What Instantly Ruins A Burger?

Rds1983

What Instantly Ruins A Burger?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Have just popped into a local pub for lunch and finished an absolutely delicious burger. However, it was instantly ruined for me by being ridiculously tall making it difficult and messy to eat and resulting in toppings and burger sliding out onto the plate. I've always felt a burger should be wider than it is tall and this seems to be a common issue nowadays and got me wondering what else ruins a burger for people? Apart from this I also not fond of the brioche bun trend as feel a burger should be savoury and not sweet.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/03/23 at 17:00

Just now, Davkaus said:

I am vegan, and if the veggie burger option is a massive **** mushroom, I'd rather take a shit on a plate.

Horses for courses. I love them. Wouldn't advise dumping on the plate though, cause a heck of a mess.

• Haha 1

Gherkin, too much raw onion (I don't mind fried onion) and too much mayo.  I can't stand mayo but I'll put up with a slither if required and if other flavours mask the taste.

I might be sampling one of these next weekend (Hanbao). 

I can't stand a soggy burger, normally due to the salad. I can appreciate salad in a burger it just depends on what they've put in (keep rocket out of burgers please). I'm not fussy about the bun as long as it's nice. I LOVE cheese, but it has to be the right cheese... I went to a place called Hache a couple of years ago and they gave me a steak cheeseburger with Roquefort cheese. Normally I can eat really strong cheeses (by themselves or with some cured meats), but that cheese ruined the whole burger for me.

In regards to the sauce, it depends on what meat is in the burger in my opinion. If I'm getting a chicken burger, I always opt for a type of mayo like spicy mayo. I do enjoy BBQ, but I'm not fond of it in my burgers.

A huge NO for any mac and cheese in my burger, first I hate runny mac and cheese and second I think it belongs as a side dish only.

10 minutes ago, Milfner said:

A soggy bun is a burger ruiner. Usually from a sweaty patty or soaking wet salad

Bun should be lightly toasted, I won't tell you how I do that as vegans might explode ;) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Lettuce, tomato or any salad prouct. A burger is a sandwich and salad ruins any sandwich

For the sake of doubt, onions are fine

At home my current preference is Brioche Bun, quality burger done in the air fryer (absolutely the best way to cook burgers), BBQ sauce, slice of Ementhal. Job done

I can back you up by saying, burgers in the air fryer come out amazing. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Bun should be lightly toasted, I won't tell you how I do that as vegans might explode ;) 

You're saving vegans now?

• Haha 1

I am a liberal minded guy, I have dabbled, but I just don't think chicken should be anywhere near a burger.  It ends up being too dry, or you have to batter it which makes having bread just extra unnecessary carbs. For a good burger, less is more. Well-toasted buns (Kenneth) at least a quarter-pounder beef patty. Some green stuff is allowed along with a thin amount of tomato. Melted cheese is optional. Anything more than bacon is just frilly. Pulled pork in a burger is a modern abomination. Wet soggy meat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

This obsession with double patties has ruined burgers for me. Just make a normal burger ffs and call it a “hamburger” or a “cheeseburger” not the Elvis Notorious BIG Piggy Wiggy Kiwi Double Dirty

Nah I'll happily double up if the sides look shit 

And I don't mind them going crazy either, can't remember the last time I just had a plain burger, I'm guessing restaurants need it to be extravagant for business purposes, both in terms of sales and margins

Â