Pre Match Thread

maqroll

Last year at City, when we were up 1-0, City were looking frustrated. Then when we went up 2-0, De Bruyne got angry, put the team on his back, and willed them to victory. He's the one who worries me. They know that they have a chance to make up ground on Arsenal after failing to do so last week. He's getting older and beginning to show signs of decline, but is he going to do it again?

I'm looking forward to the tactical battle. We finally have someone who can match wits with Guardiola, and Unai and Pep know each other from past battles in La Liga. You can argue that SG contributed to our loss last year by bringing Nakamba on for Coutinho, failing to recognize that our counterattacking threat had kept City from attacking full-bore. Let's hope that Unai does better.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TomC said:

Last year at City, when we were up 1-0, City were looking frustrated. Then when we went up 2-0, De Bruyne got angry, put the team on his back, and willed them to victory. He's the one who worries me. They know that they have a chance to make up ground on Arsenal after failing to do so last week. He's getting older and beginning to show signs of decline, but is he going to do it again?

I'm looking forward to the tactical battle. We finally have someone who can match wits with Guardiola, and Unai and Pep know each other from past battles in La Liga. You can argue that SG contributed to our loss last year by bringing Nakamba on for Coutinho, failing to recognize that our counterattacking threat had kept City from attacking full-bore. Let's hope that Unai does better.

giphy.gif

12 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Why have you given home games as examples? Talk about being strawmanned!

I said we never get a result AT MAN CITY. And we usually get hammered. Here are our league results at their place in the last 10 years:

Manchester City 5 v 0 Aston Villa 

Manchester City 4 v 0 Aston Villa

Manchester City 4 v 0 Aston Villa

Manchester City 3 v 0 Aston Villa

Manchester City 2 v 0 Aston Villa

Manchester City 3 v 2 Aston Villa

You don't see any hammerings there? Ok mate. We've scored in just one of our last 6 visits there, conceding 21 goals in the process.

You know if you are going to quote someone then you should really do it honestly.

Our record their is appalling. With plenty of hammerings.

Being optimistic is one thing, but ignoring the facts and changing the goalposts on what someone has posted is totally different matter.

I'm not saying that you are necessarily wrong, we have a poor record there and did even when they were a worse team than us and we haven't won there in the league since 2007 just before Abu Dhabi's billions got pumped into the club, but it's the defeatist attitude I don't get and saying we should forfeit the game. 

Also three of the hammerings above were in the immediate years before our relegation when we had such stellar players in our team like El Ahmadi, Westwood, Lowton, Stevens, Baker, Clark, Hutton, Bowery, Bacuna, Lescott, an overweight Gabby. With dross like that in the team it's no wonder we got hammered. You also missed us losing 3-2 under Sherwood in 2015 when we deserved at least a point if not all three. 

I'm not saying we will get anything today, we probably won't, but going on about the past when we had a much weaker set of players and poor managers in charge doesn't seem relevant to where we are now. 

4 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Even I would have to be mad to go for 4.1 Villa at 250/1 

Can only see a loss here, just hope its not embarrassing 

The way I think about it is it can’t be more embarrassing than giving Danny Drinkwater his first start in 6 months and seeing how he gets on against Kevin de Bruyne. 

Only way is up from there. 

10 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

100 years and won **** all…Manchester City!

You brought the league

You brought the cup

Now all that cheating has fuc**d you up

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 3

Will probably try my best to avoid this game, as it will only annoy me and thyen I'll upset the wife :)

Also the Gresford Spunkfest will be intolerable, and that's if he's only on the bench.

9 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Why? Are you playing? Just pointing out that our record their is horrendous and I despise playing them. Since nobody on this forum is playing the game I don't need to be motivational and pretend otherwise.

I'll leave that for the manager and the people that will actually be on the pitch.

I'm not playing today no. Still not quite match fit.