Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Just now, Pongo Waring said:

Would you say Newcastle are out the race or is just too early to write them off now?

With city next followed by us... 

Sunderland in the cup too and no doubt the expectation that they'll spend a load of money, on top of all of that maybe they lose Ashworth to utd

Personally I thought last year they did incredibly well based largely on buzz and momentum, come the end of January they could have very little of that left... Or conversely they beat us and city, batter Sunderland and buy a superstar....but option 1 is more likely 

I think if we're 19 points clear of them it's a long way back 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Would you say Newcastle are out the race or is just too early to write them off now?

They are certainly out if the target is 70 points. Would need to win 13 and draw 2 of their last 18 which is very very very unlikely with how bad they are away from home.

They'll probably be bottom half going into February and seriously debating changing the manager.

• Like 1

I think Newcastle were already out of it, but you never know what they had planned for January's transfer window. If they can make up 13 points on us in 18 games, we deserve nothing.

There's a long way to go for the CL, but we're 11 points in the lead to at least get the EL and that would have been success for me at the start of the season. 

55 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Any chance they had they've thrown it Haway

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Newcastle have won one match away from home all season, at Sheffield United. They're very unlikely to put together runs of 5 or 6 wins in a row which is what would be needed to overhaul us unless we completely collapse. 

• Like 1

I think some are getting carried away. They are starting to get players back and no European football now so they will be stronger in the second part of the season. We need to beat them at VP to ensure that we remain out of touching distance. 

• Like 1

There are 18 games left to go and 54 points to play for.

It's way too early to write off any of the top 10 imo.

Teams are only a few wins and a few losses away from swapping positions.

Some teams are getting players back to fitness and coming into form.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

If we can beat Everton and draw with them. While they lose to City then yes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

There are 18 games left to go and 54 points to play for.

It's way too early to write off any of the top 10 imo.

Teams are only a few wins and a few losses away from swapping positions.

Some teams are getting players back to fitness and coming into form.

Write them off for what? Top 4? Top 5? Overtaking us? Pretty sure Newcastle in 9th have basically no chance of getting ahead of us. They'd need to score 13 points more than us in 18 games, or 0.7ppg, just to tie on points come the end of the season. Even if we matched the worst 18 game return of Emery's career, which in itself is highly unlikely, Newcastle would still need 1.8ppg to get ahead.

30 points is what we got in the like-for-like of our remaining 18 fixtures last season, and is probably just below what I'd expect us to pick up this season, especially give last season's results include 5 pre-Emery games which gave us only 4 points. So Emery actually got 2ppg for the 13 games he managed last season. Even if we only get 30 points, which would be a couple of points below Emery's career average, that would require anyone from West Ham in 6th down to pick up over 2ppg for remainder of the season to even match us. None of this seems very likely.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

no but I also wouldn't bet on them making cl

they have players coming back but think the owners will have more of an eye on the summer in terms of spending

and a new manager if they finish outside of the top 6

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Newcastle are gassed. They're done. It's between us and Spurs for that 4th spot. Could be 3rd up for grabs too if Arsenal continue to falter.

Fourth will do for me. 

11 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

The real simple way of looking at it is that they now need to replicate what both us and Spurs have done in the first half of the season. PPG wise.

They also need us and Spurs to weaken considerably and effectively replicate what Newcastle did for the first half of the season.

Its possible but pretty unlikely. 

11 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Such a shame we had them week one. We would beat them right now.

Maybe we don't go on the run we have done if we weren't handed that savage lesson.

49 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Newcastle aren’t picking up many points until Pope is back. That injury killed their Champions League hopes in my opinion. It’s like us losing Emi for 3 months.

I'd say that's far from Newcastle's biggest problem. They look absolutely **** all over the park. They'd be losing these games with pope in goal too

• Like 2