Jhon Durán

PieFacE

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Ultimately though if Ollie is fit he starts every single prem game we have left. Maybe he might be on the bench for Europa if we have a 2 or 3 lead but that feels unlikely.

Duran is in the same position he was six months ago which is where the frustration started. He needs to be starting 20 games in a row somewhere sooner or later so the summer will be interesting.

Fulham took Broja on loan from Chelsea so they're clearly in the market for that profile of CF so I'd offer them Duran on season long loan.

He needs to be playing regularly next season and I just don't see how that's going to happen with Ollie still firmly the number one.

The issue is we’re making it tough for ourselves all the time (ofcourse a lot of things included), so every game is becoming more important than the previous one. If we got 4-6 points from our next 2, I’d start Duran against City for example. 

3 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

We are going to have to rotate if we want to win the Conference League and finish top 4. Same next season whatever competition we qualify for.

People said that this time last year. Duran started I think the first two Europa group games, scored in Warsaw but then was poor v Mostar and subbed at half time and Ollie took over afterwards. Ollie also started every single Sunday game after those fixtures.

I think this is where Duran's frustrations stem from. He started the season fine with goals v Everton, Hibs etc. Then in a week he scored a huge goal v Palace which was fantastic technique and was a huge win. Also scored a goal away to Legia and I really think he was expecting a run of starts in the prem at that point. Instead Ollie scored at Chelsea and then the hat-trick v Brighton and that was that.

It reminds me of Davis even though Duran has far more potential. People going on about what an effective striker he was but we never saw it as he hardly played and eventually stagnated.

Duran needs to be starting 20 games somewhere next season. To have been here 18 months and not started one prem match is pretty incredible. 

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

People said that this time last year. Duran started I think the first two Europa group games, scored in Warsaw but then was poor v Mostar and subbed at half time and Ollie took over afterwards. Ollie also started every single Sunday game after those fixtures.

I think this is where Duran's frustrations stem from. He started the season fine with goals v Everton, Hibs etc. Then in a week he scored a huge goal v Palace which was fantastic technique and was a huge win. Also scored a goal away to Legia and I really think he was expecting a run of starts in the prem at that point. Instead Ollie scored at Chelsea and then the hat-trick v Brighton and that was that.

It reminds me of Davis even though Duran has far more potential. People going on about what an effective striker he was but we never saw it as he hardly played and eventually stagnated.

Duran needs to be starting 20 games somewhere next season. To have been here 18 months and not started one prem match is pretty incredible. 

I know where you are coming from but i also think that two things have stopped him starting. Firstly Ollie has been bulletproof and secondly Emery seems to make people earn their time on the pitch. He is in his head a development player still. Doesnt give minutes out easily. Kesler hasnt had a minute despite being on the bench for the last 8 games or so. 

I cannot see him getting a loan either next season. We haven't got anyone else to be back up in our youth and i doubt we will be spending heavily on a striker, especially as they have such a huge premium  

I think that frustrations aside, he is doing well for a kid that just turned 20. Showed alot more on Thursday than i had seen before . That longer time on the pitch and the 3 or 4 chances he had plus the goal will do him alot of good. Despite causing chaos it was the most mature performance from him yet. He was so raw when he came a year ago. Still is to be fair but you can see the coaching has helped. 

Cannot teach that kind of power and though in his shots..Thats the difference maker. Why clubs will bid big money for him in the future once he has matured. 

I read the other day we had another young Colombian over for a 2 week trial so wondering if the club are actively looking for a younger Spanish speaker for Duran to buddy-up with to help him settle.

Whilst we have a lot of South American players at the moment, they’re all a little older and mature than Duran is. 

it can’t be easy for such a young kid moving to a new country and not being used to the language etc.

He certainly has something about him so hope Unai can fine tune his natural ability and hone his skills. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I read the other day we had another young Colombian over for a 2 week trial so wondering if the club are actively looking for a younger Spanish speaker for Duran to buddy-up with to help him settle.

