Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

8 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Yes, and did you look at Pool? I don’t see how they can keep in top four. 

I based my "should be worried" on "should fear relegation" because I cannot switch that part of my brain off in the era I've grown up supporting Villa. Feels like a relegation scrap is inevitable any minute now haha. I think there's 10 teams looking good for relegation this year which means good news for the promoted sides, who I think could all potentially surprise and keep themselves above the line. 

Leicester and Southampton must be screaming themselves to sleep, I think their current squads are good enough to stay up in this new season if they hadn't got it so wrong last year. 

I think the Liverpool side looks very good in an attacking sense personally, I like Szbolsosjfuiskxj and Mac Allister and their forward players are potent when on form. 

Van Dijk looked not himself last year, they need to hope giving him the armband brings back some form, I do not rate their centre backs and the full backs are offering nothing defensively either. My two cents anyway. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

scrambling around in desperation to get deals done

... is the English way

The time has come, the window's over, thought they'd someone more to play...

Edited by Kiwivillan

47 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

It’s too early to call as to who will end up strengthening sufficiently or doing good business… who’s succeeded, who’s failed, who’s weaker, who’s much stronger… there’s still time and a LOT of business tends to get done toward the deadline…

I agree with this and would go further by saying you can’t tell until the season is well underway.. Those that are often proclaimed to have ‘won’ the transfer window often go on to make little impact. Other teams underwhelming signings go on to be incredible.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, villan95 said:

I'd say we've done pretty well so far compared to most

F2eCUjBWQAIDuVz.thumb.jpeg.62c25e9e08aae24146f32f33ad4b324b.jpeg

Not looking at fees or anything like that, we're in the same class as the traditional elite clubs while everyone else is trailing by some quality.  I'd put us in the same category as Arsenal and Chelsea (on paper at least).  Newcastle's business looks poor so far because I think Tonali will be a huge bust and Barnes is very overrated, Spurs will lose Kane in the next few weeks and because of that they'll be significantly worse, Liverpool still need midfielders to play behind Mac Allister which they might not get depending on their supposed budget problems, and Man United are struggling to find a starting striker. 

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, villan95 said:

Burnley look like they've been rounding up folk at the bus stop. I think I've only heard of one of their signings- Redmond. And he was alright 5 years ago. 

My initial relegation picks, based on how they have strengthened (or not) would be Burnley, Luton and (Sorry Ash) Everton.

Side note- I'd love to know what proportion of signings in the top european leagues these days have the surname Traore. I reckon it must be at least 5%.

Edited by HKP90
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, allani said:

I said quite a few times last season that I thought that Buendia looked much better in matches when he came on as a sub - he looked hungry, he looked to have a bit of extra zip and he often did enough to "earn" a start the next week.  But then when he started it seemed to take him longer to have a real impact on the game.  It's a bit of a dilemma.  But for me with Diaby in the team then Ramsey is ahead of Buendia for the other attacking option regardless of whether we sign someone else or not.  Buendia should have suited a Dean Smith team (I actually think that he, Jack and Ollie would have been a good combination) but he's kind of in that gap between being not quite enough of a goal threat (goals/assists) to be an attacker and not quite strong enough under the press / defensively to be a midfielder.  So it's hard to see exactly which player's shirt he'll be trying to take in the starting XI.  But he gives an option on the bench and is also plenty good enough to play a bigger role in specific matches.

I love him, when he's on it.

but, consistency, is his enemy.

Against Newky, he was sublime...then 2 sub standard offerings.....we simply don't know which version, we are getting, match to match.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, villan95 said:

Good chart that - had missed quite a few of those transfers. I tell you what - Everton need to get the finger out. Needed a big summer after last season, and they’ve signed a loan deal and a free transfer…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

City interested on Doku and Chelsea interested in Tyler Adams. Spurs and Brennan Johnson. 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Many will tell you Tyler Adam’s is no better than Dendonker so this is fine. 

dobt forget, Bentancur isnt as good as Nakamba.

9 hours ago, RicRic said:

Cant support the same aston villa i support as i have love for the fans here every single one of them and do not bash 👍🏽 

Let’s have the irony conversation again, you bashed two people then said you don’t bash anyone! 😂

Not getting into the “I am a better fan than you” crap.  I am not 12!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RicRic said:

I never said torres wasn’t good enough for us i just had to raise some concerns and the responses was unjust, id take him at villa but would rather assess all areas before we dive in due to his big name.

You’re right you never said he wasn’t good enough you just agreed with a post that said why would we be ever be interested due to his goal record - I’ll give you that. Also why is pointing out the error of your thinking regarding Torres who sort help and improved unjust ? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I think Liverpool is getting seriously overrated this year. I could also see Tottenham being a shitshow. And I don’t think Brighton is going to be as much of a threat.

8 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Yes, and did you look at Pool? I don’t see how they can keep in top four. 

- They won't have that first half dip this season

- They have already strengthened and will still be buying players

- They finished last season on top form, winning most of their games in the last quarter of the season.

IMO of course, i hope you are right!

• Like 1