the Chelsea badge is an unavoidable reality. 

For transparency, I have no love for the round badges, so I am particularly biased on this, but I guess that's where I'm at.

Imo any rebranding should be: 'We're Aston Villa, this is who WE are'

If the purpose is 'We're Aston Villa, we're definitely not Chelsea', then the whole thing will be worse than pointless, and will be a waste of time and money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

So we can hazard a guess that Heck has come in, doesn't like the new-old nostalgia crest / doesn't think it stands out among other teams' crests / looks to similar to Chelsea's which looked too similar to ours in the first (?) place.

The official crest change seems to have been put on hold, will feature on the new kit because well it's already been manufactured, and we won't be changing our branding from Lerner's tattoo just yet. But I guess that 99.9% of us want to, so it's time for some more ideas again.

Let's start with the gas lamp that was voted on:

aston-villa-launch-crest-vote-with-2-opt

I mocked up a version (needs a thicker gold border though) in the same colours (i.e. blue background, claret lion) and the 23/24 badge as it may forever be known as:

claretlionsmall.png.e02d8dac2fe33a55a3e1

Or how about the free lion that we say on the Villa Live building representations and this swanky jacket:

Screenshot-2023-06-28-at-11-36-59.png

We could also move to a diamond shape. Here's one concept I stumbled across:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQL2NdCJootu8QUAbqZ8K2

And I can't see who posted it now so hopefully they'll be along shortly with their designs, but I swapped the colours to more closely match the 23/24 badge here too:

5.png

Have at it.

I like the 3rd one down. Get it sorted 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Screenshot-2023-06-28-at-11-36-59.png

Think at least one of the 3 kits next season or the season after that will have something like this.

Turn the lion around, drop the star and have the lion (and text if they include it) in gold (depending on what color the kit is of course) and it should look fine.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's difficult - I also like the gaslamp shield and I think Heck would prefer a shield - but you can't really bring that one back when it was so heavily outvoted by the fanbase when put up against the round badge - you'd get a load of noise about ignoring fans, and potentially some opposition from the FA on their cultural objects rulings so they'll need to come up with something that's in some way different to the (very good) Gaslamp shield but still meets Heck's liking for a traditional shield.

The diamond ones are horrible - and thankfully I don't think there's any appetite in the club to do anything extreme.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see something very traditional next season for the 150th (just a lion?) followed by a slightly cleaned up version of last years shield for the season after and the foreseeable future.

Oh bugger.

As long as it's not as bland or simplistic as our old badge, I'll put up with it. Otherwise, I think a lot of the fans who care about these things will be very disappointed.

Edited by His Name Is Death

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Given the cryptic phrasing that accompanied our new kit release and the mod warnings from the 2022 crest thread, let's discuss what we think Heck's planning to do with our badge

Hopefully we get a few more insights in the coming weeks but until we do...

The quote from the release:

This suggests to me there is some concern within the villa camp that the new badge isn't right for our future.

Combine this with the fact Heck has given a talk on how the 76ers badge was formed, and the role he played in it, and it looks like we'll get something new for next season. 

This is the logo "range" the 76ers use:

spacer.png

I think we'll get a similar style badge that has modular components that allows us to use various parts for various purposes.

I'm envisaging a crest + lion that will be our primary. This could well be the current circular badge with some slight modifications to make it stand out a bit more.

The lion ends up being the partial primary that we use on the kit.  And I can see a recreation of the Villa Villan for our secondary.

What do you think we'll get and what do you want to see?

It did make me laugh when people were up in arms about having 2 crests, and saying "I like the simplicity of the 76ers badge" - they've got 5 of them!

For my 2 penceworth, I think the Free Lion is the classiest, followed up by the AV diamond (there was a gold version that looked great but I can't find it now), maybe Heck will give us a combination of the two to be used in different situations?

3 hours ago, MrBlack said:

For reference, I think the ones we ended up with lacked vibrancy and definition. Especially on a claret shirt. I think swapping some colours over would have made them both better....

reworkedvilla.thumb.png.a18d42f955069adf91f165025cfa104d.png

Big fan of the gas lap design in these colours. 

I hate the font though. And I think having perfectly horizontal text inside the slants of the Shield looks a bit odd.

Centralise the lion, do something new with the text and I'm happy. Maybe there's a midground  here with stylising the top and bottom points to look a bit like @Teale's 'tache diamond

• Like 1

1 hour ago, His Name Is Death said:

As long as it's not as bland or simplistic as our old badge, I'll put up with it. Otherwise, I think a lot of the fans who care about these things will be very disappointed.

The vast majority of fans were against anything too outlandish, proposals that strayed away from a shield or a round badge and didn't feature a lion were almost universally disliked.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I like the 3rd one down. Get it sorted 

The third one down is part of our current crest - the crest is designed so that elements of it can be pulled out and used in different ways on different surfaces and products - the aim of the designers was to use the Lion & Name (they called it the lion unleashed) in lots of places.

I also really like the 3rd one down.

But it's the bit that we're now not using.

• Like 1

Â