Pre Match Thread

maqroll

All i hope is that we go down fighting. We've already took a point off them this season and Mings kept Haaland very quiet so who knows...

Lose 3 pr 4 nil and the early good will is starting to fade already after that Leicester result.

On 06/02/2023 at 21:50, VillaChris said:

Could be right. 

Would take two draws v Arsenal and Everton and think we can get them if we're properly on it.

When did we last even get a point away to them, 2000s?!

That is the significant caveat, in all predictions.

It feels like all the media and basically the world are going to have eyes on this one. It’ll be really interesting to see how the Man City players react to a defeat last game and to the off field revelations?

Last season we were two goals up with 15 minutes to play and we still managed to lose the game. Emery will have a detailed plan and I just hope the players can execute it for the full 90 minutes.

Some changes perhaps for this one - Cash or Young, Moreno or Digne, McGinn or Ramsey?

Does Bailey keep his place or what about a start for Duran? Could even have Ramsey or Buendia playing in the ten position behind Watkins? I think he’ll go with the team below to start but we have some decent options:

Martinez

Young        Konsa             Mings         Moreno

Kamara         Luiz

McGinn                           Buendia

Bailey         Watkins

Subs: Olsen, Cash, Digne, Chambers, Dendoncker, Ramsey, Coutinho, K Young, Duran

Call me mad but I’m going to go with a smash and grab 0-1 win. UTV

47 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

It feels like all the media and basically the world are going to have eyes on this one. It’ll be really interesting to see how the Man City players react to a defeat last game and to the off field revelations?

Last season we were two goals up with 15 minutes to play and we still managed to lose the game. Emery will have a detailed plan and I just hope the players can execute it for the full 90 minutes.

Some changes perhaps for this one - Cash or Young, Moreno or Digne, McGinn or Ramsey?

Does Bailey keep his place or what about a start for Duran? Could even have Ramsey or Buendia playing in the ten position behind Watkins? I think he’ll go with the team below to start but we have some decent options:

Martinez

Young        Konsa             Mings         Moreno

Kamara         Luiz

McGinn                           Buendia

Bailey         Watkins

Subs: Olsen, Cash, Digne, Chambers, Dendoncker, Ramsey, Coutinho, K Young, Duran

Call me mad but I’m going to go with a smash and grab 0-1 win. UTV

your mad.....

There will be a Siege mentality from them.

UE can have all the plans in the world.....as you say, the players have to execute it.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

your mad.....

There will be a Siege mentality from them.

UE can have all the plans in the world.....as you say, the players have to execute it.

I know, I most likely am but you never know in football.  If we can score first, then use our back six again?   I’ll hold my hands up now though if we lose by five or six.

I hope I'm wrong but I fear this is a bad time to play them.

Sound like a broken record (in this kind of fixture) but it's so important not to concede early or I fear a  possible rout.

It's important not to be camped on our own penalty box but I would definitely set up with a low block and hope to hit them on the counter.

Goes without saying we have to be fully on our game to have any chance of picking up any points.

I'd go...

Martinez 

Young      Konsa     Mings     Digne

McGinn    Kamara    Luiz      Ramsey 

Buendia

Watkins

Head 4-0 Haaland (2) Foden, Gundogen 

Heart 1-2 Grealish 90+2, McGinn 88, Ramsey 90+5 ;) 

18 hours ago, Django_Zooms said:

Do remember that Villa would have won the home match 2-1 with a Coutinho goal, but the linesman raised his flag early & wrongly for offside, against the VAR guidance that only applies for the media's favourite teams.

yes. pretty much the one shot from outside the box that Coutinho has ever got on target for Villa and its gets chalked off for a wrong offside call 😩

funny enough  that incident didnt make it into the 9 minute youtube video from that game that mac city put together. Its actually quite interesting to watch it and then the skysports version of the same game to get a feel for how spin works lol. tells very different stories depending on what version you watch. Martinez was incredible in it in both versions mind you! had a great game!

4 hours ago, romavillan said:

What? Surely not even the most mental mentalist from mentalandia would think losing even 5 or 6 against this lot would have any kind of impact on the goodwill for the new manager and the absolutely amazing work he's done so far?

My point being that the honey moon period may well be perceived as over and then we'll see where we really stand. In my opinion the results since Emery took over are beyond what we should expect over the course of a season so we may start to see that balance itself out in the coming weeks and i hope everyone stays onside.

Much of the success against City this year has been allowing plenty of space for wide players who form their back 3 (typically Ake and Stones) to have the ball. Without the prowess of KDB and B Silva playing at their absolute prime in the half spaces, a lot of the responsibility has fallen onto Grealish and Mahrez to create without overlaps. Sometimes to good effect but a lot of the time not.

