Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I watched a Marseille game last season when we were linked with Guendozi and I have to say that Tavares looked very hit and miss. Some great moments followed by some shockers. Looked the same as when he was at Arsenal. It was only one game though. 

He is only 23 though so there’s a player there to work with.

Tbh, with the names we have been linked to… I’d rather just hang on to Digne this season then look to move him on ahead of the next… if Phil goes there’s less of an immediate need to sell him and get those wages off the books right now too…

Moreno will be back soon, and we’ll be a much better aide for it.

I like Acuna but he’s injured and older than Lucas… no thanks to Alonso(!) and there are doubts over Tavares…

I hope we have better targets in mind, whether that’s now or in the future…

• Like 4

Is there always an assumption that all sales are manager or club led?

Maybe it’s sometimes more a case of the player wanting to move on for reasons such as settling down, returning to their home country, guaranteed first team football, better conditions, winding down etc.

This might be the case for Lucas… we may not be desperate to sell but an appealing offer came in (both for the club and player) which we are considering… maybe he wants to return home to France and settle down with his family?

According to reports, Philogene himself wanted to leave to get regular game time too…

I even look at Messi’s move and how it has granted him a more comfortable, less pressure life and time with his family… he seems and sounds really happy…

Phil may have a similar experience if he moves to Qatar…

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Haven’t followed the player much but he has been slated for how he did at Arsenal but… he is still young (preferable to older players with little to no longevity), has had a positive loan at Marseille, can keep improving (especially under Unai) and maybe just didn’t fit in to the style/system/environment at Arsenal?

Dunno really…. It if Unai wants him there’s got to be some real potential there…

6 goals last season too… but can he defend?

That used to be the pre-requisite of a full back.

5 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

I like  "More than a woman" as much as the next guy, but I think there are better songs for the team to run out to. Odd for Romano to have a view on it though 

I'm more a " Heaven must be missing an Angel" man myself.

• Haha 1

Just now, TRO said:

Tbf… with Unai’s system, more of that responsibility lies with the 2 CBs and RB…

But… once he settled down (didn’t take long at all) Moreno showed he was no slouch on that side, even though he excels more at attacking… made some crucial interventions to stop us conceding at times and even hurt himself doing so…

Unless he wants to flip it or tweak the system, Unai will want that LB continuing to bomb forwards (recent comments on Digne, after the Hibs game, were encouraging or demanding him to focus on that aspect more) but they still need to be able to defend when required and not be a liability in that sense…

Acuna fit the bill but he’s older than Digne (not everyone is Ashley Young) and now he’s injured anyway…

15 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Is there always an assumption that all sales are manager or club led?

Maybe it’s sometimes more a case of the player wanting to move on for reasons such as settling down, returning to their home country, guaranteed first team football, better conditions, winding down etc.

This might be the case for Lucas… we may not be desperate to sell but an appealing offer came in (both for the club and player) which we are considering… maybe he wants to return home to France and settle down with his family?

According to reports, Philogene himself wanted to leave to get regular game time too…

I even look at Messi’s move and how it has granted him a more comfortable, less pressure life and time with his family… he seems and sounds really happy…

Phil may have a similar experience if he moves to Qatar…

some reports say Luca Digne is very happy at Villa.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think the big transformation Emery has done at Villa is our attack is now so potent. We can break down inferior sides. He always has the tactical ability to make a gameplan for any top side too

I still think we need someone to unpick a low block with key passes 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

The game has evolved into roles rather than positions tbf. Moreno isn't a particularly good defender either but he doesn't have to be in the system we play. Tavares might be a good fit for us in that respect.

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Tbf… with Unai’s system, more of that responsibility lies with the 2 CBs and RB…

But… once he settled down (didn’t take long at all) Moreno showed he was no slouch on that side, even though he excels more at attacking… made some crucial interventions to stop us conceding at times and even hurt himself doing so…

Unless he wants to flip it or tweak the system, Unai will want that LB continuing to bomb forwards (recent comments on Digne, after the Hibs game, were encouraging or demanding him to focus on that aspect more) but they still need to be able to defend when required and not be a liability in that sense…

Acuna fit the bill but he’s older than Digne (not everyone is Ashley Young) and now he’s injured anyway…

Yeah I get that....Ron Saunders had Gidman and Gibson as the more attacking full backs, but in our case Cash is also quite offensive minded, compared to his defensive capability.

My concern is not when one of them has an attacking style , its when both have.....I am not talking about how they are deployed, I am refering to their intrinsic abilities.

7 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

I still think we need someone to unpick a low block with key passes 

It would be nice but I’m wondering whether there will be more of an onus on the midfielders to do this… both Dougie and Youri excel in this department and can be played further forward if required…

But me may yet bring in such an attacker…

Zaniolo, Diaby and Bailey (if he keeps improving) will all run at and terrify opposition defences and supply Ollie too… JJ when he returns too…

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Supervillan78 said:

Fresneda is apparently in talks with West Ham. Would have been a decent signing for us. 

Would be a shame if he went there, especially as we could do with another RB in the squad.

Let’s hope there are 1 or 2 surprises in the coming week.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Yeah I get that....Ron Saunders had Gidman and Gibson as the more attacking full backs, but in our case Cash is also quite offensive minded, compared to his defensive capability.

My concern is not when one of them has an attacking style , its when both have.....I am not talking about how they are deployed, I am refering to their intrinsic abilities.

Sure… maybe Cash can adapt and improve. I actually prefer Konsa there for now and want the Pau and Diego partnership to be established and thriving… a new signing in that (hybrid) RB department would be very helpful… Matty is far too comfortable and unchallenged…

Competition breeds success…

• Like 1