Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

48 minutes ago, allani said:

I think it is harsh to say that he has little end product.  I mean Leeds were awful in attack last season - you could put the best midfield in the world behind the Leeds front men and they still wouldn't score.  Has he done enough to suggest that he'll "guarantee" 15 + goal contributions?  No.  I fully agree with everything else you wrote in that post though.  If we have some spare "investment cash" once we have sorted our starting line-up then he could be a pretty good option.

It’s harsh, and it’s a harsh comparison, however I was trying to imply it’s a factor of his age. 

for the record I think he has a decent ceiling.. just right now, very raw and very inconsistent. Massive handful against us.. ineffective to many other teams. But yeah Leeds overall were ineffective. 

I’d happily sign him as a squad player with a future 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allani said:

I thought Young absolutely schooled Gnonto in the game against us and I am sure that Gnonto said later in the season that the player he struggled against most was our Ashley.  I'm not convinced - but wouldn't be averse to signing Torres and Gnonto and allowing Gnonto to have a couple of seasons to develop as a "super sub".  I think we'd easily make our money back even if he doesn't kick on loads.  But if we are looking for a starting player then Torres and Barnes would be way ahead in terms of preference at the moment.

Didn’t Gnonto beat Young to set up their goal? The battle between the two of them was superb that night - Young had him beaten every time except for the goal IIRC?

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Why are Gnonto and Barnes even in the conversation? Lazy links from relegated clubs, easy to make up. Want to break the top 6 and looking at players not on top 6 radar other than maybe some more lazy links. Why did we bother with scouts and Monchi?

I guess it’s because there’s less risk with players that have performed in the premier league. There’s a very good chance the big money signings from abroad will be flops. Just look at Chelsea/Manure/Spurs and the money they’ve wasted on players from other leagues. They know what Barnes and Gnonto can do in the PL - they don’t with continental players.

5 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Got say I thought Ashley was just about hanging on against Gnonto, and given a torrid time. Fortunately for us he held out and managed to hold him off in the end.

Yeah, that's roughly how I remember it too. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Didn’t Gnonto beat Young to set up their goal? The battle between the two of them was superb that night - Young had him beaten every time except for the goal IIRC?

It was indeed a good battle. What I liked most about Gnonto is that he didn’t give up and kept going back at Young.

Quite a few wingers these days seem to let their heads drop when they get tackled 2/3 times.

Could be a good singing under Emery & co. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Classic agent talk - highly doubt we were actually interested. Spurs fans think this is a big W. 

How is this a big win?

He was a bit part player for Fulham playing 10 - 20 mins here and there and was out for half the season after having knee surgery.

He's nothing but a squad player signing for Spurs and would have been the same here if we had signed him and i would have been massively underwhelmed.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Didn’t like Gnonto last season because of well the Leeds thing, but for 20 odd million I think he’s a player Emery can and will improve he looked a bright spark i a poor Leeds side so it’s likely that he’d thrive in a positive environment and a real football club (sorry I can’t resit a dig at Leeds when posting about them) I’d be happy signing him alongside another more established forward.

Gnonto is a decent player, and will only get better. Seems well suited to this league and someone who makes things happen, he has that dogged tenacity about him that all opposition hate and dread.

He played very well against us, but not sure how his season went, I assume well but not sure if he kept up the level shown against us? You would be buying potential here though.

• Like 1

Didn’t Gnonto ease Ash off of him and set up Leeds goal in our 2-1 win? I’ll have to go back and check, but making out that Young pocketed him all game is nonsense imo. That was a good back and forth between them as I remember it. On topic, for anything £20m-£25m I’d be all over it, Unai would take his game to another level.

• Like 2

Just now, Woody1000 said:

Didn’t Gnonto ease Ash off of him and set up Leeds goal in our 2-1 win? I’ll have to go back and check, but making out that Young pocketed him all game is nonsense imo. That was a good back and forth between them as I remember it. On topic, for anything £20m-£25m I’d be all over it, Unai would take his game to another level.

yeah, Young tried to feign a push (foul), Gnonto picked up the ball, went road runner stylee and they scored from that phase of play.

2 hours ago, useless said:

Gnonto is nothing like Adama I don't get that comparison at all, it's lazy, in fact what stood out to me most of all about him whenever I saw him play last season was the fact for a player of his type and young age he had very good decision making, and also didn't always try and do everything himself, knew when to try something or when to pass to a teammate.

Leeds dropped him towards the end of the season, but most Leeds fans baffled by that and blame it on poor managerial decisions rather than the player actually being poor, which shouldn't be hard for Villa fans to relate to, Gerrard dropped the likes of Luiz, Mings and so on, a player getting dropped isn't always their fault.

You don't get as many caps for Italy that Gnonto has at his age if you're not a very promising player, even if Italy aren't as good as usual at the moment.

I doubt our interest in him anyway, as he plays on the left cutting onto his right, he's not getting in our team ahead of Jacob, and as back-up to Jacob would probably block the pathway of Aaron, if we want a player of his type makes much more sense for us to go for one that plays on the right hand side, which is why I think the winger is more likely to be someone like Williams, Johnson, Chukwueze or Henrique.

I think we will also sign an additional attacker as competition for Buendia.

thank you for saying Jacob and not JJ

2 hours ago, allani said:

I thought Young absolutely schooled Gnonto in the game against us and I am sure that Gnonto said later in the season that the player he struggled against most was our Ashley.  I'm not convinced - but wouldn't be averse to signing Torres and Gnonto and allowing Gnonto to have a couple of seasons to develop as a "super sub".  I think we'd easily make our money back even if he doesn't kick on loads.  But if we are looking for a starting player then Torres and Barnes would be way ahead in terms of preference at the moment.

It's been thoroughly covered above by various people but just to add my thoughts on the side of Gnonto's...

Young was the hardest opponent he faced... and yet he still got an assist. That tells you how he reacts to adversity. 

He's got speed, skill,  and determination. He's 19. He's already been capped by Italy. 

For 21m he is an absolute no brainer signing. Especially comparing him with the signing of Duran we made last season.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

In fairness that's how I remembered it, the lad got the better of him once and was frustrated as hell leaving the field with a face covered in paint from the pitch.

I've compared him Aaron Connelly before, very direct but not sure he has the end product.

Young won three quarters of his duals that night while Gnonto only managed a third of his. You'd imagine a large portion of those were against one another so it's fair to say Young got the better of things.