Ratings & Reactions: Wolves v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/05/23 at 22:59

4 hours ago, Pinebro said:

I can't remember their keeper having to make too many saves.

This so called domination imo is overrated.

It was quite a boring game with very little chances.

He didn't.

I accept that teams will do, what Wolves did......We do it sometimes, against Spurs we did a bit of defending deep......and I accept, its hard to break down, particulalry, when our creative play is questionable....we have not got the the players the top 4 have to address that.

What narks me the most, is players getting knocked off the ball so easy and offering little effort to retrieve it.....thats passive, and shouldn't happen in a local Derby....It didn't happen against Newcastle, so why has it crept back in to the last 4 matches?

Is there any wonder we can't create anything, when we keep getting caught on the ball and losing it?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

He didn't.

I accept that teams will do, what Wolves did......We do it sometimes, against Spurs we did a bit of defending deep......and I accept, its hard to break down, particulalry, when our creative play is questionable....we have not got the the players the top 4 have to address that.

What narks me the most, is players getting knocked off the ball so easy and offering little effort to retrieve it.....thats passive, and shouldn't happen in a local Derby....It didn't happen against Newcastle, so why has it crept back in in the last 4 matches?

Is there any wonder we can't create anything, when we keep getting caught on the ball and losing it?

I think it's more of a derby for Wolves than it is for us.

Can only speak for myself here but I pay very little attention to Wolverhampton.

7 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Can only speak for myself here but I pay very little attention to Wolverhampton.

Thats like saying, "They hate us, but we don't hate them"....which is fine, but thats bordering on passive.

Thats ok for bottom half or midtable teams.....Europe, you need the aggression to go with the skill set.....We cannot get Europe, tootling along in games.

Personally, I want Villa to win, every game....and that means looking for a spirited attempt in every game.

I know, we can't win every game, but we can try.......

Many of us, thought, we would not get much out of that game.....and there is a reason, why we thought that......its just openly admitting it.

Just now, TRO said:

Thats like saying, "They hate us, but we don't hate them"....which is fine, but thats bordering on passive.

Thats ok for bottom half or midtable teams.....Europe, you need the aggression to go with the skill set.....We cannot get Europe, tootling along in games.

Personally, I want Villa to win, every game....and that means looking for a spirited attempt in every game.

I know, we can't win every game, but we can try.......

Many of us, thought, we would not get much out of that game.....and there is a reason, why we thought that......its just openly admitting it.

We just have a midtable culture deeply enroothed within the walls of the club.

It will be Emery's biggest challenge to change.

Born in the early 90's it's been this was as long as I can remember.

Not only players and staff but I feel Villa Park is a little too passive too.

Watching Newcastle against Arsenal they were extremely hostile. Whenever Arsenal had the ball it was loud boos going around. I want us to be more like that. More hostile and aggressive. Not aggression in a bad way, but just create more of an hostile environment for the oppostion. It will rub off to the players.

Not sure if it's just me but we just feel too nice as a club.

21 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

We just have a midtable culture deeply enroothed within the walls of the club.

It will be Emery's biggest challenge to change.

Born in the early 90's it's been this was as long as I can remember.

Not only players and staff but I feel Villa Park is a little too passive too.

Watching Newcastle against Arsenal they were extremely hostile. Whenever Arsenal had the ball it was loud boos going around. I want us to be more like that. More hostile and aggressive. Not aggression in a bad way, but just create more of an hostile environment for the oppostion. It will rub off to the players.

Not sure if it's just me but we just feel too nice as a club.

Its not just you.....I agree totally.

I was privately embarrassed, with envy,  watching the level of aggression ( determination, not thuggery) employed in that game compared to ours....both Arsenal and Newcastle went at it hammer and tongues.....in contrast our game was played with minimum contact, until we entered the final third, and got out muscled.....much of our possession was away from the Wolves players.....and what bit we did, we lost the ball too easily.....How can you create, when you can't stay on the ball?

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I was privately embarrassed, watching the level of aggression ( determination, not thuggery) employed in that game compared to ours....both arsenal and Newcastle went at it hammer and tongues.....in contrast our game was played with minimum contact, until we entered the final third, and got out muscled.....much of our possession was away from the Wolves players.

Yeah but I don't just mean the players. I mean the whole club.

Fans, players and staff.

As fans we have a big role to play when it comes to the mentality of the club.

• Like 1

Just now, Pinebro said:

Yeah but I don't just mean the players. I mean the whole club.

Fans, players and staff.

As fans we have a big role to play when it comes to the mentality of the club.

I agree with that too.....I think years of mediocrity, has embedded itself in to some folk.

If you watch the UTV podcast after the game, Luke Robinson, was seething, he mirrored how I felt, and it wasn't just losing, it was the manner, and some players played a big part in it.

Years of poor decision making by the club, has landed us here.....and it takes years to change. I still think we could have done better with recruitment like Brighton, Brentford, Fulham and to some degree, Newcastle have done.....Wolves have done ok too imo

We have it all to do.....We have an Elite Manager, I think we all agree on that, but he is not a miracle worker, and recent games have shown that.

He must now find players to move us up that level, and cruise in to Europe, and not have to strain every sinew to do it....fingers crossed.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Pinebro said:

spacer.png

Apart from me, I think they're words removed.

22 hours ago, TRO said:

I was privately embarrassed, with envy,  watching the level of aggression ( determination, not thuggery) employed in that game compared to ours....both Arsenal and Newcastle went at it hammer and tongues.....in contrast our game was played with minimum contact, until we entered the final third, and got out muscled.....much of our possession was away from the Wolves players.....and what bit we did, we lost the ball too easily.....How can you create, when you can't stay on the ball?

In fairness, if we went in blood and thunder, and as a result some of our players got injured, we could be playing Derek the team bus driver as a holding midfielder by next week. 

I jest, but the serious point is that we are needing to somehow get through the next few games without injury. I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the players have been told to look after themselves. 

Perhaps that's why in the Derby game, which are unusually feisty affairs, we struggled a bit. 

Or maybe not. Just speculating.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HKP90 said:

In fairness, if we went in blood and thunder, and as a result some of our players got injured, we could be playing Derek the team bus driver as a holding midfielder by next week. 

I jest, but the serious point is that we are needing to somehow get through the next few games without injury. I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the players have been told to look after themselves. 

Perhaps that's why in the Derby game, which are unusually feisty affairs, we struggled a bit. 

Or maybe not. Just speculating.  

certainly, feasible..I appreciate your thoughts.

I thought we went in Blood and thunder against Newcastle, so we are capable.....maybe the games are just catching up on our thin squad, and we just can't sustain that level of intensity.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

certainly, feasible..I appreciate your thoughts.

I thought we went in Blood and thunder against Newcastle, so we are capable.....maybe the games are just catching up on our thin squad, and we just can't sustain that level of intensity.

Also a possibility.

• Thanks 1

On 06/05/2023 at 17:11, Noel said:

I've followed Villa for 60 years and Bailey is the worst player I have ever seen play for us.

I mean, you saw Steve Sims, Malcolm Allen and Bernard Gallagher then?

Need to get your memory checked out 

• Like 1

On 06/05/2023 at 17:12, stewiek2 said:

Steve Hodge, Bernie Gallagher and Ian Callaghan say hi 

37 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I mean, you saw Steve Sims, Malcolm Allen and Bernard Gallagher then?

Need to get your memory checked out 

relatable-ifeelthat.gif

Â