Pre Match Thread

maqroll

On 05/03/2023 at 20:40, Kingman said:

They have a nice trip to Cyprus on Thursday evening beforehand 

Historically, this has no positive effect for us. We can never seem to take advantage against teams that have played midweek/in Europe. That may be due to those teams usually being better than us (hence playing in Europe) but it's frustrating. 

I worry about our midfield here. Kamara keeps the momentum and fluidity on the ball so well, and Dougie is much better freed up further ahead. I don't trust Chambers as he's not mobile enough. SJM is probably the most suited and perhaps he drops Dougie back into Boo Boo's position. But then we lose having McGann further up field where he's been shining. Tough call. I expect Unai to play Chambers there but as someone pointed out it's a mismatch against Rice and Soucek. Chambers can't carry the ball anywhere near as well as Kamara can, and that is integral to our build up play. 

Edited by roonst83
  • Like 1

Yeah I'm not sure why some people think we can just turn up at their place and the three points are ours.

We're going there without Kamara, who has been key. There's the Ings factor too. I really don't think this will be a walk int he park at all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 05/03/2023 at 11:02, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Difficult one given we’ve 5 straight defeats against them 🤮 

No Kamara is going to hurt too; we could probably get Moyes sacked with a win though. Hopefully Ings doesnt score. Probably be a draw.

5 (five) straight defeats?! Good grief. 😑

I remember going to a pub in Croydon with a colleague to watch us v West Ham on TV in the PL between 2003 and 2005. They thrashed us 4-0 and I'm still waiting for us to beat them 4-0 to 'settle the scores'. Any win against them would be welcome though!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, robby b said:

5 (five) straight defeats?! Good grief. 😑

I remember going to a pub in Croydon with a colleague to watch us v West Ham on TV in the PL between 2003 and 2005. They thrashed us 4-0 and I'm still waiting for us to beat them 4-0 to 'settle the scores'. Any win against them would be welcome though!!!

I remember that one. The Harewood hat-trick game? ffs, we played in yellow think it was Freddie Bouma’s debut. Where does the time go 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

I remember that one. The Harewood hat-trick game? ffs, we played in yellow think it was Freddie Bouma’s debut. Where does the time go 

Yes, that was it, the Harewood hat-trick game, I just looked it up, it was in September 2005. Somehow I think I stayed in the pub watching until full-time.  : <

Think Kamara will be a huge miss against these. Not sure Luiz and Donk will have the better of Rice and Soucek. We don’t seem to match up well against these and our form against them has been very poor. Having said that, Emery will have a clear plan for this. 

Emi

Cash Konsa Mings Moreno

McGinn Dendonker Luiz Ramsey

Buendia Watkins

Looking light on the bench - Duran and Bailey the only real options going forward. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

Think Kamara will be a huge miss against these. Not sure Luiz and Donk will have the better of Rice and Soucek. We don’t seem to match up well against these and our form against them has been very poor. Having said that, Emery will have a clear plan for this. 

Emi

Cash Konsa Mings Moreno

McGinn Dendonker Luiz Ramsey

Buendia Watkins

Looking light on the bench - Duran and Bailey the only real options going forward. 

We might go 4-3-3, donk, Luiz and mcginn in front of the defense and Ramsey, buendia and bailey in a 3 behind Watkins. I think we might need an extra body in the middle now Kamara is out.

• Like 1

On 06/03/2023 at 12:13, roonst83 said:

Historically, this has no positive effect for us. We can never seem to take advantage against teams that have played midweek/in Europe. That may be due to those teams usually being better than us (hence playing in Europe) but it's frustrating. 

I worry about our midfield here. Kamara keeps the momentum and fluidity on the ball so well, and Dougie is much better freed up further ahead. I don't trust Chambers as he's not mobile enough. SJM is probably the most suited and perhaps he drops Dougie back into Boo Boo's position. But then we lose having McGann further up field where he's been shining. Tough call. I expect Unai to play Chambers there but as someone pointed out it's a mismatch against Rice and Soucek. Chambers can't carry the ball anywhere near as well as Kamara can, and that is integral to our build up play. 

Hopefully, Dendoncker is back. He is the obvious choice to replace the irreplaceable Kamara .

I think Emery might play this fixture similar to the palace game, he might be a bit more conservative and focused on us trying to control the game rather than us going all out to try and score as many as we possibly can. They always manage to exploit our high line when they play with Bowen, so i reckon this game probably won't be a thriller but ultimately if we play more conservative and get the 3 points then i dont care. Most games we want to be more entertaining than we were at the weekend, but this is a great opportunity for us to reach 37 points and get a 3rd victory and hopefully clean sheet in a row.