Pre Match Thread

maqroll

49 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

, he might be a bit more conservative and focused on us trying to control the game

That's harder without Kamara though, trying to boss possession away at their place will be tricky but Luiz and Kamara together have been incredibly good at keeping the ball ticking over for us.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, romavillan said:

That's harder without Kamara though, trying to boss possession away at their place will be tricky but Luiz and Kamara together have been incredibly good at keeping the ball ticking over for us.

yeah i think it will be more challenging, hopefully Donk can step in and do a job for us. Kamara is such an important player for us though, shame he is expected to be out for the next 5. I still believe we are good enough to get 3 points without him

My data.
1  Kamara is out.   

2. I’m still optimistic 

I think we’ll score twice, but both in ways that don’t rely on a buildup through the center midfield.   

by that I mean a penalty OR a sloppy turnover by west ham high up the field.  OR  a  free kick.  OR Corner.  

Kamara is out yet we're remarkable away from home. But Hammers might have turned a bit of a corner. So this one is a draw. I actually think it's a loss. This is me being optimistic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Never look forward to coming up against West Ham, and despite the awful loss vs Brighton they've not been as bad as the league table would suggest this season. In terms of a lot of the numbers they've been performing like a mid-table side and just not getting the results, usually you'd expect this to balance out over the season but the potential plus point for us is that things seem to be souring a bit there with last weekend's performance, pressure on Moyes, the likes of Rice getting chippy in the media etc.

I get the impression Moyes has a ceiling in terms of the type of players he can work with. He gets the best out of the likes of Antonio, Soucek and so forth but has looked lost when the club tried to level up by bringing in what are perceived to be more gifted players like Paqueta, and they've lost a bit of what made them so effective.

Hopefully all that plays into Villa's favour, it's a different side under Emery and the away results have been excellent as well so there's plenty more reason to be optimistic than usual when travelling there. Kamara is a huge loss obvious but fingers crossed Dendoncker is fit as it's actually the kind of game you'd imagine he'll be able to deputise in quite well.

• Like 1

Have a bad feeling about this one. Its a must win game for them and they are bound to get a reaction after that display against Brighton. Kamara not playing too is a huge loss. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Indigo said:

Never look forward to coming up against West Ham, and despite the awful loss vs Brighton they've not been as bad as the league table would suggest this season. In terms of a lot of the numbers they've been performing like a mid-table side and just not getting the results, usually you'd expect this to balance out over the season but the potential plus point for us is that things seem to be souring a bit there with last weekend's performance, pressure on Moyes, the likes of Rice getting chippy in the media etc.

I get the impression Moyes has a ceiling in terms of the type of players he can work with. He gets the best out of the likes of Antonio, Soucek and so forth but has looked lost when the club tried to level up by bringing in what are perceived to be more gifted players like Paqueta, and they've lost a bit of what made them so effective.

Hopefully all that plays into Villa's favour, it's a different side under Emery and the away results have been excellent as well so there's plenty more reason to be optimistic than usual when travelling there. Kamara is a huge loss obvious but fingers crossed Dendoncker is fit as it's actually the kind of game you'd imagine he'll be able to deputise in quite well.

its all about us and what we do or don't do.

• Like 2

If Dendonker is injured i'd be tempted to move Mcginn back into the middle, play Buendia on the right of midfield and go with Bailey up top with Watkins. 

Absolutely not an ideal situation but i'd have more faith in that setup than playing Chambers in the middle. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Return of the Danny

Oh… I’d forgotten, of course Ings will score (I still don’t think we should’ve sold him) but hopefully we can score more than them! 😬 

Edited by alreadyexists

On the radio last night: "West Ham away in Cyprus tonight, that's gotta be good for Villa".

Is it ****. Check back how many times we have won against a team that's had a midweek Euro tie. I bet it's nearer to zero than ten.

And of course Ings didn't even come off the bench so he will definitely start on Sunday.

• Like 1

Great win again last weekend against our closest rival to secure a minimum eleventh spot. Hopefully we can go a place or two higher but it’s going to be tough. However, another win on Sunday and it keeps the pressure on the teams above us.

Have to say, I really don’t like West Ham as a club, horrible fans, horrible people running the place etc and I always take great pleasure when we beat them. Would happily like to see them drop. 

Kamara being out is a big blow and with Dendoncker unlikely to feature, it’s probably Chambers in the holding role alongside Luiz, unless we shuffle the midfield around some more? I don’t think Emery will though and it’ll be a like for like swap. We’re going to be a little light on the bench for this one I’m afraid.

Martinez

Cash       Konsa             Mings        Moreno

Chambers         Luiz

McGinn                       Ramsey

Buendia       

Watkins

Subs:  Olsen, Young, Digne, Feeney, Swinkels, Raikhy, Traore, Bailey, Duran 

I’m totally guessing with the bench but perhaps Dendoncker will feature after all, which will help. I’m still pretty confident that we can get a positive result here and keep our excellent away form going. Going to say a 1-2 win with Watkins and McGinn grabbing the goals and let Ings have a consolation goal in the 94th minute. UTV

14 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

On the radio last night: "West Ham away in Cyprus tonight, that's gotta be good for Villa".

Is it ****. Check back how many times we have won against a team that's had a midweek Euro tie. I bet it's nearer to zero than ten.

And of course Ings didn't even come off the bench so he will definitely start on Sunday.

Their squad is good, look at the 5 who came off the bench last night. Its a chance for Emery to once again produce a good away performance, though I dont like our chances without Kamara. Be amazing to get a result here going into Bournemouth 

Would deffo put McGinn in for Kamara - not perfect solution but he's been flying lately and this team needs to keep its confidence going, we should be starting with players who have been a major part of our good form, over the likes of Dendoncker or Chambers. Then all it takes is McGinn's replacement to have a good game and there's no reason why we can't smash this lot. 

13 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Would deffo put McGinn in for Kamara - not perfect solution but he's been flying lately and this team needs to keep its confidence going, we should be starting with players who have been a major part of our good form, over the likes of Dendoncker or Chambers. Then all it takes is McGinn's replacement to have a good game and there's no reason why we can't smash this lot. 

Who would you have in replacing McGinn?

I'd stick with McGinn and Ramsey in the advanced, wider roles and have either Luiz and Dendoncker or Luiz and Young behind them - I prefer both of those to Chambers.

I'd stick with Buendia off Watkins and Bailey on the bench. 

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Who would you have in replacing McGinn?

I'd stick with McGinn and Ramsey in the advanced, wider roles and have either Luiz and Dendoncker or Luiz and Young behind them - I prefer both of those to Chambers.

I'd stick with Buendia off Watkins and Bailey on the bench. 

I think Buendia for McGinn, and then it's got to be Bailey - not cos he's great but cos it's about as good as we've got. 

• Like 2