Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If price is right id take him. Under hopeless managers and a crappy team. I think under emery he could be excellent 

We need our three forward players to be getting 15+ goal contributions each (and ideally those figures being independent from each other - i.e. 10 assists from one resulting in 10 goals for another would be 10 contributions not 20).  I just don't see that Gnonto can be expected to do that next season or probably even the season after.  As a back-up to Torres (or similar) then he'd be great because he would almost certainly chip in with a few assists / goals from the bench.  I'd certainly prefer to see him coming on than Bertie or probably Coutinho (although part of me still thinks that if we can get Coutinho fit then Emery's the type of manager who could get him firing again).

5 minutes ago, allani said:

I thought Young absolutely schooled Gnonto in the game against us and I am sure that Gnonto said later in the season that the player he struggled against most was our Ashley.  I'm not convinced - but wouldn't be averse to signing Torres and Gnonto and allowing Gnonto to have a couple of seasons to develop as a "super sub".  I think we'd easily make our money back even if he doesn't kick on loads.  But if we are looking for a starting player then Torres and Barnes would be way ahead in terms of preference at the moment.

Agree with this. The closest comparison I can think of is Adama Traore, who is the living embodiment of 'flatters to deceive'. Gnonto has a lot to work with but a lot to work on too. For 25m, I think it could be worth a punt but, like you said, definitely not for the first team. 

Torres for me is the number one option by a long way. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, allani said:

What about if Monchi has compared Johnson to other options across his network of contacts and still decided that he is the best option?  Does that suddenly make it a bad signing and him a bad appointment or does it suggest that if one of the best in the business thinks that Johnson is worth signing (and presumably it would be two of the best because I imagine that Monchi and Emery will be pretty tight on potential signings) then actually it probably will be an excellent signing validated by people who know what they are doing?  I would be surprised but Monchi and Emery know a lot more about football, what type of players they are after, etc than I do.

You may well be correct, the point I was trying to make is that Monchi hasn’t made his name off of buying players from bottom half clubs for £50m, so I’d be surprised if he did that here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Why are Gnonto and Barnes even in the conversation? Lazy links from relegated clubs, easy to make up. Want to break the top 6 and looking at players not on top 6 radar other than maybe some more lazy links. Why did we bother with scouts and Monchi?

Maybe if the scouts and Monchi are suggesting those players stack up as better options than other players they have been watching?  Although I have to say that Barnes isn't near the top of my list.  Gnonto maybe as a sub - Roberto Mancini is a pretty decent judge of a player too, so for Gnonto to be getting a chance with Italy is not to be dismissed lightly.  A way off some of the other players we have been linked with for that position but if we found some spare change down the back of the sofa then he'd be a pretty decent option to give us more variety off the bench.  

1 minute ago, Woody1000 said:

You may well be correct, the point I was trying to make is that Monchi hasn’t made his name off of buying players from bottom half clubs for £50m, so I’d be surprised if he did that here.

Yeah I don't disagree.  I guess my point is that if we do buy players from bottom half teams for £50m then it is because Monchi and Emery think that they can turn them into £100m top 6 players.  So I'd be less nervous about us doing it than I would have been if any of our recent managers / recruitment teams were doing it.

• Like 1

I think "Value for money" will play a bit part in our next signings....as they have done in the 2 so far.

sure, they have to be the right player, and fit our pre-requisite, but I think the club are well aware of the value to be garnered from clubs with pressures to sell.

I think the strategy is mature and prudent.

Gnonto is a Saint-Maximin/Adama Traoré type. Tricky fast winger with little end product. However just 19, plenty room for improvement. Reasonable price. Even as an asset alone, his worth the buy, because he’s value is only going to go up 

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, allani said:

Yeah I don't disagree.  I guess my point is that if we do buy players from bottom half teams for £50m then it is because Monchi and Emery think that they can turn them into £100m top 6 players.  So I'd be less nervous about us doing it than I would have been if any of our recent managers / recruitment teams were doing it.

it doesn't mean the teams that have struggled last season don't have good players.....it means as a team, they have lost their way.

I think there is some low hanging fruit to be had.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think "Value for money" will play a bit part in our next signings....as they have done in the 2 so far.

sure, they have to be the right player, and fit our pre-requisite, but I think the club are well aware of the value to be garnered from clubs with pressures to sell.

I think the strategy is mature and prudent.

Just as long as they don't descend into Ellis style "tightness"......... which they won't!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Gnonto is a Saint-Maximin/Adama Traoré type. Tricky fast winger with little end product. However just 19, plenty room for improvement. Reasonable price. Even as an asset alone, he’s worth the buy, because he’s value is only going to go up 

I think it is harsh to say that he has little end product.  I mean Leeds were awful in attack last season - you could put the best midfield in the world behind the Leeds front men and they still wouldn't score.  Has he done enough to suggest that he'll "guarantee" 15 + goal contributions?  No.  I fully agree with everything else you wrote in that post though.  If we have some spare "investment cash" once we have sorted our starting line-up then he could be a pretty good option.

13 minutes ago, lexicon said:

If anything those highlights back up the point that Young got the better of him tbh. 

He did for most the game but there was the one instance where Gnonto put him on his arse and got the assist for Bumford.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

it doesn't mean the teams that have struggled last season don't have good players.....it means as a team, they have lost their way.

I think there is some low hanging fruit to be had.

The issue is that that low hanging fruit also seems to be massively over-valued by the clubs that got relegated.  If there are better fruit slightly higher up the tree that look more juicy and cost less then I'd be happy to climb past the expensive stuff on the lower branches.