Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

21 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'd be thrilled to start the season with what we have. We've signed 3 top class players already. 

My only concern is RB, really. Ezri might be able to play the role, or we invert and let Cash further forward with Pau LB, but I'm not convinced.

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

It almost sounds as if something has already been agreed...:detect:

But who for, and why the delay? :detect:

Perhaps the other club need to line up a replacement...:detect:

So you’re saying we’re signing Harry Kane?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I never understand that....We all throw our opinions in the ring for new players.....But I would never want a player signed to be a dud, just to prove myself right...under such circumstances, I would be delighted to be proved wrong.

The welfare of the team trumps my own judgment, every time.

Yep.

When it comes to Villa… I have really, really, REALLLLLLYYY enjoyed being wrong and proven wrong 😂

McGinn being one example… delighted to see how he has been transformed under Unai..

I was right before we appointed Unai, and it felt like complete shit 😂

I was right when we signed the players we did under Lambert (apart from Benteke!), that felt like shit too 😂

Right about the shitty 5 at the back under Deano, and it hurt… as well as shoehorning Watkins and Ings together…

There are many more… but I’d rather focus on  feeling good now 😂

Even Austin MacPhee isn’t THAT bad 😂😂🤣🤣

Thank you Unai

spacer.png

53 minutes ago, lexicon said:

My only concern is RB, really. Ezri might be able to play the role, or we invert and let Cash further forward with Pau LB, but I'm not convinced.

If we get an RB it’ll be someone young to compete with Cash, unless Emery and Monchi can find a right sided bargain like Moreno.

10 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Yep.

When it comes to Villa… I have really, really, REALLLLLLYYY enjoyed being wrong and proven wrong 😂

McGinn being one example… delighted to see how he has been transformed under Unai..

I was right before we appointed Unai, and it felt like complete shit 😂

I was right when we signed the players we did under Lambert (apart from Benteke!), that felt like shit too 😂

Right about the shitty 5 at the back under Deano, and it hurt… as well as shoehorning Watkins and Ings together…

There are many more… but I’d rather focus on  feeling good now 😂

Even Austin MacPhee isn’t THAT bad 😂😂🤣🤣

Thank you Unai

spacer.png

A few got that one wrong, while McGinn was singing his praises......it seems UE trusts him too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Perhaps on day 1, yes, but Torres will get in soon enough... he's a superb player. 

Emery has raised the level of all of most our squad - from when he arrived in November, were we the 3rd best team from that point? Thats quite amazing really. Hoping to see a new Bailey and a fit Carlos as well. Looking forward to it. 

I don’t think you can argue that he’s been a revelation. A superb manager. The high line worries me a bit but he’s without doubt the best manager we’ve had at the club for a long, long time. 

I’m just, at present, not in full agreement that this has been a great window. I think it’s been ok, good even, but there’s just this feeling gnawing away at me that we’re not THAT much stronger. Maybe I’m being glass half full.

At the start of the window, I’d have said our main priorities were Support Striker, Wide player, Right Back and Back up GK. So far we’ve signed Diaby, who I assume is the wide player in that scenario, and a CM and CB. I get that as a squad we will be stronger for it, but I feel we haven’t improved the pressing areas (of course that might change). Does Torres get in ahead of Mings? Sure, on paper he might do but he may struggle to adapt. Does Tielemans start ahead of Kamara, Luiz and McGinn in central midfield - not sure. Diaby looks to be a fantastic signing. It’s highly likely we’ll be starting with Cash at right back, Olsen in some cup games and one of Buendia/Bailey/Coutinho most of the time.

Like I say, good window in many respects, just would have preferred a new support striker and right back above most. Hopefully we can move a few on and do some business. Somebody like a Doku/Felix level signing and I’d be over the moon. 

You can argue against all of the points above and it does come across very glass half empty. Tin hat on. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I don’t think you can argue that he’s been a revelation. A superb manager. The high line worries me a bit but he’s without doubt the best manager we’ve had at the club for a long, long time. 

I’m just, at present, not in full agreement that this has been a great window. I think it’s been ok, good even, but there’s just this feeling gnawing away at me that we’re not THAT much stronger. Maybe I’m being glass half full.

