Pre Match Thread

maqroll

We never beat West Ham and it will be a tough game as they are at home and will be angry they just got spanked 4 - 0 by Brighton.

My prediction is a grindy game where they win 1 - 0 scoring from a deflected shot against the run of play.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 3

We haven’t won against West Ham in London for 12 years, so it’s must be our time to win.

Lately we have been winning matches, that Villa in the past would have lost, I believe we can grind out an other win here, us to win 2-0.

7 hours ago, Bizzzle said:

I’d take a point tbh as like everyone has said we just don’t seem to beat these! 

Emery hasn't played these yet, no way would I take a point personally. 

• Like 3

Looking forward to going to this, but worried about their reaction to yesterday's spanking. 

Kamara is our best player by a country mile and he will be badly missed. 

That said, this is a poor West Ham side and we've done well on the road under Emery so we have every reason to be confident. 

1-2 Villa.

We're well overdue a win against these tw@ts. They've won the last five against us but very lucky in some of those wins, the one at VP this season they were lucky to win and the game in London last season and the season before we were the better side for large parts and were unlucky to lose. 

You can accept it to a degree when they are good but they really aren't good this season. They've got some good players but are in trouble down there, we really mustn't help them out by gifting them 3 points like we usually do, we will win this game and finally end our hoodoo against them if we get our tactics right. We've won 4 of our 5 away games under Emery, be disappointed if we don't make that 5 wins from 6. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nigel said:

Emery hasn't played these yet, no way would I take a point personally. 

Emery’s record against West Ham is one win and one loss. (Arsenal)

Since Emery became Villa manager, we have picked up 22 points, West Ham managed 9 points. This should our best chance to beat them, I think 2-0.

14 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I think Dendoncker is a must start personally. Can have him and Luiz infront of the back 4 and still play likes of McGinn and Ramsey advanced. And he'll be useful on defensive set pieces.

Rather than start a thread on it...any theories why our record is so dismal v West Ham.

Since we've come back up it's been played 7 and we've drawn two and lost five which have been our last five v them.

Now yes they've done well last few seasons but so have Leicester and we've won games v them. Yes they're very physical but so were Everton and we beat them with ease last week and also have an o.k record v Palace in last three years so are probably the biggest team in the league as @OutByEaster? brilliantly summarised in the post match thread.

So why are we so rubbish v West Ham? Our record v them reminds me of us going years losing home and away to Leicester in the 90s who had a similar profile until O'Neill left and suddenly we started beating them.

Last season I remember they played a very tough away match at Sevilla on the Thursday with a full strength team and we went there for an early kick off on the Sunday on the back of three straight wins without conceding a goal....and still lost pretty comfortably. Infact we must've been the only team in last three months they actually won against after playing a europa game midweek.

Hopefully Emery is the manager who can stop the rot v them and we can claim a point, we are 11 points clear of them after all.

We have been unlucky some games. Deflection last year, grealish game when we battered them. They also are alot more physical and we struggled with that

Hoping for a solid 2-0 win for us at there place next sunday, however they do seem to do perform against us whenever we come up against them. I feel this game might be 1-1, similar to the draw against them that secured our survival in July 2020. After 2 wins it wouldnt be the worst result however would be great to do what so many teams have done to us over the years and get the points of them when they are on a downward spiral.

I keep refreshing the away tickets page trying to get a ticket for this, i forgot they went on sale to season ticket holders on the day and missed out. Managed to pick one up for Leicester away early next month though so happy with that!

• Like 1