Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Said in the match thread West ham had 16% possession and completed 61 passes in the first half

JWP suits that style of play, great for set pieces and snatching goals

But there's a reason the better teams in the league who want >60% possession and are expecting a player in his role to take 80 odd touches a game didn't go near him

Tbf ward Prowse can do all that. 5he bigger issue with him is his lack of pace and physicality that prevents him from contributing when pressing and in the defensive phases beyond being an intelligent player who is in the right positions. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Tbf ward Prowse can do all that. 5he bigger issue with him is his lack of pace and physicality that prevents him from contributing when pressing and in the defensive phases beyond being an intelligent player who is in the right positions. 

He’s just a very average player who happens to be world class at set pieces 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Arse trying to offload players. Smith-Rowe at a cut rate price might be good.

Yeah would be an interesting one, surprised he hasn’t really be linked with anywhere he’s hardly played in the last year. He was overhyped a while back but still decent for most Prem sides I think 

Said this before and it's a high level sweeping statement that won't apply to every player....

You don't catch the team above you by paying £30m+ for one of their reserves

That's the Everton model

ESR isn't good enough for arsenal, I'm not entirely sure he'd start for us either, as a loan to plug the gap left by the Buendia injury I wouldn't say no but I wouldbt want us to buy him

I'm aware that we bought martinez off them but that says a lot about arsenal, I don't get that same feeling with ESR

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, beachboys1 said:

personaly dont think well get any more  incomings

Probably hinges on players leaving to be honest, we’ve seen Coutinho and Digne being linked away and ultimately I can’t imagine we’d sell any first team players and not bring in any replacements

Also the way we’ve been selling these youngsters, is that just to balance the books as they are now, or is it to create some headroom for another signing?

Personally I’d like to believe the club are still working on something, maybe one more attacker at least.

10 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

Probably hinges on players leaving to be honest, we’ve seen Coutinho and Digne being linked away and ultimately I can’t imagine we’d sell any first team players and not bring in any replacements

Also the way we’ve been selling these youngsters, is that just to balance the books as they are now, or is it to create some headroom for another signing?

Personally I’d like to believe the club are still working on something, maybe one more attacker at least.

Surely selling the youngsters was to allow their development - nothing to do with either of these?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

He’s just a very average player who happens to be world class at set pieces 

No, that's Connor Hourihane...  Everyone here acts like JWP is Hourihane 2.0.  He's a much better player than anyone wants to admit.  

• Like 1

Emery was emphatic in his press conference yesterday that it was very important to strengthen the squad further, in addition to that he talked of further signings should players leave. From the way he he was talking I'd expect at least another two with the possibility of more should players that would have been part of the first team squad leave.

He said when asked about transfer market 'we need something more', then talked about players leaving and then about the injuries to Buendia and Mings and how we're looking to replace them, might not be direct replacements, but players to occupy their spaces in the squad.

Edited by useless

Smith Rowe is another over hyped player because he is English, a Southgate darling and playing for a top 4 club.  Steer clear, this guy is on a downward slope with injuries and lack of game time.
JJ has the better attributes and higher ceiling by miles.

• Like 4

I agree that we aren’t going to catch teams by buying players that they consider not good enough for themselves. There’s the odd gem that’ll work out, but I’d rather the club be looking outside the prem, really.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

Arse trying to offload players. Smith-Rowe at a cut rate price might be good.

I wouldn't say no, but he has said that to us before and could well do so again. I can't see Arsenal selling him for a cut rate price, if they would be willing to sell him at all (it's probably others, that they are more willing to sell). I also think he would want to stay there or failing that to stay in London. UE can be very persuasive, if a player is one that he wants for his project though...