Where they are hurting the most is that Haaland is pretty shit with his back to goal or playing with a defender on his back. He's a great straight line player and movement in the box plus that poacher's instinct is elite (see goal against us peeling off on Konsa). But teams have kinda figured out that if you can keep him from turning, then he's not this lethal threat that he was earlier in the season. The prem has a way of figuring out players.

I would not be surprised at all to see Unai go back to either the 622 or the 631 that used against Brighton at times.

And depending on how the match goes - we could see a lot of Duran. Ollie and Bailey are going to put in a lot of graft pressing but also taking on a lot of solo runs on the counter.

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, romavillan said:

What? Surely not even the most mental mentalist from mentalandia would think losing even 5 or 6 against this lot would have any kind of impact on the goodwill for the new manager and the absolutely amazing work he's done so far?

What he’s saying is we have to compete against these types of teams even if we lose. Next season we will be looking to progress and we can’t keep saying because it’s City (or whoever) we can’t go out and win and should just roll over, especially when we drop points to teams like wolves and Leicester. And it’s not like City are unbeatable if you get it right, as Brentford and even Botteringham Lolspurs have shown.

If we lose by more than two or three the likelihood is we’ve shot ourselves in the foot more than once probably by playing out from the back and that will be on Emery. He has to get the balance right and keep us in the game as long as possible if we’re to potentially beat City, not throw the game in the first half. Our first half performances against Wolves, Leeds and Leicester were all very poor, we have to start better on Sunday.

Edited by Leeroy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

What he’s saying is we have to compete against these types of teams even if we lose. Next season we will be looking to progress and we can’t keep saying because it’s City (or whoever) we can’t go out and win and should just roll over, especially when we drop points to teams like wolves and Leicester. And it’s not like City are unbeatable if you get it right, as Brentford and even Botteringham Lolspurs have shown.

If we lose by more than two or three the likelihood is we’ve shot ourselves in the foot more than once probably by playing out from the back and that will be on Emery. He has to get the balance right and keep us in the game as long as possible if we’re to potentially beat City, not throw the game in the first half. Our first half performances against Wolves, Leeds and Leicester were all very poor, we have to start better on Sunday.

Not for me no. City have the players to completely play us off the park regardless of how we play. If we make a load of mistakes it will be something Emery will learn from, it won't be putting pressure on him or any other sort of vague threatening language you might want to use. What he *needs* to do is continue the good work he's doing progressing the players, learning about the squad at the start of what we hope is a long and successful journey to get to where we want to be in the future. 

For my money only an idiot like the one's booing at half time against Leicester would be talking up pressure on Emery if we lose even the next three on the bounce. What's more important long term is that he uses the time between now and the summer to fully understand who in the squad are going to be the basis of his project here at Villa.

Lose 3,4,5,6 against City away has little to zero influence on me as to whether he is suitable as the manager to take us forward. Might be annoying, but the future prize is worth way more than any short term concern. Yes we want as much prize money at the end of the season as possible, but only a **** loon would have been looking at this fixture as anything other than a free hit for whoever is in charge in terms of trying to get points on the board.

Edited by romavillan
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Not for me no. City have the players to completely play us off the park regardless of how we play. If we make a load of mistakes it will be something Emery will learn from, it won't be putting pressure on him or any other sort of vague threatening language you might want to use. What he *needs* to do is continue the good work he's doing progressing the players, learning about the squad at the start of what we hope is a long and successful journey to get to where we want to be in the future. 

For my money only an idiot like the one's booing at half time against Leicester would be talking up pressure on Emery if we lose even the next three on the bounce. What's more important long term is that he uses the time between now and the summer to fully understand who in the squad are going to be the basis of his project here at Villa.

Lose 3,4,5,6 against City away has little to zero influence on me as to whether he is suitable as the manager to take us forward. Might be annoying, but the future prize is worth way more than any short term concern. Yes we want as much prize money at the end of the season as possible, but only a **** loon would have been looking at this fixture as anything other than a free hit for whoever is in charge in terms of trying to get points on the board.

You've completely lost me here, I didn't use any threatening language or say Emery was under pressure. He's the best manager we could have got but it doesn't mean fans won't offer constructive criticism if it's just that which it is. Losing the next three would be a big concern though, given that would be four defeats in a row and the sorts of runs Gerrard and Smith used to go on. I'm hoping that it doesn't happen as Emery should be far better than either of those two. And although we probably will lose to City, we are capable of getting something off Arsenal at home particularly as they have City three days before and we should be capable of winning at Everton even if they do have Dyche in charge now.

Emery definitely shouldn't have to abandon his principles but we are conceding too many goals from playing out from the back and there needs to be at least some moderation of that particularly against the better teams who will press relentlessly. City will play a high line so the way to expose that is by exploiting the space in behind them with pace not by playing a slow game passing out from the back where they will have men surrounding our players. You might not care if we lose or if we get spanked but I do and I would like us to end the season well so we are in a position for players to want to come here as it looks to me like Emery might have a decent amount of money to spend in the summer.