Pre Match Thread

maqroll

4 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Odds are shocking, 1.25, Man City, really, they haven't been been too convincing lately, an we could surely at least grab a point.

We never, ever get a result at Man City and usually get hammered. If we lose by 2 or less its a result for us there given everything. The odds are like that for a good reason. I'd rather we didn't play this game each season and just give up the 3 points to focus on the next match. Hate this fixture more than any other. They'll batter us.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

We never, ever get a result at Man City and usually get hammered. If we lose by 2 or less its a result for us there given everything. The odds are like that for a good reason. I'd rather we didn't play this game each season and just give up the 3 points to focus on the next match. Hate this fixture more than any other. They'll batter us.

What the hell is this?! Our last five games: Aston Villa 1-1 Manchester City, Manchester City 3-2 Aston Villa, Aston Villa 1-2 Manchester City, Aston Villa 1-2 Manchester City, Manchester City 2-0 Aston Villa. I don't see any hammerings there, in fact we would have won at least one of those games if we'd managed the games better. Probably didn't help that we had Gerrard and Smith as managers for those games.

Of course the odds will be heavily in their favour, it's very difficult to win at the Etihad for any team, but to write the game off like you have is very silly. We are more than capable of going there and causing problems and I would expect to see a reaction after Leicester and in particular the defence to be much better. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Leeroy said:

What the hell is this?! Our last five games: Aston Villa 1-1 Manchester City, Manchester City 3-2 Aston Villa, Aston Villa 1-2 Manchester City, Aston Villa 1-2 Manchester City, Manchester City 2-0 Aston Villa. I don't see any hammerings there, in fact we would have won at least one of those games if we'd managed the games better. Probably didn't help that we had Gerrard and Smith as managers for those games.

Of course the odds will be heavily in their favour, it's very difficult to win at the Etihad for any team, but to write the game off like you have is very silly. We are more than capable of going there and causing problems and I would expect to see a reaction after Leicester and in particular the defence to be much better. 

Why have you given home games as examples? Talk about being strawmanned!

I said we never get a result AT MAN CITY. And we usually get hammered. Here are our league results at their place in the last 10 years:

Manchester City 5 v 0 Aston Villa 

Manchester City 4 v 0 Aston Villa

Manchester City 4 v 0 Aston Villa

Manchester City 3 v 0 Aston Villa

Manchester City 2 v 0 Aston Villa

Manchester City 3 v 2 Aston Villa

You don't see any hammerings there? Ok mate. We've scored in just one of our last 6 visits there, conceding 21 goals in the process.

You know if you are going to quote someone then you should really do it honestly.

Our record their is appalling. With plenty of hammerings.

Being optimistic is one thing, but ignoring the facts and changing the goalposts on what someone has posted is totally different matter.

Edited by GlobalVillan

I think we've acquitted ourselves well in the last few visits to Citeh. Should definitely have won last season but for some calamitous defending. Also the game when Deano got sent off for arguing about the goal that never should have been. I remember McGinn missing a great chance in that game.

I'm always optimistic before a game, regardless the opposition. Come on me Babbys!

Wait. This is a weird-arse match. Gotta stop and behold the toe-curling weirdness of it all.

The context is just ... mad.  

I feel there's this unfair pressure on us to beat the Evil Cheaters, and I hope our players can ignore all that. But especially with awful Pep pretty much embracing the evil, I also fear their players will be all juiced up on degenerate petro-club zombie defiance and just kick the living shit out of us and eat our livers for dinner.

Very, very hard to ignore the messed-up context for this match.

A lot of people all over the world will be rooting for us. It feels really, really big to me. I hope we can at least offer a noble effort. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Wait. This is a weird-arse match. Gotta stop and behold the toe-curling weirdness of it all.

The context is just ... mad.  

I feel there's this unfair pressure on us to beat the Evil Cheaters, and I hope our players can ignore all that. But especially with awful Pep pretty much embracing the evil, I also fear their players will be all juiced up on degenerate petro-club zombie defiance and just kick the living shit out of us and eat our livers for dinner.

Very, very hard to ignore the messed-up context for this match.

A lot of people all over the world will be rooting for us. It feels really, really big to me. I hope we can at least offer a noble effort. 

All of the above plus the fact that Arsenal slipped up today and they can close the gap right down and put the wheels back on their PL season.  In case they needed more motivation. 

We won’t be able to match that cutting edge motivation (although I fully expect us to put on a hard working professional display)  so it’s all on the tactics and carrying out the game plan. And hopefully no suicidal play at the back.

• Thanks 1

I think we'll lose, they'll have too much for us after we put in a dogged resistance and they'll get a very favourable ref/var decision.

My only hope is that under unai we have been superb against the sky 6. Come on villa!

I also think tomorrow will be grealish's 'moment' where his lasting supporters in claret and blue turn on him. He'll dive/celebrate after scoring. Very much the yorke kissing the utd badge or a.young diving for united against us. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Are you available for some motivational speaking any time soon?

Why? Are you playing? Just pointing out that our record their is horrendous and I despise playing them. Since nobody on this forum is playing the game I don't need to be motivational and pretend otherwise.

I'll leave that for the manager and the people that will actually be on the pitch.

On 10/02/2023 at 11:30, DJBOB said:

And depending on how the match goes - we could see a lot of Duran. Ollie and Bailey are going to put in a lot of graft pressing but also taking on a lot of solo runs on the counter.

Curious why you think we'll see a lot of Duran. Pumping long balls for the big guy to win in the air and playing route 1 rather than playing from the back because City's press will be too much?