Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Pretty sure saw similar posts last window when only Moreno signed and we were fine. There's player talk of Emery wanting a small family. I'll trust him with how we end up at the end of the window

Yep, I do trust him. He’s earned that trust. I suppose it just seems that we’re a bit too thin on the ground, but as you say and most of us agree if it’s Unai’s choice then so be it :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Out: Nakamba, Wesley, Sanson, A. Ramsey, Archer, Davis, Philogene

In: Tielemams, Diaby, Pau Torres, Zaniolo

Can someone explain to me why they think this is a bad window?

Just on volume of players bought in. The signings are not the issue

• Like 2

Just now, duke313 said:

It's not a bad window and the incomings are good, but we needed a right back and haven't got one, we needed a better backup goalkeeper who is good with his feet, we haven't got one, and with Buendia and Mings out for the season and letting Coutinho and Archer go our squad depth is no better than last season. 

Our net spend this summer after finishing in Europe for the first time in 13 years is just £30m (approximately) at present. That simply isn't enough if we want to challenge for a top 4 place and win a trophy which Unai keeps saying we do. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I don’t think it’s been a bad window, but I do think in terms of numbers we’re a bit low. But as said before if Emery is happy then I trust him.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Just on volume of players bought in. The signings are not the issue

We’ve added 4 senior players, and lost none, with the exception of Young.  How many players did people think we’d get?

• Like 3

Why are people completely ignoring the fact that Emery said just a few days ago that we need something more, as in more singings to help the team, and he spoke in relative length about it, he talked making signings and then more if players leave. We will be making more sigings, just because papers don't have a running commentary doesn't mean to say things aren't happening.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

We’ve added 4 senior players, and lost none, with the exception of Young.  How many players did people think we’d get?

I was expecting another right back and striker. So 6.

I also dont rate olsen so at a push 7

NET i dont think we have spent that much with the outgoings

Edited by Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

It's not a bad window and the incomings are good, but we needed a right back and haven't got one, we needed a better backup goalkeeper who is good with his feet, we haven't got one, and with Buendia and Mings out for the season and letting Coutinho and Archer go our squad depth is no better than last season. 

Our net spend this summer after finishing in Europe for the first time in 13 years is just £30m (approximately) at present. That simply isn't enough if we want to challenge for a top 4 place and win a trophy which Unai keeps saying we do. 

To be fair, I think that Unai has fully earned our trust. If someone suitable is available, at the right price, then we will do business. If nobody suitable is available, we will keep our powder dry. This is much better than panic buying and being stuck with players who offer very little.

Remember people saying similar things in January and that all worked out ok. FFP is an ongoing thing. We need to spend wisely even if that means being patient. Our signings this summer have been excellent. We continue to evolve and are on the right path. We need to trust the process. It’s a genuinely brilliant time to be a Villa fan.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, useless said:

Why are people completely ignoring the fact that Emery said just a few days ago that we need something more, as in more singings to help the team, and he spoke in relative length about it, he talked making signings and then more if players leave. We will be making more sigings, just because papers don't have a running commentary doesn't mean to say things aren't happening.

Quoting this for emphasis. We ain’t done. 

• Like 2

With the squad is as it is now there's room for 1 more signing (providing Coutinho leaves as expected and of course another if Digne left) before you're probably going to start having to leave at least a player out of the euro squad, etc.

The annoying thing is that Villa actually have a side with pretty strong depth in most positions, we just have about 6 injuries at the moment.

Villa will get 1 in, maybe 2. But signing any more than that will cause problems. Squad bloat will be avoided.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

but we needed a right back and haven't got one,

Konsa has been played at right back like he's already played for us before Emery and looked good and suits the system of left back bombing forward and right back tucking in and maybe Emery rates Cash anyway. So many we need a right back posts on here. Complaining for the sake of complaining 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Konsa has been played at right back like he's already played for us before Emery and looked good and suits the system of left back bombing forward and right back tucking in and maybe Emery rates Cash anyway. So many we need a right back posts on here. Complaining for the sake of complaining 

So I'm clear.

If we do sign a right back you'll still say it's the right move?

2 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Squad bloat will be avoided.

True facts. Everything that's come out about how Emery operates points to this. If you look at teams like Liverpool when they won the treble the core 11 played the majority of games in all comps 

• Like 1