What Instantly Ruins A Burger?

Rds1983

What Instantly Ruins A Burger?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Have just popped into a local pub for lunch and finished an absolutely delicious burger. However, it was instantly ruined for me by being ridiculously tall making it difficult and messy to eat and resulting in toppings and burger sliding out onto the plate. I've always felt a burger should be wider than it is tall and this seems to be a common issue nowadays and got me wondering what else ruins a burger for people? Apart from this I also not fond of the brioche bun trend as feel a burger should be savoury and not sweet.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/03/23 at 17:00

Jesus. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. The guy who called it a sandwich, the OP?, is right though. That's the idea. A slice of tomato is OK. Definitely no damn lettuce. This is correct. And if you ask for ketchup, you will suffer abuse if there is any justice in this world.

spacer.png

The beginnings of the hamburger sandwich as we all know it today was really quite simple. One day in 1900, a gentleman hurriedly walked into Louis’ Lunch and told proprietor Louis Lassen he was in a rush and wanted something he could eat on the run. In an instant, Louis placed his own blend of ground steak trimmings between two slices of toast and sent the gentleman on his way. And so, the most recognizable American sandwich was born.

All that said, I admittedly enjoy wrong all the time. Still, I like a very stripped down classic with salty burgers and lots of mustard and raw onion -- and nothing else. Here's my favorite place for a burger on earth: They come in boxes here.

spacer.png

The first Hamburger Station opened on Main Street in downtown Akron in 1975 but the hamburger it serves has roots all the way back to 1916. As fate would have it, a 14-year-old, Jim Lowe found his way to Akron, Ohio after running away from his home in Nashville, Tennessee. With Jim Down to his last nickel, “Old Man” Thacker took the young boy in and gave him a job.  So, it was natural he would grow up loving hamburgers. With all his history in hamburgers, Jim Lowe got together with the Michaels family (Andy, John, and Art) and opened the first Hamburger Station. Hamburger Station burgers are lean fresh beef served with pickles, fresh onions, and mustard (Ketchup is for your fries) on fresh baked buns. The fries are fresh cut by hand right on the premise. Onion rings are fresh onions “popped” and hand breaded. You will want to order more than just one Hamburger Station burger. To accommodate you, Hamburger Station has burgers available by the speed pack, the 6-pack, 12-pack, or the family pack (12 burgers, 3 fries and 2 onion rings). Jim Lowe may have passed away but his love of hamburgers and his ideal of serving a unique fresh hamburger to please his customers lives on in the Michaels family. Come and enjoy the experience of Hamburger Station!

And I confess, I loved all the strange things I saw English people do with burgers in old blighty. I especially love the English burgers where you don't get 100% beef but lots cereal fillers that actually taste really good. It doesn't make sense, but what does? 

Edited by Marka Ragnos

8 hours ago, bobzy said:

BK gets it right with this:

Bacon Double Cheese XL - Burger King

No tomatoes soaking the bread.  No mayo or burger sauce just going everywhere.  Bread, meat, cheese.  Done.

Edit:  I guess that's a bit off topic so... the things mentioned are the things that ruin a burger.

it is the best burger on the market...once you customise to add the additional patty. and some mayo.

7 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I am a liberal minded guy, I have dabbled, but I just don't think chicken should be anywhere near a burger.  It ends up being too dry, or you have to batter it which makes having bread just extra unnecessary carbs.

Try the zinger tower (chicken) burger from KFC. Fantastic and not dry at all.

• Like 1

My friend's sister's boyfriend (I know, convoluted) runs a burger shop where I live.

You can order his burgers on Deliveroo, Uber Eats, etc.

Anyway last year I had a few beers and went full bickster and offered him some advice.

I said all your burgers are double patty, and you should do at least one option where it's just a normal burger at a lower price.

He was very offended (understandably tbf, what do I know) and said he'd done his market research, and all the burger places in the area only did double patties.

But I still think I'm right.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fruitvilla said:

Partly in jest  ... McDonald's

They do, they've gone to shit and they weren't in a great starting position, even the big tasty isn't that good anymore 

This while freshly made thing seems to have made them worse 

Not a lot for me. At Five Guys I have their burger all the way with relish. 

If I had to say one specific topping which I have had, and thought it could have done without, it'd be chilli con carne. 

Surprised at the positive comments for Burger King on here? On the few times I’ve tried them, I’ve found their burgers to pretty mediocre, cold and most probably microwaved. In addition, the hygiene levels in Burger King establishments leave a lot to be desired. Just my experience and opinion of course. KFC establishments seem even worse.

Edited by ferguson1

Â