Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

I may be coming across as a pedant here, but I'm allowed to because this is my job and it's important to me.

Even those shitehawks on the blue side of Manchester were using round badges well before us.

We need to be looking forwards. Just because none of us on VT can imagine what it might look like, that doesn't mean it isn't possible.

image.png

image.png

image.png

I’m confused. Are there people here who really think we were the original round badge?

12 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I may be coming across as a pedant here, but I'm allowed to because this is my job and it's important to me.

Even those shitehawks on the blue side of Manchester were using round badges well before us.

We need to be looking forwards. Just because none of us on VT can imagine what it might look like, that doesn't mean it isn't possible.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Interesting how contemporary Chelsea’s badge was, in 1952!

11 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I’m confused. Are there people here who really think we were the original round badge?

See below...

4 hours ago, HKP90 said:

If you throw away our heritage just to become a 'unique brand entity', you are selling out big time.

The badge was chosen as an option originally specifically because of it's historic use. 

We can't copy other clubs, but going the other way and alienating our own history to avoid it being similar to Chelsea, who essentially copied us, is similarly desperate.

• Shocked 1

23 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

image.png

image.png

image.png

Nice having the comparison of all our badges. Maybe we should go back to our 1886-1956 badge - the city is ours. Also, while I'm  not a fan of the current yellow/gold lion badge, the first Lerner rebrand was pretty  shocking. I've  been a round badge die hard - went to my first game in 1990 - but seeing them all together, I think the 56-69 might be the best of the lot

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrBlack said:

For reference, I think the ones we ended up with lacked vibrancy and definition. Especially on a claret shirt. I think swapping some colours over would have made them both better....

reworkedvilla.thumb.png.a18d42f955069adf91f165025cfa104d.png

Better 😃 much better 😄

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Billson said:

Personally just think adding a yellow border makes a big difference and helps it stand out more, just like the old badge. Oh, and the lion facing the usual way.

Villa.jpg

That’s great too but make it more claret and less purple.

Its so funny how easily and quickly people have improved on the chosen design 🤣

8 hours ago, MrBlack said:

For reference, I think the ones we ended up with lacked vibrancy and definition. Especially on a claret shirt. I think swapping some colours over would have made them both better....

reworkedvilla.thumb.png.a18d42f955069adf91f165025cfa104d.png

Having the lion in gold is an improvement for me and would pop better on this year's shirt. Also am I the only one who thinks it looks like the lion is getting pissed off trying to swat away a bee?

3 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

image.png

image.png

image.png

Heard you say this and explain it very well on the pod and completely agree.. But out of interest what does that actually entail?

I literally don't have the ability to envisage what this outsider attention grabbing symbolic representative of what villas standing in the game fresh idea of a badge is

What would you think of villa doing a juve for example?

3 hours ago, MrBlack said:

See below...

Before Chelsea adopted the roundel (that looked like ours) in 2005, they'd not used it for 50 years. 

Besides, the main (and to be honest the only) point was that the majority of people picked our current badge because it meant something to them, and not because it did or didn't look like any other badge, whether it's Chelsea, Man City, or whatever, which is as it should be. If we're gonna retire shapes on the basis that other people use them, we will be onto dodecahedrons soon. This is about us, not f***ing Chelsea. F*** Chelsea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Before Chelsea adopted the roundel (that looked like ours) in 2005, they'd not used it for 50 years. 

Besides, the main (and to be honest the only) point was that the majority of people picked our current badge because it meant something to them, and not because it did or didn't look like any other badge, whether it's Chelsea, Man City, or whatever, which is as it should be. If we're gonna retire shapes on the basis that other people use them, we will be onto dodecahedrons soon. This is about us, not f***ing Chelsea. F*** Chelsea.

Yeah, I know, but the point is they didn't copy us.

There are those that think they did though. 

For what it's worth,  they don't have a copyright on the circle, and I agree, **** them.  But at the same time, a circle is not our own DNA and means relatively little in terms of our entire history. 

I'd like us to use something from our history, but I'd like it to mean more than just a circle from our most recent successful period.

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Yeah, I know, but the point is they didn't copy us.

There are those that think they did though. 

For what it's worth,  they don't have a copyright on the circle, and I agree, **** them.  But at the same time, a circle is not our own DNA and means relatively little in terms of our entire history. 

I'd like us to use something from our history, but I'd like it to mean more than just a circle from our most recent successful period.

That's fair, I just want something that we can all get behind, and that, as you say, probably means representing in some way our history. I'm not absolutely entrenched when it comes to the round badge, and i'm open to suggestions, but it does hark back to one of arguably our most successful periods.

That said, if we were to drop it, I do think the Gaslamp is a good idea, as it is both unique, and acknowledges our history. None of the other options that I saw during the recent consult apart from the two finalists did much for me tbh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Can someone catch me up with what’s going on? I’ve just come back from holiday, been keeping an eye on most stuff with us but what’s all this about the badge not being permanent? When did that come out!? Cheers!

They have done a lot of backtracking and said the new badge, now described as a sort of homage to 1982 (in 2023!), is for the kits and training gear only and they will monitor reaction to it. They are keeping the Lerner badge for everything else, for the time being.

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Thanks 1

Â