Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

13 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Brighton are mostly on the beach.

anyone made that pun yet???

I sea your pun.

I am not gull-ible to fall for it. 

• Haha 2

People jumping the gun a tad here, I feel. This is by no means done. We have to win a game, and the three games we have are all really really difficult. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

People jumping the gun a tad here, I feel. This is by no means done. We have to win a game, and the three games we have are all really really difficult. 

We don't necessarily have to win a game. We could draw one and still be fine. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I choose to have faith that the team will beat Brighton as they are more than capable and will certainly want to rebound from last night. Plus Brighton aren’t good. Only thing that makes it really really difficult would be our injuries/if Emi is out.

And for Spurs. They’re in a funk, don’t care about 4th as evidenced by their managers words and Pool are still mathematically, however unlikely, in the title race and will not want to end Klopps final season on a string of bad loses.

Before i start i want to say that we are not out of the Conference league yet and i still believe.

No matter what the bookies say (because there odds are based on how many ,generally amateur punters place bets on each team winning) we were not favorites in football terms at the start of the Conference League proper There where lots of teams with an equal shot of winning it. Fiorentina, Bruges, Lille....all good sides and i could add more.

I feel like this thread (The Race for the Champions League) will become a regular each season.

Villa as a club are back in Europe and we are here to stay. Therefore we have to take last night as a lesson just like Lille was and with Unai i fully believe that we will learn from this and it will stand us in good stead for future success.

I am very disappointed about last night....but getting into the Champions League is the holy grail for clubs like us we HAVE to be in it if we want future trophies...because trophies are generally won by teams that compete in it.

Its a very dated idea that trophies come first. Did anyone think West Ham would win anything this year....or at the start of next season do you think they will be contenders.....NO they have had their day in the sun.

Its Champions Leagues qualification now will enable us to win in future seasons not a Conference League Trophy now however much fun it might be.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ben1505 said:

Football cliche 101: first goal is crucial in the second leg… if we get it, we are in the ascendancy and we can go on to win…. I’m actually more confident of us going there and having to win , than going there to defend a 1-goal lead… it’s a pity that the penalty was missed. Ideally we need Martinez, Pau, and Yuri back in the team too… maybe even Carlos too.

Agree, pen could be the crucial moment as a goal behind i think we do them and bizarrely i do think the same, we have to go there and win now so its a clear strategy rather than thinking do we hold on etc

30 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

We don't necessarily have to win a game. We could draw one and still be fine. 

We could in fact lose all 3 and still be fine ! Obviously nobody wants to go down that path though.

• Like 1

Spurs have to win at Liverpool to stand any chance imo. 3 defeats in a row hss cost them there chance. I don't think Burnley is by any means a given win. Burnley will give them a game. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Spurs have to win three games realistically. Two of those are even more difficult than we have.

Again from a few posters on here it's bizarre logic to think Spurs will get something at Liverpool....and yet they'll roll us over with no questions asked at VP.

Doesn't really make sense with how both teams are playing currently and indeed what Liverpool are doing home and away.

If we draw two of our last three and Spurs win three of the last four then they also have to make up 8 goal swing on the GD (if we both lose one game by a goal).

I think we could've done it already with 67 points. I certainly think we'll get 4th without even winning another game from the three left.

• Like 1

The first trophy is the hardest, I want us to get one as quickly as possible. 

Conference league is important 

Yes if we can tie up 4th before Thurs then it'll be the first time we go into a conf league game without any distractions and I'd expect full strength and full motivation to keep the season going

Brighton is a huge game tbh. Win and the 10 point gap with Spurs puts enormous pressure on them at Anfield, it also gives us a boost before travelling to Greece. Liverpool for their own drop in form will want revenge for the return fixture and also mathematically stay in the title race for another week at least. It's a huge weekend coming up.  

• Like 1