Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Of course the teams around us are going to be a problem, what do we expect, we're challenging for top four, not battling for survival, we can take it as a given that the teams around us are going to be winning most of their games, so we just have to look after our own results

But I wouldn't go overboard with Spurs, they haven't looked good today, on another day Bournemouth would have had two or three goals of their own, despite the win it actually makes me worry less about them, as playing like this they will lose more games, if we can't finish above this Spurs team then we won't deserve top four, and that's not based on just today, but other times I've seen them

• Like 2

Just now, Pinebro said:

Everyone are losing points here and there. Why it's so unbelievably close up there.

Whoever has it in them to go on a winning run will start to move away from the pack.

This - December is tough for everyone. Banana skins everywhere, particularly for those teams playing in Europe with the accumulated exhaustion.

Taking a step back and reflecting on our December, ignoring the individual results and just looking where we sit in the table and the points we've accumulated - it's been a great month.

We're second, with not too many injury issues, suspension coming back for our next game and a much less hectic schedule for a couple of months. 

• Like 2

Wow. Didn’t see Fulham beating Arsenal today. Thought Spurs would drop points to Bournemouth. I watched the Spurs game and they were so spawny. Bournemouth should have been ahead but missed so many chances and Spurs were poor but their quality in attack showed. 

All to play for. Just need to keep doing our job! 

• Like 1

Next six then, takes us through to the end of February.

Everton (a), Newcastle (h), Sheffield Utd (a), Man Utd (h), Fulham (a), Forest (h)

I find it difficult not to look at those and think each is a game we should be looking to win. But realistically something like 14 points would be good?  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Pinebro said:

Spurs is a massive problem with their no europe distraction.

That being said I would rather be in Europe than not.

But they lose Son, Sarr and Bissouma to Asia cup and AFCON which’ll be a problem for them

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Everton (a), Newcastle (h), Sheffield Utd (a), Man Utd (h), Fulham (a), Forest (h)

I find it difficult not to look at those and think each is a game we should be looking to win. But realistically something like 14 points would be good?  

By definition, anything above 12 would be good. Obviously we won't win them all but 4 wins 1 draw and 1 loss would be an outstanding return. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yes, it's 6 games against teams 7th down to 20th, with the two highest placed teams completely out of form. 13 to 14 points would be great, and certainly doable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

But they lose Son, Sarr and Bissouma to Asia cup and AFCON which’ll be a problem for them

It's like 2 games or something? Hardly matters. Though they lost Sarr to injury in the first half today and it looked pretty bad so he'll likely be out for far longer than AFCON. 

• Like 1