Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

16 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We are 5-2 on aggregate v West Ham this season so we've put that bad match up to bed imo.

Man. United everyone knows is an abnormal psychological hold over us. All I ask is next season we have Konsa-Pau as the CBs for both games and then we'll see what happens as that option wasn't available to us in either game.

We are unbeaten in three of the four games we've played against Chelsea with the Don so let's not overhype them as some jinx opponent, three of those matches have been away aswell.

Our home defeat last season was probably one of our best games under Slippy aswell, that's one match you can't pin on tactical ineptique for us losing under him.

Throw in (hopefully) some Mings physicality too for Man U. Have to think he’s another one of those players who would’ve helped keep us from sinking against Man U.

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

There's still a lot of people who haven't put 2 and 2 together with Villa. Like it's some lucky coincidence that Emery is our manager. 

To be fair there are two reasons I don’t mind…

1. Everybody underestimates us and we fly a lot under the radar.  I was really critical months back about the limited attention we get but I think it’s served to our advantage.  A few weeks back it was agreed by many non-Villa media that Spurs were top four, I even heard somebody mention they might sneak third, and the Man Utd brigade thought they were making up 10 points at the time….yet a few weeks on we are 6 points clear of Spurs, which could be 7 or 9 by Saturday night and although Spurs have games in hand it’s a hard schedule.  We have just gone about our business while discussions carry on about title challenge, relegation battle, Forest statement, European failures, Klopp replacement and received credit for the Arsenal win but that quickly died away and we beat the Cherries and snuck to a nice, points in the bag, lead for fourth place.
  2. I wanted Emery as our manager, I was shocked we got him. I’m still rubbing my eyes how well we’ve done in such a short time, with so many of the same players.  I believed he would get us back up here but in an optimistic three years time and yet he’s got us fighting for Champions League this season.  It feels like to us now that we deserve Champions League, we have games that make it achievable left.  It’s no surprise how non-Villa are shocked how quickly we’ve risen because it’s shocked us Villa fans and because we are used to it now but we are an unfashionable club, not one of the Sky6, not based in London and don’t have many elite ex players all over the media then some non-Villa don’t see that we have become a CL level big club with billionaire owners and an elite manager.  We are a Champions League level team, just hope we clinch it now.
  • Like 1

On 23/04/2024 at 11:27, NorthEastVillan said:

Win Europa League 100%. European final, travelling around Europe and silverware. 

CL is all well and good but we've time to get there and does very little for you if you get knocked out early. Look at some of the teams that have played in it over the last few years (Newcastle, Spurs, Leicester). They don't seem to have benefited from it.

I know exactly where you are coming from and that would have been my answer a few months ago, but we need the money that CL qualification will bring us. That will prevent us being forced to sell one of our better players, will satisfy any player's thirst for CL football and will help us manage our FFP. We might even win it!;)  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Its in our hands, our hands. Imagine saying that 18 months ago with 12 points after 13 games.

Ooh Matron Kenneth Williams GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

They had no Palmer and he's 90% of their team basically 

Not sure he's playing this time either,  him and sanchez are ill.

What's kind of amazing is that we couldn't care less what happens in any games apart from ours and Spurs. No other jeopardy from Man U, Chelsea, Newcastle et al, we are so far clear. Would be nice to be even closer to those above us, but that's for next season. Otherwise can just sit back and enjoy.

20 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Its in our hands, our hands. Imagine saying that 18 months ago with 12 points after 13 games.

I think most of us would've imagined we'd be talking about "being safe from relegation" being in our hands.

Chelsea were beaten 4-2 by Wolves at Stamford Bridge, before they knocked us out of the FA Cup, so awful as they were last night, we can't take a win for granted. I thought they would lose last night, but not by so many against another London club. They are at home to Spurs on Thursday, being at home and given the two clubs mutual dislike for each other, I'm hoping they will show up for that one. 🤞

1 minute ago, John said:

Chelsea were beaten 4-2 by Wolves at Stamford Bridge, before they knocked us out of the FA Cup, so awful as they were last night, we can't take a win for granted. I thought they would lose last night, but not by so many against another London club. They are at home to Spurs on Thursday, being at home and given the two clubs mutual dislike for each other, I'm hoping they will show up for that one. 🤞

This is very true, although worth also noting that the game before their 4-2 defeat by Wolves was a 4-1 defeat away at Liverpool. Hopefully they've got one more stinker in them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John said:

I think if we beat Chelsea and that is an if because they are  good side the pressure on spurs will be huge. They really wouldn’t have much wiggle room so they would have to get points against one of more of Chelsea arsenal Liverpool and Man City and that’s assuming we don’t pick up points in the other 3 games 

• Like 1

2 more wins should really seal it

If we don't get fourth with 72 points then I'm just gonna have to say fair play to Spurs

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 2

My Spurs supporting mate at work thinks and hopes that Villa get 4th place this season. He reckons Spurs aren't ready for the Champions League. Personally, despite us having the points on the board, I think Spurs will get 4th. I just think that it will be tough for us to beat any of the last four teams we play because I can't help but feel our players will have Olympiacos and a possible trophy on their minds. I know they had Lille on their minds too but the next step after Olympiacos is a European final and a lot of our players don't have that on their CV. I think Spurs will get at least a further 9 points. I think we need at least 70 points and that will be difficult. I hope I am wrong! 

22 minutes ago, rubberman said:

What's kind of amazing is that we couldn't care less what happens in any games apart from ours and Spurs. No other jeopardy from Man U, Chelsea, Newcastle et al, we are so far clear. Would be nice to be even closer to those above us, but that's for next season. Otherwise can just sit back and enjoy.

Points wise we’re not that far from top 3 since Emery took over but the goals difference is what shows how far ahead they from us and the rest of the league.  

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

If only we could combine that moment of magic required to win games under Stevie G together with the dogged style of UE, what a team that would be

20 hours ago, Enda said:

A couple of years ago I had tickets to an important match. Apparently I wasn’t allowed to because we were “on honeymoon”, in a “foreign country”. And she was dead serious thinking that was a good excuse.

Mate I'm on honeymoon for Athens 😭

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

This is why it would be absolutely scandalous if we didn't finish in the top 4. Thankfully I'm confident we will. 

Why would it be "Absolutely Scandalous?" It looks like a foregone conclusion that we will, but even if we were to finish, say, 5th and win the ECL, it would still be one hell of an achievement. We would undoubtedly feel aggrieved somewhat, but I don't see how it would be "Scandalous," after all, nothing is guaranteed. 

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

If only we could combine that moment of magic required to win games under Stevie G together with the dogged style of UE, what a team that would be

spacer.png

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

9 behind even with 3 games in hand is hard, but those games in hand being Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal... Yeah..

Or you could look at it as Sheffield United, Burnley and Chelsea.