Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

24 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

How many Mickey Mouse cups have we managed to win in the last 28 years? How will we fare in the Champions League if we get smashed 4-2 at home to the 5th best team in Greece?

What exactly is it about Aston Villa's recent years that gives the brass neck to have that spoilt brat entitlement? What have our fans become? A couple of good seasons and look at some of us.

We have the summer to rebuild ahead for this competition 

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

How many Mickey Mouse cups have we managed to win in the last 28 years? How will we fare in the Champions League if we get smashed 4-2 at home to the 5th best team in Greece?

What exactly is it about Aston Villa's recent years that gives the brass neck to have that spoilt brat entitlement? What have our fans become? A couple of good seasons and look at some of us.

We have underachieved for a long time, we should be in or around  the top 7 most seasons. The 2010s were a very bad decade, one of the worst decades in Villa's 150 year history.

It's not 'entitled' to want us to be top 4. And why are you picking fights with other Villa fans over what constitutes success?

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 3

People need to realise that it's not CL place or conference league win. We are trying to get both, it just might not be possible. Doing badly/failing in one aim doesn't mean anything when it comes to the other aim. 

Too many people talk like it's one or the other or like there's a choice we have to make between the two. 

1 minute ago, Captain_Townsend said:

we should be in or around  the top 7 most seasons. 

It's not 'entitled' 

Oh the irony.

Football is all about moments and us winning the conference would be fantastic and I can see both sides to it. football is about winning things and we should be going all out to win the second leg and I believe we will win and get to the final, however 4th place is a huge opportunity for us as much as it is an achievement to really push on and put Villa back at the top table where they belong.

4th isn't critical but it is hugely important and we need to grab the opportunity whilst we can and get to that next level, there is a real chance that we could make the knockout rounds based on the new format if we do qualify.

15 hours ago, omariqy said:

As opposed to Pau Usain Torres?

Torres is far far better at reading the game and positioning himself when attacks start than Lenglet. Surely that's obvious from watching both over the last six months.

As said Lenglet is very weak on the turn from balls played over him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

Burnley all but confirmed to be relegated not ideal, come on Liverpool do it for Kloppo

Burnley with have to beat Tottenham to stay up so still a lot in it for them to try and win and Forest have got Chelsea so could well lose.

Final game of the season is then Burnley vs Forest.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

Burnley all but confirmed to be relegated not ideal, come on Liverpool do it for Kloppo

Can’t be relegated before they play Tottenham so once again the schedule is in our favour 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Can’t be relegated before they play Tottenham so once again the schedule is in our favour 

The mood in Burnley will be well down after today, was a must win game and Forrest winning, I really doubt they will show up at all, fingers crossed tho 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Is it possible that Forest’s appeal gets sorted this week? If they get a point back,  It could relegate Burnley cos their GD is so bad.

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

Is it possible that Forest’s appeal gets sorted this week? If they get a point back,  It could relegate Burnley cos their GD is so bad.

Chances of Forest winning the appeal are very slim though.

Posted (edited)

I just keep stopping what I'm doing, remember about Small Heath, and having a good old chuckle.

Oops wrong topic ah well, we've all had a few mate fair play.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sure ideally everyone wants to win the ECL and get top 4 , but in a world of FFP where its known we have incurred high recent loss's then yeah the CL is the pragmatic priority. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Ah, I read somewhere they were confident of getting a point back.

How would they know this?

4 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

I understand where you are coming from, but winning trophies without the financial muscle to compete at the top is pointless. Has winning the ECL helped West ham kick on, or Sevilla after winning the EL 3 years on the trot?! Winning a minor trophy is good for fans to celebrate, but has little effect on progressing the club long term.

Competing for titles and major trophies is the end game and the only way to do that is to increase revenue exponentially through the CL.

Yet Sevilla have won more trophies in the last decade than Spurs, United, Arsenal and tied with Liverpool who are these supposed football Champions League giants competing for major trophies

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I thought we all wanted Villa to grow as a club. Not just win a cup and then decline again. 

I get why some fans prefer a trophy but the way some are belittling fans that would rather want the club to get top 4 and are thinking longer term is getting a bit tiring. 

Each to their own. Why does it bother people so much what other fans want?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, villa89 said:

People need to realise that it's not CL place or conference league win. We are trying to get both, it just might not be possible. Doing badly/failing in one aim doesn't mean anything when it comes to the other aim. 

Too many people talk like it's one or the other or like there's a choice we have to make between the two. 

This is the part I find the funniest about some of the shit I’m reading. It’s not like we fielded a completely different first 11 on Thursday. Goalie was enforced and we changed one defender !