Ratings & Reactions: Wolves v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/05/23 at 22:59

Just now, CVByrne said:

Kinda has. Wish we could have got to the final week with some hope

We still might man, that's disappointing as a result. we did enough to score and probably score more than 1 too. We've played better for sure under Emery, we've had injuries which has meant we had to stick with the same 11 pretty much when we could have done with freshening things up. We've done incredibly well to get where we are.

• Like 2

Wolves with the archetypal hit and run there!

Thats the first game in ages i felt we should have won but the luck went against us.

Thought Wolves were poor but you can see their manager has got them organised, and once they scored that goal they were just going to sit back and kill the game.

We did well but you can see where the big money needs to be spent next year, these wont be the only team to park the bus next season and we will need to learn to break these tactics.

Bah. One of the most frustrating games I’ve watched in ages. Could’ve played all night and not scored. We weren’t bad but lacked composure and a decent bounce in and around the box. Had enough chances to win comfortably. 

I had a feeling that the levels needed for the Newcastle performance might make us feel a bit flat afterwards. 

• Like 1

Just now, Indigo said:

You guys blaming the officiating would be going mad if that "handball" had been given against us. It's clutching at straws and shouldnt have mattered had some big chances not been missed but these games happen.

Isn’t that one of the reasons people are blaming the officials? 🙃

The first poor I've given Emery. I know he sees the players in training and will have a better idea who is best placed to come on when, but felt he left everything a bit too late with the changes. Duran should have been on earlier. We have nothing else so his options are pretty limited, so probably harsh, but felt he could have tried more.

That said, the loss was almost entirely on the ref. Either totally useless or totally corrupt. 3 minutes of injury time tells me it was corruption. 

They don't want us in Europe. Must be upsetting the powers that be by calling out state ownership. 

Edited by MrBlack

Don’t want to blame the ref, but that was a genuinely “Very poor” performance from start to finish. Played into their tactics of just fouling us any time we broke into space. Pussy. And then only 3 mins at the end?

Classic performance from a ref who knows nobody’s really watching on telly and just wants to avoid any major incidents in the highlights. Should be sacked for that.

• Like 1

Ultimately, Brighton deserve it more than we do. We wasted a 1/3 of the season on the Liverpudlian fraud.

The past few games really show we need players who can break down teams that sit back.

Edited by His Name Is Death
  • Like 3

Well Emery got it wrong today. Dendonker would have given us more presence on set pieces. Traore was poor. Buendia wasted all his good work with poor passes and crosses, and overplayed at time. Moreno got little joy. Watkins missed the easiest chance of the game, and Wolve.scored with their only meaningful attack. 

It was just one of those days!

They did to us what we did to a number of teams like Brighton for example. 

• Like 2

Short term pain for long term gain. Just in case anyone was thinking these players are good enough to where Emery and the owners want to go and we didn't need major surgery in the summer. Emery has worked wonders with these players, but he is not Jesus. He will have a very clear idea where we need changes to take us to the next level, roll on the summer.

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

You guys blaming the officiating would be going mad if that "handball" had been given against us. It's clutching at straws and shouldnt have mattered had some big chances not been missed but these games happen.

Even if you take the handball moment out of it, the refereeing was still shocking. Almost every 1 on 1 in which a Wolves player went to ground was given, but barely ever the other way around.

• Like 1

Just now, MrBlack said:

The first poor I've given Emery. I know he sees the players in training and will have a better idea who is best placed to come on when, but felt he left everything a bit too late with the changes. Duran should have been on earlier. We have nothing else so his options are pretty limited, but felt he could have tried more.

That said, the loss was almost entirely on the ref. Either totally useless or totally corrupt. 3 minutes of injury time tells me it was corruption. 

They don't want us on Europe. Must be upsetting the powers that be by calling out state ownership. 

He switched Traore off for Bailey at halftime.

When things were going well, we won a couple matches where we probably deserved no more than a draw. Today, we lost a match where we deserved a draw. Luck evens out over time. No matter, a draw would not have been enough. We really needed to win this one. When you're near the bottom of the table, a draw is a valuable point. When you're chasing Europe, a draw may as well be a loss.

Wolves were able to sit back after the early goal and they defend better than their record suggests. We still struggle against a packed defense. I think that we showed some improvement in this sense today and created some good chances. None of them fell to Ollie and we just couldn't finish. I would have felt better about this bit of improvement if it had been 2 or 3 games into Unai's reign. When you're chasing Europe, it felt disappointing. We still have a ways to go before we're truly a top side.

MOTM for me was between Buendia, who was at the heart of almost everything good we did, and Mings, who was solid in back and occasionally played Mingsenbauer in attack. I voted for Buendia but could have gone either way.

Europa League is looking unlikely. Maybe, maybe we can still make the Conference...

Reflecting on the game, I think I like Mings, Carlos and Konsa together with Moreno/Digne left. I can see that working out. Our major weakness is the wide player, neither Bailey nor Bertie were great today. Buendia was good up to a point, but finished poorly a few times and fluffed the key pass a few times. 

We still look an infinitely better team than a few months ago and I'd back us to continue improving. All is good long term even though this result is deflating.

• Thanks 1

Started the game with a good tempo, but switched off for the goal. Finishing cost us today, only quality save Sa made was from Buendia. We tried to be expansive, but couldn't break them down and often over complicated things. Wolves fouled and fouled to disrupt our pressure and it worked. They sat back even deeper and we didn't have a reply.

Very few come out of the game with much credit. A big missed opportunity and I'm sure Unai is telling that. Too many mentally fragile players still. That will change come the summer. Unai is a winner and we need winners in this squad.

Â