Ratings & Reactions: Wolves v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/05/23 at 22:59

Just now, KMitch said:

That was not on Emery...  We dominated the first half and still created plenty of opportunities in the 2nd after they parked the bus, but the players didn't show up and finish.  Way too much standing around and ball watching.  

Look, I love the man, but if he gets it wrong I'll say, and today he got it wrong. And it on him as he is the manager and the buck stops with him. That's why he is paid shitloads to do that. As win lose or draw it's on him. But don't you worry, there's a few on that pitch I'm more peeved at who I'll be amazed are still here next season.

And someone please tell this lot what a derby game means!?

1 minute ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Cant wait until the summer when we can finally upgrade the bailey/traore position. Its holding us back.

its more than that holding us back, but I agree its a major issue.

It needs to be a really meaningful summer.

Deflated today!  

At least I can sit and relax more for the final three games without working out computations on getting Europe.  

Still a chance of course but we look like needing the summer now despite being the better team today, we just lack ideas and a spark going forwards.

Just finish 8th at least and it will have been a remarkable turn around by Emery, anything more is a bonus now.

As for the game…

Ref was awful

Moreno, Ollie, Young, Ramsey were poor

Traore and Bailey were awful

Buendia was trying hard but nothing came off and looked bad in some instances

Thought Dougie did ok.

Martinez had a nice few blocks.

Great to see Carlos back after long stretch out, and Kamara back.

I shouldn’t be disappointed but I am tonight but I’ll be happy tomorrow reflecting on the come back this season and the bright future.

• Like 3

Simple can't win against wolves not good enough to play in Europe sugar coat it how you like. The last 3 games we started them all poorly and really showed lack of urgency and intensity lack of ideas at times.

I reckon a few of our big name players also went missing with the pressure on to get in Europe didn't show up.

Edited by ozvilla28

1 minute ago, Villatillidie95 said:

very mature of you adw95, why dont you not comment instead or offer something useful

If you had said something worthwhile I may not have felt the need to comment.

I'm sure DC having an interaction with his ex-boss was very troubling for you, but it's not an issue.

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Buendia was poor today, everywhere, but nowhere where it mattered. 

He really wasnt!

He was the only person with the imagination to break the lines of Lopetegui's well organised defence.

He scared the hell out of them for the first hour before he started to lose it emotionally.

When he went off we had nothing.

I thought that was one of his best games for us.

• Like 2

I would also like to say, well done Wolverhampton Wanderers, they know how to win one-nil. It's dire, but effective.

We would have won that game with more urgency shown by better attacking players.

We don't have them yet, so well played Wolves, they did what they had to and you have to admire that.

Memo to self: You have been watching Villa for long enough to know they always falter when the pressure is on and they do not have enough self belief to win the really important matches.Of course they were going to follow up that superb performance against Newcastle with a series of increasingly patchy games and of course they were always going to fall at the final hurdles. No manager has been able to overcome this tendency since Ron Saunders so how silly of you to believe that Emery could.

No European football for us next season and it will probably be a mediocre season with Unai departing before December. ☹️

• Haha 1

I would also like to say, well done Wolverhampton Wanderers, they know how to win one-nil. It's dire, but effective.

We would have won that game with more urgency shown by better attacking players.

We don't have them yet, so well played Wolves, they did what they had to and you have to admire that.

Another year of development under Emery and we will be far better equipped to deal with European competition. The impact of it next season could be very damaging for our league form and we end up with a mediocre European experience and a shitty league position meaning no Europe the next season. West Ham are a very good example of this. With a little patience we have a very bright future.

• Like 1

68 minutes and 40 seconds

That was our 1st press in the entire game, we got the ball back and then had an attack.

It wasn't rocket science and that falls on emery I'm afraid.

Said it a few times now, check for yourselves. Ramseys levels drop off massively at the end of each season.

Again today was lack luster 

Mentioned this too, and again check out the dates.

Watkins interviewed and goes and tells the world how emery has made him into a dangerous striker. And since everyone now knows exactly how he will play ? He's done nothing because everyone and their dog knows he now won't run, won't challenge and won't move from the middle. 

Brilliant 🤦🤦🤦

The stats may say we had the ball and chances but they were the ones who looked like scoring, not us.

Traore given a chance and was poor

Bailey given a chance and does one or 2 nice things and follows it up with repeatedly giving ghe ball away.

Watkins looks lazy, uninterested in doing any kind of work that doesn't involve having the ball played to him ( from being the one who would win the ball high up to literally 30 foot from it at all times)

Moreno, feel sorry for him as again, not until young went off in the 65th minute, was he played the ball to advance onto.

Either use his pace or use digne, one or the other.

That's now our season over, exciting it was and a massive improvement over the disgusting scouse shower, however we had a great chance of getting Europe yet bizarrely after our best performance of the season v Newcastle we have played with the energy of the asthmatic ward at the QE hospital, stopped doing things that got us up the league and look like we are trudging through mud with lead in our boots most of the time ( or slipping/ falling over).

I would be benching Ramsey telling Watkins that he does actually need to move when he doesn't have the ball and the entire team to press. What's the point in a high line when you don't press ? It just gives them more time to pick the long ball as seen in every game since Newcastle.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stewiek2 said:

And someone please tell this lot what a derby game means!?

It's not a real derby though is it? If WBA or Blues weren't utter shit and were in the same division as us then it wouldn't even register as one

Frustrating game, clearly the better side for the majority of it, one set piece undone us and we’ve been poor with defending set pieces all season. Wasteful when we did get opportunities, Mings, Watkins and Buendia will probably feel they should have scored today. Not too much wrong with the performance or tactics, just didn’t go for us today including the possible penalty late in the first half.

I think it just shows the fine margins of this league. We were obviously on cloud nine with the unbeaten run, but some of them much like this game were tight - in fact we were probably more deserving of a win here on the balance of chances than some of the wins - and went for us when this one hasn't. It's how it goes when you're in that in between area of the league outside of the best and worst sides.

You'd expect much the same next week against Spurs, a win there and who knows. Still been an unbelievable time under Emery.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, adw95 said:

If you had said something worthwhile I may not have felt the need to comment.

I'm sure DC having an interaction with his ex-boss was very troubling for you, but it's not an issue.

Just move on, I have a different opinion than you and its fine. I'm not interested in hearing why you are so right and I am so wrong

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, picicata said:

It's not a real derby though is it? If WBA or Blues weren't utter shit and were in the same division as us then it wouldn't even register as one

Its a closer derby than even some of the so-called London ones are

Â