Pre Match Thread

maqroll

Not got a good feeling about this game. On form Villa should be winning this game but I got a feeling this is gonna be a repeat of the game a couple of years ago where we pretty much battered them and still lost with a missed pen and tight VAR offside call.

Probably thinking this because Kamara is out injured and I don’t rate Chambers (most likely) to come in and do a good enough job so midfield will be a weakness compared to there’s. 

These are like what we are to Everton, just can’t beat them. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

I think Buendia for McGinn, and then it's got to be Bailey - not cos he's great but cos it's about as good as we've got. 

That's changing up the formation though - I'm really unsure of Buendia in a deeper role with more responsibility positional and defensively - it's often a CM who can do a bit of everything, that's why it works with McGinn and Ramsey - for me I think Buendia has to stay as an attacking option.

3 hours ago, rjw63 said:

On the radio last night: "West Ham away in Cyprus tonight, that's gotta be good for Villa".

Is it ****. Check back how many times we have won against a team that's had a midweek Euro tie. I bet it's nearer to zero than ten.

And of course Ings didn't even come off the bench so he will definitely start on Sunday.

I get that.

its rest v keeping your eye in.....i.e match fitness.

sometimes teams get too much rest, and become lethargic( mentally)....its anyones guess, which is best.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Looks like Dendoncker isn't going to make it. 

We're hugely limited for midfield options having sent Nakamba and Sanson out on loan (and Iroegbunam and Bogarde).

I'd go for Young, I think it'll be Chambers - I do wonder if we might consider changing the shape though.

----------------------------Martinez-------------------------

---------Chambers---Konsa-----MIngs-------------

Cash----------------------Luiz---------------------Digne

------------McGinn----------------Ramsey--------------

------Buendia---------Watkins----------------------------

Could work I guess?

I think against anyone else, Young would be the easy choice, but given West Ham's physicality, I think maybe Chambers in the middle will be the option.

So:

-------------------------Martinez---------------------------

Cash----------Konsa-----MIngs-------------Digne

----------------Chambers-----Luiz------------------------

--------McGinn--------------------Ramsey---------------

Our bench might need three keepers this week.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

I get that.

its rest v keeping your eye in.....i.e match fitness.

sometimes teams get too much rest, and become lethargic....its anyones guess, which is best.

Yes I thought that about Arsenal but that didnt work out. 

19 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Looks like Dendoncker isn't going to make it. 

We're hugely limited for midfield options having sent Nakamba and Sanson out on loan (and Iroegbunam and Bogarde).

I'd go for Young, I think it'll be Chambers - I do wonder if we might consider changing the shape though.

----------------------------Martinez-------------------------

---------Chambers---Konsa-----MIngs-------------

Cash----------------------Luiz---------------------Digne

------------McGinn----------------Ramsey--------------

Could work I guess?

I think against anyone else, Young would be the easy choice, but given West Ham's physicality, I think maybe Chambers in the middle will be the option.

So:

-------------------------Martinez---------------------------

Cash----------Konsa-----MIngs-------------Digne

----------------Chambers-----Luiz------------------------

--------McGinn--------------------Ramsey---------------

Our bench might need three keepers this week.

to bring on together?😃

Edited by TRO

25 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

That's changing up the formation though - I'm really unsure of Buendia in a deeper role with more responsibility positional and defensively - it's often a CM who can do a bit of everything, that's why it works with McGinn and Ramsey - for me I think Buendia has to stay as an attacking option.

I'm just desperate to keep Chambers and Dendonker out of the team, unless absolutely impossible not to. Honestly think either of them will screw us somehow and that'll be worse than setting up without them. 

I suppose we could play Cash in midfield and bring Young in at right back?

Bench at the moment would I guess be:

Olsen, Young, Moreno, Bailey, Duran, Traore and erm...Swinkels? Feeney? Sinisalo?

We could have two keepers and a space on the bench.

Just now, Jareth said:

I'm just desperate to keep Chambers and Dendonker out of the team, unless absolutely impossible not to. Honestly think either of them will screw us somehow and that'll be worse than setting up without them. 

Dendoncker looks unlikely to be fit.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Just to keep the proper subs warm.

I've been thinking about this. Could we not just put one of our fitness coaches on the bench. Seems like the thing to do. We could take the p*** and give him squad number 69 or something.

Thinking outside the box, me.