At the start of the window, I’d have said our main priorities were Support Striker, Wide player, Right Back and Back up GK. So far we’ve signed Diaby, who I assume is the wide player in that scenario, and a CM and CB. I get that as a squad we will be stronger for it, but I feel we haven’t improved the pressing areas (of course that might change). Does Torres get in ahead of Mings? Sure, on paper he might do but he may struggle to adapt. Does Tielemans start ahead of Kamara, Luiz and McGinn in central midfield - not sure. Diaby looks to be a fantastic signing. It’s highly likely we’ll be starting with Cash at right back, Olsen in some cup games and one of Buendia/Bailey/Coutinho most of the time.

Like I say, good window in many respects, just would have preferred a new support striker and right back above most. Hopefully we can move a few on and do some business. Somebody like a Doku/Felix level signing and I’d be over the moon. 

You can argue against all of the points above and it does come across very glass half empty. Tin hat on. 

Diaby is the support striker, he’ll be playing along side Watkins.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Diaby is the support striker, he’ll be playing along side Watkins.

Maybe so, but then we haven’t improved out wide have we? We still have McGinn and Ramsey as the left and right sided options. Good players, no question, but I’d like top top quality there if not just to push them. 

• Like 1

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

I’m just, at present, in agreement that this has been a great window. I think it’s been ok, good even, but there’s just this feeling gnawing away at me that we’re not THAT much stronger. Maybe I’m being glass half full.

I think we're better, the 3 signings plus then archer, PB and Ramsey even if they might go out on loan, Tim almost definitley will, hopefully duran settles down some more

A number 10 pushes us on another level

Fresneda would be a cherry on top

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Maybe so, but then we haven’t improved out wide have we? We still have McGinn and Ramsey as the left and right sided options. Good players, no question, but I’d like top top quality there if not just to push them. 

Agree with that

I take it as out starting 11 last year had Buendia and Bailey in it, we need to replace both, take your pick which one diaby is but we still need another

We'll get away with it if we don't and we'll still be a good team but we won't be a top one

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I think we're better, the 3 signings plus then archer, PB and Ramsey even if they might go out on loan, Tim almost definitley will, hopefully duran settles down some more

A number 10 pushes us on another level

Fresneda would be a cherry on top

Yeh, like I say, if we get that last forward/wide player role sorted, it will go down as a very good window. A new right back and I’d stick it down as our best window ever. 

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Diaby can play wide as well. We’re possibly  still looking for a wide player, probably why we’re still being linked with Doku

Just now, duke313 said:

Diaby can play wide as well. We’re possibly  still looking for a wide player, probably why we’re still being linked with Doku

I do genuinely think we’ll be in for one more forward player who can play across the front line. A Torres, Doku, Felix type player. It might well be that it’s dependent on somebody leaving - so be it if that’s the case, ultimately we can’t cheat (even though Chelsea and City do).

A right back, I’d like one, but I don’t think Cash is a bad player. I think Buendia and Bailey are poor though so that’s where we should spend most of our budget. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I do genuinely think we’ll be in for one more forward player who can play across the front line. A Torres, Doku, Felix type player. It might well be that it’s dependent on somebody leaving - so be it if that’s the case, ultimately we can’t cheat (even though Chelsea and City do).

A right back, I’d like one, but I don’t think Cash is a bad player. I think Buendia and Bailey are poor though so that’s where we should spend most of our budget. 

Buendia is not poor, he's one of our best players. Just stop moaning about him-please He will prove you very wrong in our Unai based system. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

10m. That would be shit deal for us

Id consider a loan see how he does in PL 

Yep. No chance we sell for £10m when he's had more experience on loan that Chukweumeka had. £20m plus as a minimum.

2 hours ago, allani said:

We don't have a best XI.  We have a best XVI.  We are pretty close to having a best XX.  Our best XI will vary week by week, match by match depending on who we are playing and whether we are home / away.  Which is exactly the way it should be.  A couple of signings (and we're pretty much all talking about exactly the same positions) and we'll have an entire bench that could all be considered players good enough to start.  I'm sure we'll all still have our favourites / fall-guys but the gap between our starting XI, match-day squad and even the back-up squad players is really beginning to close.

When you factor in the amount of games if Villa progress in Europe then the difference needs to close more. If it doesn’t then Villa will be treading in treacle by Christmas.