Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

7 minutes ago, lexicon said:

The game has evolved into roles rather than positions tbf. Moreno isn't a particularly good defender either but he doesn't have to be in the system we play. Tavares might be a good fit for us in that respect.

I get that, but the game is always evolving and always has.

I understand the business of evolving roles....but someone has to defend, this league is such where its unusual to have such dominance, that you can limit defenders in favour of attackers....in an ideal world of course all players could do both.

We should all be aware, that while, we can regularly win against average opposition , when we play the better teams, good defensive structure becomes a necessity, more than an option.....and the system we play, whilst it has been a welcome creation, doesn't always create the difference we sometimes claim, against the better teams.

43 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Tbh, with the names we have been linked to… I’d rather just hang on to Digne this season then look to move him on ahead of the next… if Phil goes there’s less of an immediate need to sell him and get those wages off the books right now too…

Moreno will be back soon, and we’ll be a much better aide for it.

I like Acuna but he’s injured and older than Lucas… no thanks to Alonso(!) and there are doubts over Tavares…

I hope we have better targets in mind, whether that’s now or in the future…

More than happy with Digne atm, moreno should be back soon too, don’t see why we are disrupting things trying to move him at this stage especially after his last performance 🔥

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villaglint said:

Interesting we haven’t gone back in for Guendouzi. Does Tielemans mean we don’t need him. I had in my head he was more advanced and would play the McGinn/Ramsey role. Losing Buendia, Coutinho I feel like we need one more player there. Think I saw a quote from Unai saying we won’t replace Buendia which leaves us light in that position for me. 

You pretty much answered your own question in the first part and plus Guendouzi isn’t the level of player we are going for now since we have set new heights.

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I get that, but the game is always evolving and always has.

I understand the business of evolving roles....but someone has to defend, this league is such where its unusual to have such dominance, that you can limit defenders in favour of attackers....in an ideal world of course all players could do both.

We should all be aware, that while, we can regularly win against average opposition , when we play the better teams, good defensive structure becomes a necessity, more than an option.....and the system we play, whilst it has been a welcome creation, doesn't always create the difference we sometimes claim, against the better teams.

The happy medium you're talking about is Acuna, but that seems to be off now he's injured. 

I'm very much a proponent of a strong defence too, but as I said, Moreno isn't a particularly good defender and we've been fine with him in the side. When he's back, I expect that we'll go Moreno - Torres - Carlos - Konsa, so we're well covered with 3 CBs. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Sure… maybe Cash can adapt and improve. I actually prefer Konsa there for now and want the Pau and Diego partnership to be established and thriving… a new signing in that (hybrid) RB department would be very helpful… Matty is far too comfortable and unchallenged…

Competition breeds success…

But then wouldn’t Cash’s competition be Konsa ?

21 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

I still think we need someone to unpick a low block with key passes 

I think that comes from a " team effort" as opposed to one individual.

Wenger once said when asked about strikers " Teams score goals".....individual players, just play their part.

I think in general, we have that bit well organised, as our team, does play as a team now.....long gone are the days of give it to Jack, to unlock defences.

I will be surprised if anyone else comes in now.....Moreno, Dendoncker and JJ returning will be like 3 new signings.

7 minutes ago, lexicon said:

The happy medium you're talking about is Acuna, but that seems to be off now he's injured. 

I'm very much a proponent of a strong defence too, but as I said, Moreno isn't a particularly good defender and we've been fine with him in the side. When he's back, I expect that we'll go Moreno - Torres - Carlos - Konsa, so we're well covered with 3 CBs. 

As you perhaps know, I am too......but, Its great to see all the attacking options come in to the squad too, but a good defence is paramount for where we want to go.

I love clean sheets...it says so much about a team, in so many different ways.

Looks like the Acuna one, is dead, with his recent injury.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, RicRic said:

But then wouldn’t Cash’s competition be Konsa ?

Maybe but not directly… Ezri is needed at CB too… and he can focus on that position if we bring in a new player and one that’s better or better suited to the side and system than Matty is… Matty is the only actual RB we have. I don’t think Chambers has the speed or ability to excel there either and will probably help out at CB more too…especially against weaker opposition.

The thing for me is… we don’t just want to have “adequate” players or those “filling in positions”… we need to raise the levels and standards if we really want to kick on, progress and have success…

We have to increase the quality… I think Unai and Monchi or if a similar mindset but we are only going to identify and pursue the right players and time, patience and negotiation is required to bring them in…

• Like 2

If the right right back isn’t available now, then I’d be ok going with Konsa and Cash as our two options until Jan.

Torres is a certain starter now, we need the aerial presence of Carlos in both boxes, and to be fair to Konsa he’s a very good player when he’s got a strong commanding centre back next to him, which Carlos is. 

I think we’ start regularly with:

konsa - Carlos - Pau - Moreno 

with the option of switching to:

Cash - Carlos - Pau - Digne

See if Cash can get back up to speed like he did in the few games after his injury last season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Maybe but not directly… Ezri is needed at CB too… and he can focus on that position if we bring in a new player and one that’s better or better suited to the side and system than Matty is… Matty is the only actual RB we have. I don’t think Chambers has the speed or ability to excel there either and will probably help out at CB more too…especially against weaker opposition.

The thing for me is… we don’t just want to have “adequate” players or those “filling in positions”… we need to raise the levels and standards if we really want to kick on, progress and have success…

We have to increase the quality… I think Unai and Monchi or if a similar mindset but we are only going to identify and pursue the right players and time, patience and negotiation is required to bring them in…

I think the dynamic duo are well aware of what we have to do.....its hard to do it all in one window.....so many factors become challenges.

I think we have done really well so far......but now the progress will probably be more moderate in terms of signings.

Monchi has only been here 5 minutes and even UE has not done 12 months.....the mood every where is positive towards us, but the League is still arduous.....and slowly, slowly catch a monkey, should be our mindset.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think the dynamic duo are well aware of what we have to do.....its hard to do it all in one window.....so many factors become challenges.

I think we have done really well so far......but now the progress will probably be more moderate in terms of signings.

Monchi has only been here 5 minutes and even UE has not done 12 months.....the mood every where is positive towards us, but the League is still arduous.....and slowly, slowly catch a monkey, should be our mindset.

I know just the kind of player you want:

Edited by Jas10

12 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

........Accrington Stanley have always been a massive club...they always miss the obvious ones.

Edited by TRO