Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

Given the cryptic phrasing that accompanied our new kit release and the mod warnings from the 2022 crest thread, let's discuss what we think Heck's planning to do with our badge

Hopefully we get a few more insights in the coming weeks but until we do...

The quote from the release:

The redesigned crest, which pays homage to our European Cup-winning heroes of 1982, appears on Villa’s playing and training kits this season.

The club will continue to use the existing shield design around Villa Park and on our digital channels, as well as in other areas.

Aston Villa will monitor local, national and global reaction along with feedback to the use of both the crest and kit moniker as the 2023/24 campaign progresses.

With our landmark 150th anniversary on the horizon next season, the club will further engage with supporters on the future identity of Aston Villa and how it should look for the next 150 years and beyond.

This suggests to me there is some concern within the villa camp that the new badge isn't right for our future.

Combine this with the fact Heck has given a talk on how the 76ers badge was formed, and the role he played in it, and it looks like we'll get something new for next season. 

This is the logo "range" the 76ers use:

spacer.png

I think we'll get a similar style badge that has modular components that allows us to use various parts for various purposes.

I'm envisaging a crest + lion that will be our primary. This could well be the current circular badge with some slight modifications to make it stand out a bit more.

The lion ends up being the partial primary that we use on the kit.  And I can see a recreation of the Villa Villan for our secondary.

What do you think we'll get and what do you want to see?

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

I think we'll get a similar style badge that has modular components that allows us to use various parts for various purposes.

It's interesting because that's exactly what we have, and the design company made a big play of this right through the consultation process - we have the full round badge, the standalone Lion & Name and the ability to pull out elements from the badge and use them separately - it's just that this has been abandoned, so we'll most likely never see it outside of its full form and on this season's kits.

What do you think we'll get and what do you want to see?

I think there are two things, I think that Heck sees the round badge as lacking tradition and would prefer a return to a shield, and I think he'll want something that's clean, simple and will stand out. I think the big concern that he has with the 2022 round crest is that it too closely resembles Chelsea and that globally, that's seen as us imitating, even though English fans wouldn't see it that way.

• Like 1

Philly rocking that City group round badge we supposedly will move away from due to Heck...

Edit: A round badge that is also rather busy. Name, stars, numbers and a ball. Not exactly the minimalistic Juve style thing is it.

Edited by sne

14 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Spent too long making my thread it seems...if a mod can merge that would be great :)...

You mean you didn't back out to check if a new topic had been created while you were typing all that? Tut tut ;)

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

For reference, I think the ones we ended up with lacked vibrancy and definition. Especially on a claret shirt. I think swapping some colours over would have made them both better....

reworkedvilla.thumb.png.a18d42f955069adf91f165025cfa104d.png

I do like those. I think though that a gold border helps the crest stand out on any kit coloured apart from gold or yellow of course, whilst yours are too dominated by gold - not one of our official colours.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Philly rocking that City group round badge we supposedly will move away from due to Heck...

They're both circular, but everything inside that outer circle is completely different—and I imagine it doesn't look almost exactly like another team's badge in the same division.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Edit: A round badge that is also rather busy. Name, stars, numbers and a ball. Not exactly the minimalistic Juve style thing is it.

That is interesting. Perhaps if our crest was centred around a football instead of a lion, it would also have to be circular!

6 minutes ago, Rolta said:

They're both circular, but everything inside that outer circle is completely different—and I imagine it doesn't look almost exactly like another team's badge in the same division.

There is about 15 franchises in the NBA using round logos very similar to the Philly one. 

21956712016.gif

Edited by sne

4 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

So we can hazard a guess that Heck has come in, doesn't like the new-old nostalgia crest / doesn't think it stands out among other teams' crests / looks to similar to Chelsea's which looked too similar to ours in the first (?) place.

The official crest change seems to have been put on hold, will feature on the new kit because well it's already been manufactured, and we won't be changing our branding from Lerner's tattoo just yet. But I guess that 99.9% of us want to, so it's time for some more ideas again.

Let's start with the gas lamp that was voted on:

aston-villa-launch-crest-vote-with-2-opt

I mocked up a version (needs a thicker gold border though) in the same colours (i.e. blue background, claret lion) and the 23/24 badge as it may forever be known as:

claretlionsmall.png.e02d8dac2fe33a55a3e1

Or how about the free lion that we say on the Villa Live building representations and this swanky jacket:

Screenshot-2023-06-28-at-11-36-59.png

We could also move to a diamond shape. Here's one concept I stumbled across:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQL2NdCJootu8QUAbqZ8K2

And I can't see who posted it now so hopefully they'll be along shortly with their designs, but I swapped the colours to more closely match the 23/24 badge here too:

5.png

Have at it.

I like the Free Lion the most from the above.

While I also like the AV concept, the lion looks caged in and stuck so a no go.

If we go with that we'd probably have to do away with the rampant, go with a more modern lion head filling it out, or do away with lion altogether.

Again though, I like the free lion with the Aston Villa text.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

For reference, I think the ones we ended up with lacked vibrancy and definition. Especially on a claret shirt. I think swapping some colours over would have made them both better....

reworkedvilla.thumb.png.a18d42f955069adf91f165025cfa104d.png

The colour schemes on both options just seemed so off. You've significantly improved both immediately with just these basic changes.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I do like those. I think though that a gold border helps the crest stand out on any kit coloured apart from gold or yellow of course, whilst yours are too dominated by gold - not one of our official colours.

Yeah I thought the same, especially on the gaslight one. But I think a gold lion looks better than a claret one,  especially so on our primary shirt colour, and it's just the fact it was washed out by a blue background that made it bad before. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

The colour schemes on both options just seemed so off. You've significantly improved both immediately with just these basic changes.

Thanks. 

As well as swapping the colours over, I made the claret more "claret", as they were still too purple in my view. If anyone has actual code for our real claret colour I'll tweak around with them a bit more. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

That would be me, you can view the full thing here:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/147539317/Aston-Villa-Crest-Redesign-Concept

I'll post the images again below:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm planning on exploring this and another idea further if work allows over the summer, just to pass the time as much as anything, I'll be sure to post here if I do.

This, with the lion from the gaslight badge, could be lovely. It's just so uniquely "us".

• Like 1

Just now, Rolta said:

But none of them look idential to another team's badge in the division.

Neither do ours unless you think a ship and a lion is the same thing.

Â