Whilst we have a lot of South American players at the moment, they’re all a little older and mature than Duran is. 

it can’t be easy for such a young kid moving to a new country and not being used to the language etc.

He certainly has something about him so hope Unai can fine tune his natural ability and hone his skills. 

That in my opinion is why you don't send him out on loan

The kid has already made a huge leap in his life, now you put an arm round him and look after him, you don't shift him again 

Crazy to think that JPA changed the PL forever in that regard 

• Like 2

On 14/03/2024 at 22:38, Delphinho123 said:

He has that pro evo 5 99 Adriano shot power thing going on and I’m absolutely here for it. 

Sometimes it’s Row Z, sometimes it’s a rocket into the back of the net (or just bouncing over the line). When he hits a ball, it stays hit.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Back on the bench next match, offered nothing today

He didn't, but you could say the same about Watkins today.

West ham had both of them in their pockets, denying them any space 

1 hour ago, WooJung said:

He didn't, but you could say the same about Watkins today.

West ham had both of them in their pockets, denying them any space 

Agreed - I do feel for him today. His start was justified imo and he had very little in terms of service and/or luck.

I hope this does not curb his enthusiasm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Callum said:

No service, awful crossing from either wing 

We're well known for piling multiple crosses into the "big man" aren't we..... If we're advocating a fundamental change in tactics to accommodate Duran we're entering Scot Hogan territory.

Duran is raw, it's understandable, but he doesn't help himself. He sits on the shoulder of the farthest defender with his arm up hoping for the Hollywood pass. He's got to do more than that and contribute to the team generally. It's a minimum requirement for a top level side.

He's got the physical attributes to be a monster. I just hope he's got enough sense to listen and learn from one of the best coaches in world football and put in the graft needed to improve.

Edited by jimmygreaves
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

We're well known for piling multiple crosses into the "big man" aren't we..... If we're advocating a fundamental change in tactics to accommodate Duran we're entering Scot Hogan territory.

Duran is raw, it's understandable, but he doesn't help himself. He sits on the shoulder of the farthest defender with his arm up hoping for the Hollywood pass. He's got to do more than that and contribute to the team generally. It's a minimum requirement for a top level side.

He's got the physical attributes to be a monster. I just hope he's got enough sense to listen and learn from one of the best coaches in world football and put in the graft needed to improve.

Most strikers, even in Unai’s system, will have the least amount of touches on the team. 

The thunderblasts are amazing but the majority of the match for him is played off the ball and he’s got a long way to go to come close to matching Ollie. 

3 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

He doesn't need crosses, he needs balls in behind and to feet. He didn't get either today.

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

He doesn't need crosses, he needs balls in behind and to feet. He didn't get either today.

The thing is it’s hard to work to get into position. He’s going to work hard to get in behind or in front of his marker to feet 10x and maybe receive the ball once or twice. 

Right now, he’s young and gives up once he doesn’t get the ball a few times but that doesn’t stop the best strikers. Needs to work on his movement over and over again knowing he won’t get the ball most of the time. 

On 17/03/2024 at 09:35, MWARLEY2 said:

Chaos incoming. He earned this start on Thursday night . Take this chance Rocketman

Think this is the thing - lots of crying “what was Unai thinking?” and I even saw someone say “what would Diaby think with Duran starting ahead of him?” but if he hadn’t started Duran, after coming off the bench and scoring a screamer vs Ajax, we would be thinking “well what does he have to do.” We have more than 11 players now and not every selection gamble will pay off but all these lads are learning the PL as they go so the minutes are valuable for our future whatever.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DJBOB said:

The thunderblasts are amazing but the majority of the match for him is played off the ball and he’s got a long way to go to come close to matching Ollie. 

For sure, but comparing him age 20 with a bunch of sub appearances under his belt to a 28-year-old who is probably the best off the ball striker in the league is a tough comparison. I didn’t watch Watkins for Exeter when he was Duran’s age but I’m sure he also had a long way to go to match where he is today.

Â